Epic Games Vs Steam - A Battle Worth Watching

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by boneburner, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Zabba

Zabba Member

The last 3 games I have bought where through GOG and I'm talking about new releases only. The price is competitive and I value their DRM free policy...even knowing that DRM is no longer that big of an issue these days with online content and such. I started playing in the era of "what's the 3rd word of the 1st sentence in page 227 of the manual" so DRM free holds more of a sentimental value than anything else :p

2. BistecConBigote

BistecConBigote Member

I thought I would end up using GoG exclusively due to their DRM stance when they started, but it just hasn't happened. I tell myself its because of the value-add features that Steam offers (auto-patching, chat, screenshots etc.) but since GoG Galaxy launched they probably have parity on these. In reality, its just the ecosystem of Steam friends and the level of prior investment I have in the platform that prevents me from buying elsewhere. I keep telling myself if Steam ever goes titsup, that somehow all of the games will be magically freed from their DRM prison, but that is probably a lie. Similarly, I tell myself that Steam won't do anything to outrageously hurt their customer base, but that is probably a lie too...

3. power

power Member

I for one have been on the platform 15 years, they've never done much to piss me off.

4. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

This has always pissed me off. Even parity I'd still get the disc / download code from JB's.

5. OP
    OP
    boneburner

boneburner Member

Store is Live and at Game Awards, Epic announced their first platform titles - these include:

• Ashen by A44 and Annapurna Interactive (now available)
    • Darksiders III by Gunfire Games and THQ Nordic (available Dec. 14)
    • Hades by Supergiant Games (now available)
    • Hello Neighbor: Hide and Seek by tinyBuild (now available)
    • Genesis Alpha One by Radiation Blue and Team17 (coming soon)
    • Journey by thatgamecompany and Annapurna Interactive (coming soon)
    • Maneater by Tripwire Interactive (coming soon)
    • Outer Wilds by Mobius Digital and Annapurna Interactive (coming soon)
    • Pathless by Giant Squid Studios (coming soon)
    • Rebel Galaxy Outlaw by Double Damage Games (coming soon)
    • Satisfactory by Coffee Stain Studios (coming soon)
    • Super Meat Boy Forever by Team Meat (coming soon)
    • World War Z by Saber Interactive (coming soon)

SPECIALS

• Subnautica by Unknown Worlds (available for free from Dec. 14 - Dec. 27)
    • Super Meat Boy by Team Meat (available for free from Dec. 28 - Jan. 10)

EPICGAMES.COM

:thumbup:

6. power

power Member

oh freebies, yes I'll sign up for them.

7. Boneman

Boneman Member

Free to play or free to keep?

Subnautica is easily worth playing either way.

8. ShaggyMoose

ShaggyMoose Member

I can't believe they would give Subnautica away permanently, not unless they paid the developers a truckload of cash. It has great reviews and has never been deeply discounted.

9. OP
    OP
    boneburner

boneburner Member

It's also been out (in one form or another) for 4 years and has more than paid for itself. I dont think Charlie Cleveland and his company would have been too hard to convince. Plus! add the effect of the free game to raise the games profile for the soon to be released expansion... Subnautica : Below Zero - and I'm sure someone has done the numbers and it all makes sense to the bottom line.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    tunksy likes this.
  10. ShaggyMoose

ShaggyMoose Member

Three years of that were EA... Although I didn't realise there was an expansion coming out, which makes more sense.

11. ShaggyMoose

ShaggyMoose Member

12. RnR

RnR Member

I agreed to get their beta game launcher installed (I'm a Fortnite tragic)... and yep its a store. A crappy store with not many products, but a store nonetheless.

13. mtma

mtma Member

The first wave was mostly CS (update 1.4 IIRC) where after the beta they shut down the server browser host and WON authentication system and moved everything to Steam.

The CS franchise has held up incredibly well!

14. japes

japes Member

Can only hope Steam finally reacts to a kick up the arse so I don't have to install another shitty fucking client, especially from Epic. It's a shame it took such a bad game to fund an alternative.

15. magius

magius Member

As much as I dislike Steam and their ridiculous pricing, it is pretty convenient and has a massive head start. I have yet to see any of the others make any serious dent to them. But who knows, a bit of healthy competition is always a good thing.

16. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

It really doesn’t bother me much. I like options. What I don’t like is locking titles down to platforms. But it is what it is, I don’t like installing unnecessary stuff on my battle station. I was forced into steam as well in the CS days. I remember having every game shortcut in my system tray, separate install wizards, etc. I do appreciate the convenience now with steam with consolidation and ease, the networking, auto updates, and backup. Regardless, I’ll usually hunt down whoever sells games the cheapest. Subnautica for free is going to be nice.

17. bart5986

bart5986 Member

With Epic aggressively throwing serious money for freebies it was already looking suspicious

But now that they are paying developers for timed exclusives of their new games, I don't know how anyone could support them.

Who wants to support a company who wants to turn PC gaming into the xbox/ps4 exclusive wars?

18. power

power Member

EA already did that as did Activision Blizzard.

I'd be interested to know what the revenue split is on consoles. I bet Epic would lock their titles to an Epic store on consoles if they had the chance.

19. bart5986

bart5986 Member

They did?

Making your own games exclusive is fine and expected as you get to take 100% of the profit and everything is their choice.

Paying other developers specifically not to release on steam is different.

20. power

power Member

good point, i was meaning locking their own to the platform as an exclusive.