Epic Games Vs Steam - A Battle Worth Watching

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by boneburner, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

Mate you wont convince bart of anything....dont even bother trying.

Sphinx2000 likes this.
  2. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  3. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

That's a lot, sounds like you need to setup some bookmarked filters, may help.
    Maybe some categories based on game genre (I have 19 to choose from), personal ratings or other custom tags.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  4. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I'm aware of that, the problem is they keep pushing back the release date and its clear they development is not a priority for them. Its clear from development they are completely out of touch with gamers.

And even if they implement everything on their list, its still not really clear if anything they implement will be what people actually want, its completely up to them and they've already shown that they only care about publishers.

Even for the features they have listed, the "user reviews" is a trick because developers have to enable it, and they will only enable it if they already know they will have good reviews, and they can likely disable it afterwards anyway.

5. OP
    OP
    boneburner

boneburner Member

Was thinking about buying Surviving the Aftermath - currently in early access. Then noticed it was from Paradox, who have a terrible habit of releasing overpriced DLC for their games. So i ended up not buying it.

So I might have hit that sweet spot where I will never buy another title from them because of this practise. So the business model thats designed to extract more cash from their player base, actually ends up having the reverse effect, where they get nothing to begin with !

6. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Well, it really depends on how you look at it. Yeah they release a shit ton of DLC but at the same time, they base games are not lacking. Thats really on you if you FEEL like your missing out because you dont have every single piece of developed software. The reality is you can get 90% of the game for 20% of the cost of everything.

I would like it but I no longer support early access software.

7. power

power Member

early access and live service games can all gdiaf.

sTeeLzor likes this.
  8. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Dont mind 'live service' if there is a decent game behind it but if its early access, just an excuse to have a badly developed game.

9. OP
    OP
    boneburner

boneburner Member

My immediate refutation of that gross over generalisation is 2 games I'm lucky to have gone early access on and not been burnt by. Path of Exile and Subnautica. Not every early access is the gaming equivalent of a smash and grab.

10. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Honestly I think even a great early access game is ruined by early access.

Mostly because it will always burn you out on the game, its burnt out everyone I know.

So when the game finally releases, either nobody wants to play or they are just completely sick of it.

Path of Exile is an exception because the game is designed around starting again, starting a new character and trying a new league, but thats the only exception.

11. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

The way I see it if I pay 50 bucks for an Early Access game, and get 50 bucks worth of entertainment out of it, I could give zero fucks if I never gets finished, I got my moneys worth.

12. Sledge

Sledge Member

walker_2003 and boneburner like this.
  13. OP
    OP
    boneburner

boneburner Member

As a secondary reply to this, recently Charlie Cleveland (Subnautica / Unknown Worlds founder) confirmed the game has sold 5.23 million copies - which aint bad for your first indie game :lol:

During the 2 week Epic store giveaway last March, the game also chalked up a total of 4.5 million free downloads! - good luck to him

:thumbup:

14. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Aren't epic giving devs a fee when they give games out for free?

15. OP
    OP
    boneburner

boneburner Member

as far as we know yes - but since most of the games are from companies that theyve done other deals with, it's more likely to be an overall package deal (up to a point)

16. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

something is up with my epic store, half the free stuff ive claimed has disappeared from library

17. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

Do they still appear under transaction in your account?

18. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

19. OP
    OP
    boneburner

boneburner Member

20. intransigent

intransigent Member

I don't need farming simulator lol i have a crop just outside my window withering away under 43 degree days lol
    Anyways i personally think the Epic games store is a misstep; while we kind of need some other store to take on steam monotony, making just another steam isn't a good thing.
    Exclusivity from storefront over the same hardware hurts game sales generally, which is okay so long as someone is footing the bill, but it's not a sound move that epic will be doing that forever as a business.
    Second to that what pc gamer wants to be locked out from titles? I mean there's a lot of well this market segment isn't worth chasing after out there at the moment, which to my mind means two things.
    The first being that parts of the same market are being discriminated against which is never a good look and as netflix is showing in australian piracy stats just leads to consumers jumping through 'not the right hoops' to get content.
    Secondly that the prices being asked for these titles is actually well over market, that you are paying a premium so they don't have to chase a few extra dollars by having an expanded customer base.
    My opinion is that GOG is fine for my consumer rights & protection, and is my preference due to it's no drm core value and so if it isn't on that platform, i have no problem not buying it.
    So in short all they've done is made anouther shop consumers like me don't buy from; and the steam ones largely like to keep their game library all in one place (in the steam marketplace); maybe it will get a few people on board between exclusives and cheap, but i don't think in the long run they have a good business case for existing & that's what's going to hurt them most.