1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

EOS 5D Mark III 22MP full-frame DSLR

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Jackolow, Feb 23, 2012.

1. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

There is one thing that I don't see people talking about is that while 22mp is less than 36mp, 22mp is a known quantity. I know how my current lenses are going to perform. 36mp is a bit of an unknown quantity. Will I need to upgrade my lenses? And if I get the one without an AA filter, how will that change my workflow?

Honestly 21 or 22mp is enough IMHO. Can I have better High ISO performance, and better Dynamic range please.

2. bugeyes

bugeyes Member

Well it's 9:00 am in Shanghai what time does that event start?

3. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

I thought it was 9:30, but it could be 12pm?

4. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

In terms of workflow dealing with all that data, yes, but in terms of lenses not really. The current APS-C cameras are 18mp, the pixel density of which would give a 46mp FF sensor.

It's why I was so surprised to see a new 24-70 but without a big jump in resolution - I would've expected that to be the reasoning behind a new 24-70 being needed.

5. lothloriel

lothloriel Member

So is the III any better than the II for landscapes? I.e. taking at 100ISO @ max res? Just by looking at the specs, i can't see any reason why i'd get the III over the II - unless the per pixel density is really that much better.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  6. bugeyes

bugeyes Member

Depends on the dynamic range an anti-aliasing filter, image quality may be similar or it may quite superior. Until the camera is scientifically tested, and sample images are available, then who knows.

7. redhairkid

redhairkid Member

1080p @ 60fps would be awesome and perhaps even 720p @ 120fps. Unfortunately I don't think we'd see these sorts of specs in a reasonably priced stills camera and video cameras with these sorts of specs cost way too much $$$ :upset:

8. dlcx

dlcx Member

So with you on that one.
    Sounds like high mpx is a bit of double edged sword.
    Nikon released a guide on how to take pictures with the D800, as due to the high mpx its more susceptible to camera shake.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en_US/o/Y6wrkA9OU_z04IreazIXl_22UII/PDF/D800_TechnicalGuide_En.pdf

"..While its high pixel count of 36 megapixels gives the D800/
    D800E resolution unrivalled by previous digital SLR cameras,
    a side effect is that bokeh and blur are made that much more
    obvious. Realizing the full potential of a camera with over
    30 million pixels involves a thorough appreciation of bokeh
    and blur, careful selection of settings and of tools (such as
    lenses and tripods), and working with the best possible subject"

.. "With the D800/D800E, you will notice that photos seem to have
    less depth of i eld than pictures shot with other cameras under
    the same conditions, and that focus consequently requires more
    attention. As can be seen from the examples below, changing
    the focus point even slightly can blur important details"

It keeps mentioning camera shake, having to use the right aperture for the lens etc.
    Maybe they are blowing it out of proportion? Dunno.. All I'm trying to say is that is sounds like, after reading it, that its going to be a fussy camera to use especially for non-static stuff.
    Whats the point of extra resolution if its harder to take a good picture? Not to mention all the extra storage/pc requirements for handling bigger file sizes.

Think I'm happy with 22 mpx. Wish it was cheaper tho :(

9. Athiril

Athiril Member

Looks like you have the option of using I-frame/Intra (no GOP). That would be good if it down scales properly, and is better than the "4:2:0" (examined GH2 output.. like the video but the sub-sampling is significantly worse than 4:2:0)

10. bubblegoose

bubblegoose Member

I'm kinda disappointed tbh. well, maybe i'm actually quite happy inside, I just dunno what I feel.

I was thinking the 5D3 was going to come out, and turn the 5D2 in my mind into a completely worthless and incapable camera. forcing me to sell and upgrade or I will feel inadequate. But the truth is, it doesn't.

I shoot a lot of stuff, from people, to landscapes, to events. And while others have found fault in the 5D2, I have not. And the new camera brings nothing new to the table that could possibly justify me to fork out the extra cash.

I have never had an issue with focus, even in low light. I have a 580EXII thats set to assist when its not needed. And means I can focus in very very very low light, easily.

I don't shoot sports, and those that were trying to use a 5D2 to shoot sports in the first place were obviously insane, and probably couldn't tell an orange from a grapefruit. So extra AF points means nothing to me. (This includes shooting speed, which is also useless)

The Megapickle count is as near as makes no difference the same as the 5D2.

The extra slot for an SD card just seems pointless, as I really don't like or trust SD cards.

And the rest is just gimmicky bullshit.

And I'm not going to jump ship to the D800 just because "I shoot landscapes and need more Megapickles because that's what landscape shooters need" rar rar BULLSHIT. The 5D2 is fine, and even when I crop the shit out of it, I still end up with shots I can print at A3 sizes JUST FINE. Hell, I have even printed panoramas I did on my 40D back in the day at 4+meters wide and over a meter high, and it looks fantastic.

It seems Nighcon have gone down the (seemingly tired) sales pich path of throwing more pickles into a camera and telling everyone it's the best. What a load of wank juice.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  11. vindicator

vindicator Member

^ I'm glad that you are still able to validate your tribalism.

12. Joshzors

Joshzors (Banned or Deleted)

From memory the announcement is 2PM AEST (3PM AESDT).

13. bubblegoose

bubblegoose Member

^Why thank you. I was worried for a moment you wouldn't be that glad.

14. HumbleBum

HumbleBum Member

hehe.. trust me, I still had my $4k of canon lenses, I wouldnt be jumping ship. Its just too painful, but to quote another forum.

Where is the $500 in value? I would rather spend that on glass..

15. bubblegoose

bubblegoose Member

As everyone knows. The real difference is only going to come out when you compare images. So the sooner they come out, the sooner anyone can make any real assumptions. For instance, when I set the 5D2 to small jpeg (4.2mp), and compare it to a 12MP (lower speced DSLR) even when I re sample the 5D2 image up to 12MP, it still looks better.

Not to say the D800 will be rubbish, it just may not equate to a 16MP increase in quality over the 5D2/3

16. jars121

jars121 Member

I don't think it's 'wank juice'. They've identified that a lot of commercial and studio photographers have left 35mm digital in favour of medium format digital, due to the dynamic range and resolution. A 36MP camera with supposedly 14 stops of DR is putting it on par with some of the $20,000+ systems.

17. bubblegoose

bubblegoose Member

And if that's the case, good on them.

I was basically just referring to the Higher megapixels is all that matters sales pitch as being "mummy daddy soup".

So if they are doing it for a specific reason, then that's ok. :thumbup:

18. jars121

jars121 Member

Yeah I know exactly what you mean :thumbup:

That's just my thought process, I have no idea if that's what they're going for. Considering how 'cheap' digital backs are becoming, it was inevitable that the 35mm guys would have to make a play at that market.

19. ninoloco

ninoloco Member

didn't read this whole thread.
    Hope this has the built in timelapse like that new Nikon. Automatically compiles all the photos and plays on the fly after you've done your time lapse. No need to take the photos out and compile using a pc.

One feature that I like on the nikon but I'll never make the switch :) I love my 5d mkii

20. bubblegoose

bubblegoose Member

Using a DSLR for timelapses is like using a like using a chisel as a Flathead screwdriver. It's going to work for a bit, but after a while it's going to be stuffed.