Epic Games Vs Steam - A Battle Worth Watching

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by boneburner, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Murmandamus

Murmandamus Member

Doesn't apply here since there's no extra cost involved for consumers. There's no barrier to people using multiple stores.

What we have is a company actually competing instead of just charging 30% because everyone else does. Competition is usually a good thing for consumers.

Personally I'm a steam fan because of their Linux push. Until I see what Epic do on that front I'll be using the store where that's an option.

2. power

power Member

Too many storefronts, and they all exist to serve the publishers not consumers.

I want a customer focused store!

3. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Giving a discount on the 30% cut is a very normal tactic to take marketshare, ride sharing and food delivery places have done it.

What all those places have done though, is increase it back to 30-35% once they have established themselves.

This is dishonest as you are baiting customers in for one reason, and then switching it.

I can't guarantee Epic will go back to 30%, but almost every other company does this, and Epic are not pro consumer.

Its the same as PS4/Xbox exclusives though, wouldn't you agree?

1. You can't have all your games in the place of your choosing.
    2. Based on the fact that any store can purchase exclusives, If the store fails and they close it, you might lose the game or something else, all because you couldn't choose a trusted store.
    3. You are forced into one company if you want to play the game, this means dealing with bad support etc.

This is especially important as Epic have very poor account security and a lot of accounts have been hacked or had attempts.

4. The game might be more expensive during exclusivity
    5. If DLC's and expansions come out on Steam for a good price during a sale, you can't buy it as you have the game on the Epic store.
    6. You have to deal with every dodgy new game client for the exclusive game. The epic client is terrible, same with Uplay, and others.

And overall just goes against the idea of player choice, which is what PC gaming is all about.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  4. power

power Member

Epic are pro Epic.

5. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

GOG, I have far more games from there than Steam. X4 was ~$15 cheaper than steam.

6. power

power Member

only downside to GoG is that many games get updated last on GoG over Steam - but you are right they are more customer focused.

7. XanaTos

XanaTos Member

So moving from SC from making up stuff to here making up stuff.

Can you please send me EPIC games timeline please? Would like to know what they have planned for the future.

Fortigurn likes this.
  8. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

I found the bait and switch comment particularly entertaining given his comments in the SC thread.

Fortigurn and Supplanter like this.
  9. Drizz06

Drizz06 Member

It’s only a matter of time till every publisher has there own PC games store. Steam will end up as the place for indies and small independent publishers.

10. power

power Member

So developers don't care how many launchers you have just that they get a bigger cut. Timed exclusive means I'll wait or skip.

https://kotaku.com/epics-game-store-is-already-locking-down-exclusives-1830997999?IR=T

watch devs change their tune when Epic stop throwing money at them.

11. neRok

neRok Member

Epic have been giving money to dev's as grants for a while now. They say on that page "we succeed when you succeed". So I'm quite optimistic in how this plays out. They seem to realise that growing their direct customers (dev's) in turn increases their customers (players), and this makes them more money.

12. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Which is their choice, they will soon find out if its the financially correct choice.

Since there is no way I'm going to give a cent to a terrible store like epic, I'm either going to pirate the game to play it now, or by the time it comes out on Steam, it will probably be old news.

13. RnR

RnR Member

That wouldn't be so bad in my mind. A lot of good stuff comes from the smaller guys.

14. KosTanzA

KosTanzA Member

Call me crazy, but I'm fine with steam having a monopoly on digital game sales. Each time a new game comes out on a new store, you download a new client, new friends list, new community etc.

15. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

You crazy!

16. power

power Member

if consumers were being ripped off I'd have a problem, this is a developer/publisher push. I assume Steam will reduce their cut or rejig the way their store works. Apple dropped their percentage without competition so I can't see that Steam won't follow suit.

Consumers will see no difference.

17. neRok

neRok Member

I'm not sure exactly what you are referring to (don't follow Apple news), but the following link suggests they were losing developers/market-share, which is effectively competition: https://thenextweb.com/apple/2017/0...is-now-slightly-less-hated-by-mac-developers/
    Last year, 35-percent of developers sold their applications exclusively out of Apple’s ecosystem. This year, that dropped to 30-percent.
    It will have to be in excess of 10% I would imagine. Even at that reduction, an UE4 developer would pay 25% costs using Steam vs 12% on Epic.

18. power

power Member

referring to the App store on iOS.

19. XanaTos

XanaTos Member

20. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Very surprised at the Steam hate. Steam is the best game library/digital storefront on the market. The prices are good, their sales are good and game updating and the user experience works well.

There's not a lot I can complain about steam, especially when comparing to the others, yes origin I am looking at you, you PoS.

KosTanzA likes this.