Epic Games Vs Steam - A Battle Worth Watching

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by boneburner, Dec 5, 2018.

1. r8response

r8response Member

Just try getting a refund via Epic...

Pinkeh likes this.
  2. power

power Member

those who are hating it think there needs to be "competition". Competition is not the goal of the Epic store.

Pinkeh likes this.
  3. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

There is competition, its just very shit.

4. power

power Member

Epic have already displayed they aren't interested in competition rather bypassing the middleman and becoming the new middleman.

5. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

I was talking about origin and ubisoft, I haven't even looked at Epic yet.

6. neRok

neRok Member

The only reduction I can find is for in-app purchases and subscriptions, from 30% to 15%. App purchases still seem to be 30%.

7. Penfold

Penfold Member

Wow, how many storefronts do we need - Steam, Origin, uPlay and Battle.net, Bethesda, and epic (forgot Windows store) . To be honest out of all the above I find the Steam storefront the least painful experience. Also : https://playnite.link

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    tunksy likes this.
  8. power

power Member

9. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

I build my collection on steam because I like to track my hours and stats, auto updates and modding etc. But more importantly it is the price (from a reseller without the Australian premium applied

I thought I would build a gog library but I never did because the price is higher than steam and their updates are slower especially with buggy releases.the last straw was no man's sky from gog Their refund process was a huge pain in the ass too.

I don't use origin with the exception of two exclusive games series Dragon age and battlefield Origin is not even a candidate for a game collector

Ubisoft is on par with origin. Limited enclusives, overpriced.

I own every game on battlenet. all five of them?

It does worry me some day when steam carks it..but I'm not the only one I guess. I only have 1.6k games. I've seen profiles with 8k. Looking on the ocau steam group dingus has 2.6k.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  10. power

power Member

I think we also all need to remember Epic are a part of Tencent (40%) as well, let that sink in. So two storefronts that are at least partially owned by Tencent essentially now (AB to a lesser degree and now Epic).

11. bart5986

bart5986 Member

And Tencent run everything very very slowly into the ground while milking everyone possible.

Then they just buy something else and milk that.

I'm just hoping Path of Exile stays safe now that Tencent have invested.

12. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

so I see that subnautica is free till the 27th on the epic games store....now i have it on 2 accounts LUL

13. OP
    OP
    boneburner

boneburner Member

In an odd development there's been movement, not at the top end of town with Steam, but down in the slum zone that is game voip provider Discord - who btw also sells games. They have announced a drop in their vendor fee to 10%, undercutting Epics 12% offer. I dont know about you, but this strikes me as a slightly desperate move.

14. mtma

mtma Member

It's not at all surprising, they have been taking a cautiously gentle approach with their store since they released it, so Epic's foray is a big threat in their end of town.

Discord's weakness in positioning their store is that they have taken a go easy go slow approach to launching it and they're also appealing to a certain type of game and dev that they perceive to gel with the Discord social aspect. From a PR perspective this made a lot of sense as it prevents the introduction of the store from causing a calamity for their main line of business, however if another store hooks in to undercut where they're going, it just makes it that much harder to build it.

Desperate? Maybe: but signals that they're well aware of their disposition. This will just be a patch on the situation to buy them time to act directly.

15. OP
    OP
    boneburner

boneburner Member

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  16. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

I'm seriously annoyed about having multiple client that are shoddy, but in all honesty steam runs fine, battle.net runs fine, epic runs fine. It doesn't really bother me where they are. I turn it on i update i play i go away.

While i probably should think about the devs and stuff, i really don't. Enough for me to play in the little time i play. I've picked up stuff thats discounted and stuff thats full price on all platforms. I play what i want and i have bought some shockers before and never really played them and never really cared.

17. RnR

RnR Member

18. power

power Member

Steam beats all competitors hands down for one huge reason - user reviews. These are one of the best features and I'm yet to see a comparable system.

19. shippuuden

shippuuden Member

another cash grab from a scummy game dev company that no one should trust.

20. power

power Member

Epic Games live to steal ideas.