1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Epic Games Vs Steam - A Battle Worth Watching

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by boneburner, Dec 5, 2018.

1. bart5986

bart5986 Member

All their accounts have have repeated attempts though and nobody knows why, and plenty of other things like the fortnite breach.

Also

In August 2016, the Epic Games forum suffered a data breach, allegedly due to a SQL injection vulnerability in vBulletin. The attack resulted in the exposure of 252k accounts including usernames, email addresses and salted MD5 hashes of passwords.

The database/security/account login etc are all part of the website infrastructure.

2. power

power Member

personally i don't care about the existence of the thing, just that they are buying exclusives and forcing people to go through them.

chook likes this.
  3. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

Yes, their Vbulletin forums, not their Epic Account Services: https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/news/epic-games-account-security?sessionInvalidated=true

Yeah my response was more aimed at bart.
    I still don't really see the problem with launcher exclusivity though. I am FORCED to go through steam for some games too.

4. bart5986

bart5986 Member

The developer 100% made that choice without being bribed though, thats why I don't mind.

Their game, their choice.

I wouldn't except them to give up huge amounts of money, and thats why there is a problem.

5. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

And they didnt get bribed to go through epic, they got a better deal. Both Epic and game development companies are businesses designed for profit, what you are calling a bribe is a VERY standard business decision. You see brick and mortar stores get exclusive things, you think that shit comes free mate?
    And as I have said, Steam is in a financial position to compete with epic if they so desire.

6. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I would only agree with this if Epic gave this deal to all companies, and even more so if it was forever or a fixed amount of time.

Instead, they are just selectively bribing companies so they can take marketshare.

The problem with this is they have no reason to treat customers well because they are forcing customers to come to them.

There are two different exclusive deals

1. Exclusive deal for a game early in development, or at the start (See Sony, Microsoft, etc) Game is improved because of this.

2. Exclusive deal for an already finished game that was going to be on Steam, and the bribe means they move to Epic at the last minute. The game is not improved in any way.

I have no problem with Epic investing early on to help smaller companies/development studios, but this is not what they are doing at all.

Epic should instead choose to put their money into offering a better service, so the developers choose to go there, instead of being offered so much money they simply can't say no.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    ni9ht_5ta1k3r likes this.
  7. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

It is still a business decision though, that is what you are not getting. It is an entirely above board business decision. Not a bribe, a bribe would be illegal.

8. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Wait what?

"dishonestly persuade (someone) to act in one's favour by a gift of money or other inducement"

I don't think there are any laws against it...

9. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

10. OP
    OP
    boneburner

boneburner Member

In an amusing "Trust us we know what we're doing" moment - a poorly worded prize feature of the Steam Summer Sale has seen indie developers lose thousands of people from their Wishlist status per day.

The Grand Prix event lists possible prizes as including games from your wishlist - so users trying to maximise the chance of winning a big ticket item, have been shedding all the small indie games. This isn't the way it works - but its also a reminder to keep competition rules as fun, and as simple, as possible.

via ArsTechnica: Indie developers suggest Steam Summer Sale confusion is hurting their games

11. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

Confusing Steam summer sale dumpster fire continues... designed to squeeze more money from buyers, pissing off players and devs.
    ..and Steam user base is shrinking.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  12. neRok

neRok Member

13. power

power Member

yeah they know they have to, using their money to buy friends before it runs dry.

bart5986 likes this.
  14. neRok

neRok Member

Actually, it's just good business. That "press release" doesn't mention it, but if you search for articles regarding this story, a big factor is to break the current dependency a lot of developers have on paid apps sold by Autodesk, namely Maya and 3dsMax. By promoting and enhancing the free alternative, more developers can get started with game development on UE4 for less outlay (really, all you need to do is buy a capable PC, the rest is free). That should help grow their business.

15. power

power Member

that's exactly what i said!?

16. remlableinad

remlableinad Member

Random question on the subject as a whole;
    If you preorder a game in one because it's available on them both, then only one gets the rights...
    What happens to your preorder if exclusivity falls over the fence?

17. bart5986

bart5986 Member

On steam you will still get to keep and play the game.

But I wouldn't want to personally, the developers have already dumped the platform, I wouldn't be too confident about patches and support for the game on that platform.

18. remlableinad

remlableinad Member

dang,
    i have money sitting in my steam wallet and was thinking about preordering cyberpunk and a couple of vr games.....
    i guess I'll wait. if i purchase games between now and then can i chose to use the cred card instead of the steam wallet?

19. OP
    OP
    boneburner

boneburner Member

What utter bullshit.

Of course they will keep games up to date on Steam, even if the exclusivity deal takes them to Epic for the launch period - most of those deals are for set amounts of time only. Everything from a few weeks to the longest being a year so far - and even that is conjecture afaik.

The game developer hasn't "dumped the platform" - just been offered a better launch deal.

VirtualNinja likes this.
  20. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

OR you could buy Cyberpunk from the devs direct off GOG which is DRM free and 100% of the sale goes to them (they run the site):
    https://www.gog.com/game/cyberpunk_2077

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    greencamel65, Spyder6052, ZXR and 2 others like this.