Epic Games Vs Steam - A Battle Worth Watching

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by boneburner, Dec 5, 2018.

1. chook

chook Member

Yeah, everyone knows that desktops are for storing random files you download from the intarwebz and not shortcuts.

2. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

User Reviews, Achievements, Wish Lists, Cloud Saves, Game Overlay & Mod Support are all on the roadmap: https://trello.com/b/GXLc34hk/epic-games-store-roadmap

3. bart5986

bart5986 Member

According to this https://twitter.com/TimSweeneyEpic/status/1078047890520657920?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1078047890520657920&ref_url=https://variety.com/2019/gaming/news/epic-games-store-getting-review-system-1203125012/

Its an opt in system.

So in other words, no review system.

Nobody will keep reviews enabled unless the reviews are very positive.

Basically those testimonials that business' post on their website.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  4. OP
    OP
    boneburner

boneburner Member

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  5. Hookimus

Hookimus Member

Late response is late!

Yea it's 100% not a great thing for the industry or steam. It's just probably the only example of a game(s) that exist because of Steam framework

6. power

power Member

So Sweeney has come out with a bunch of lies still trying to justify bought and paid for exclusivity because he's a lying liar.

good news Fortnite ain't what it used to be - profits are way way down but still high enough while they get this shit stain storefront off the ground.

https://www.pcgamer.com/epic-games-boss-defends-exclusivity-strategy/

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  7. Goose1981

Goose1981 Member

I dunno. The points made about the 70/30 split stuff seems pretty sensible to me? The same issue is present in Apple's store, however that is a closed shop so harder to effect change in.

8. power

power Member

this?

you believe that?

from today's Metro Exodus page. What an amazing price reduction - I mean increased margin for Deep Silver.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/metro-exodus/home

upload_2019-6-27_11-23-54.png

9. Pasha_Bigdog

Pasha_Bigdog Member

What wrong with 70/30? I mean Steam provides tons of services to the developer.

10. Goose1981

Goose1981 Member

Companies that make games being more profitable means they don't have more resources to fund games?

Not sure i follow your logic. :confused:

Developers may indeed feel that the services provided by Steam are worth the 70/30 split. They are completely free to take part in it.

Others will believe that having those extra funds (18% of the revenue from their work) will be better put to work by themselves. Not sure how having the option (which having stores other than Steam presents) is some sort of 'huge lie'?

11. power

power Member

the steam split is miles better than what publishers used to have to go through.

EA and Ubisoft make 100% margin and look at their terrible prices on Origin and uPlay.

His reasons are his lie, that's his fake justification for trying to launch a store - the Fortnite cash won't last forever so he needs to pivot into something else.

Make no mistake he is talking to publishers, not end users (he's lying to gamers). They all want somewhere to put their shit now that physical stores are done.

Who do you chose as a smaller publisher? The store that gives you more revenue split or the one of the others?

12. Goose1981

Goose1981 Member

And the Epic split is better than the Steam split. Seems like progress with regards to the split topic?

So every publisher should have a store? That would end up being a pretty busy desktop with all the shortcuts!

Fair enough. As it isn't a statement that can be proven we can chalk it up to 'one guys opinion'. *shrug*

I'm not a publisher, but i would personally look for the best return on investment (which would include things like reach and split). Either way, an extra 18% of the revenue from your product is pretty enticing.

13. power

power Member

for publishers and Epic, no-one else.

I didn't say every publisher should have a store - that point is to demonstrate that a higher profit split only guarantees the publisher makes more money - not that they pass any savings on to the consumer.

These stores exist as proof that this is the case, in some cases the consumer ends up paying more because they cannot choose to go elsewhere.

He needs a way to get into the market and he's using money to get there then trying to claim it's adding competition. He is lying to consumers in the same breath that he is speaking to publishers, this is why i am calling him out as a liar. His store is also inferior and offers less value to the consumer.

14. bart5986

bart5986 Member

If the argument was genuinely about split then Epic wouldn't have purchased exclusives.

The developers would have naturally chosen Epic for the higher cut.

This would also mean natural, happy competition and would push Epic to offer a quality experience to customers, rather then trying to screw them.

Its every publisher/developer's right to have their own store.

Natural competition means that its up to Steam/Origin/Epic etc to offer better value then if the developer spent the money to do it themselves.

Steam etc get their profit from having games on their store, if they are not offering a good deal, they will have no profit.

There is no reason for Epic to act like scum or for customers to think its a good idea when natural competition is the healthiest way to solve it.

15. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Not everything is about money, in fact it is only one aspect of a much more complicated decision making process, this goes for almost everything in life.

16. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Business
    An organization or economic system where goods and services are exchanged for one another or for money.

17. Goose1981

Goose1981 Member

If it was just natural competition, and no store had exclusives, an 18% extra in the hands of those who make the games would be pretty great so they could remain viable easier until their next product.

Sounds like the only issue is an existance of exclusives in general. I don't have a console, so don't hang out in that part of the forum, so i've likely missed all the heated arguments from people on the topic in there.

The question i was replying to was about "smaller" publishers. Money would certainly be much higher up the rankings than other things as a "smaller" publisher, IMO.

I don't see any flaw in the logic that more money from the split going to the game publishers enables better outcomes for gamers in the form of more resources being able to be apportioned to creating / maintaining / extending gamers. I'm not on the 'cheaper games' bandwagon.

18. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Developers disagree.

Having a service with happy customers that want to buy your game seems to be more valuable to them then a straight up bigger cut of the profits.

Why even bother with 12% if the cut is all that matters?

You can do it yourself cheaper and its not like the client will be that much worse then Epic's client, which is a glorified website viewer and file downloader.

I can put together a vb.net game client in hours and then you just take 1.5%ish for credit card transactions though a payment service.

19. Goose1981

Goose1981 Member

Which would go back to my point earlier (you might have missed it) about 'reach'.

20. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

Prove it.