1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

Epic Games Vs Steam - A Battle Worth Watching

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by boneburner, Dec 5, 2018.

1. boneburner

boneburner Member

Epic Games (Unreal Engine, Fortnight) faced a slow demise a few years back, when all of a sudden they leapt back to life with some business decisions that have paid dividends - and then some.

Armed with the same attitude that pulled them out from that hole, Epic Games announced they will be starting an online storefront in 2019, which they will continue to grow with an eye to favor the game developers - with Epic only taking 12% of the sale price. As an added bonus, games built with UE4 (their current game engine) will also have the 5% license fee waived.

It's no secret that Steam makes disgusting amounts of money (somewhere around 4.3 billion in 2017) by charging 30% of the sale price - with only very recent news they will reduce it a tiny bit once you hit 10 million in sales.... It will be interesting to see their response once the Epic Store is up and running.

Normally I wouldn't be too excited to see yet another storefront - but Epic is in a very unique position to offer this service, so I look forward to seeing what this revitalised and nimble company brings to the table when i'ts formally announced at The Game Awards 2018 this Thursday.

More reading over @ ArsTechnica

2. power

power Member

the only way consumers will go over is price and or exclusivity. Stores outside of Steam all have one thing in common - they charge more and make way more margin.

3. neRok

neRok Member

Imagine if this store existed before PUBG was released. That developer could have paid 30% to Steam, and 5% to Epic (total 35%), OR 12% to Epic. It's obvious to see which is better for the developer, and thus probably better for the consumer.

4. power

power Member

Your PUBG example forgets exposure as well.

go onto Origin and price games, then tell me what's better for the consumer.

the below example shows pure margins and gouging. this title will most likely be exclusive to the platform as well (and I only get this price as an Access Basic member). It is developed and published by EA then sold on an EA storefront - tell me this is a consumer move with a straight face.

Epic already have shown they only care about profit by making FN available exclusively outside of the Play Store on Android.

Their pitch for this new service was addressed specifically at developers and no-one else. They are saying to developers, here come to our store and make more money on our platform.

upload_2018-12-6_9-49-27.png

5. RnR

RnR Member

That 30% is not the whole story. Steam allows developers to generate a large number of steam keys for free which the devs can then sell or parcel out to other sites, while incurring no charges for bandwidth or drm support. Steam don't earn anything from these keys or sales of these keys, but it gives developers a huge amount of flexibility.

Edit: its an interesting move by Epic. Completely enabled by their Fortnite success. A store front to be successful needs to have millions of eyeballs - and Epic has this via their game launcher. There is a new beta out for the game launcher - I suspect this game launcher will transition to be both a launcher and store front.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    power likes this.
  6. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Competition is good, but nobody should think Epic are doing this to be nice.

They have no traffic to their store and developers don't care about them.

If they manage to take marketshare from Steam, they will increase the percentage they take as well.

They definitely have bait and switch in their business plan.

Honestly I don't think this is going to affect Steam at all, small developers use Steam for the traffic, and we aren't about to see PubG being sold on the Epic store.

But as mentioned, the better the competition does, the more Steam will have to improve.

7. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

Anything that puts a dent in Valve's coffers that pushes them to actually make games/something/anything is a good thing in my eyes.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    tunksy, Spyder6052 and Tinian like this.
  8. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Agreed. Steam's iron grip on PC gaming isn't healthy. Considering the entire selling point of PC hardware is freedom of choice at the consumer end, the software side of things is abysmal with "Windows+Steam" being almost mandatory for certain games.

9. neRok

neRok Member

Err, wtf are you smoking? I think many developers are interested in what the creators of Unreal Engine are doing.

elvis likes this.
  10. bart5986

bart5986 Member

There is no reason to sell a game on a store with no people to buy your game.

You would have a much larger audience on Gog if you wanted an alternative place to sell your game.

11. illdrag0n

illdrag0n Member

TBF, my steam usage has been minimal this year. I've been mostly using Ubisoft Launcher, Battleye, Origin etc etc

12. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

"No people" is objectively false. A small market is still a market, and just because something isn't a majority market holder doesn't make it invalid.

These things also don't happen overnight. As a developer/publisher, throwing your hands in the air and going "oh well, Steam's the biggest, I guess I should just get reamed" isn't the way to get things to change for the better. Change is gradual, and requires doing something different in order to occur.

13. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

I (and I suspect ALL early users) got roped into steam because I wanted to play half life 2.
    Without any sign of more, I am using it less and less.

I got roped into origin, but since EA ruined battlefield I never touch it...

I got roped into Ubisoft’s one for the fractured but whole, never touched it since...

Roped into battle.net...

Etc etc.

This one will rope in the 100 bijillion fortnite players and will do just as well as all the others.

14. power

power Member

I used Steam because of HL2 and stayed because it offers value. Something all the other services you've mentioned have a very hard time delivering.

15. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

Does anybody know the user count of Fortnite on PC? The numbers overall are ridiculous, but due to cross play it's hard to know what the PC specific numbers are. I'd imagine there would be a pretty healthy number floating through the Epic launcher just to get to Fortnite alone.

16. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

To be fair, steam has a hard time delivering value outside of the crazy sales as well.

I hope it starts to fall so valve have to become a developer again.

17. power

power Member

Name one other storefront that offers value like Steam? Even close I'll give you. They did it without competition too.

18. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Steam doesn't really effect pricing.

A steam competitor that takes 10% instead of 30% might prompt some smaller developers to give a small discount.

But overall, especially with larger publishers, it will be the exact same price everywhere.

All sales and pricing are set by the publisher/developer.

19. power

power Member

Epic are 15 years too late to make a dent imo. Even EA who are much bigger and uglier have had limited success only by locking their games to their platform.

20. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

What % does EA take from Origin sales? they have plenty of non EA games on there.