1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Epic Games Vs Steam - A Battle Worth Watching

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by boneburner, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

$90 worth for free, can't complain about that.

2. power

power Member

you have to wonder if giving away games was even smart long term. I wonder if they have an Epic sub lined up for the future. Actually now that i say it out loud i wonder how long before they do a sub. I'm going to predict next year.

bart5986 likes this.
  3. bart5986

bart5986 Member

What I don't understand is why they aren't giving away more multiplayer games that potentially keep players for years and years.

Most of the games so far people will just play and finish and then there is no reason to stay with Epic unless Epic keep giving away games.

4. simontifik

simontifik Member

You’re forgetting there’s a load of young kids who are playing Fortnite and probably don’t have a Steam account. Build their libraries through Epic and you’ve got a whole generation of new PC players who are attached to their Epic account as much as the older generation are attached to Steam.

Epic aren’t necessarily trying to convert Steam users. Just trying to capture new PC players.

IPfreely and Spyder6052 like this.
  5. power

power Member

i'm not forgetting it, they will also breed an expectation. when you stop giving me free things your everyday prices aren't great.

6. bart5986

bart5986 Member

So their entire anti steam stance as well as exclusive deals that allow other platforms but not Steam specifically has nothing to do with not converting Steam users?

The only fortnite players who don't use Steam are those that are too young to even know what the Epic client is, besides the fortnite launcher.

Those kids have no brand loyalty to something like Epic and will jump to Steam the second their friend mentions a game from Steam. Their brand loyalty is with fortnite.

Even young kids know the epic platform sucks compared to steam, and yes thats from real life experience.

Those same kids generally just want to play fortnite and don't notice the free games.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  7. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

5000 hours here and i refuse to buy Genesis, i deleted the fucking thing and like a good addict refuse to let the PC install it ever again!
    Now i am stuck in Conan Exiles ffs, same shit different company.

8. OP
    OP
    boneburner

boneburner Member

9. OP
    OP
    boneburner

boneburner Member

10. T-Bones

T-Bones Member

Overcooked is also just a repeat, but I'm not going to knock them since they have provided plenty of quality freebies

11. OP
    OP
    boneburner

boneburner Member

Ark Survival Evolved free - add it to your account this week.

ALSO: scroll down to pick up extra FREE MAPS ! (ty @ T-Bones )

Also bonus free game SAMURAI SHODOWN - which is 6 neogeo games + one previously unreleased.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
    shredder likes this.
  12. IPfreely

IPfreely Member

just browsing through this thread. Haven't visited the gaming forum in years.
    The same guy pops up on every other page... obviously got a massive axe to grind against Epic lol

Personally I think the competition is good.
    Valve were a great games company back when they started Steam. Now they don't make games or innovate anymore and are content to just sit back.

Hey why would they with the billions coming in from their 30% commission from every Steam sale.

The promise of Steam back in the day was digital delivery would make games prices cheaper.
    That has not eventuated thanks to the massive 30% cut that Valve continue to take 15 years later.

Smegenstein and T-Bones like this.
  13. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Your entire argument is incorrect because Ubisoft/EA/Every single game company with their own digital distribution have not reduced prices on their own 0% commission platform.

And epic are the perfect example here where games are also not cheaper and we also lose a lot of value on that game due to lack of online features from the platform (Steam workshop etc)

You might say Steam have not innovated, but then you look at Epic and realise that Valve have done a lot you clearly haven't noticed on their entire platform as well as essentially creating the virtual reality of today.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  14. IPfreely

IPfreely Member

Its taken Steam over 15 years to get to that sort of feature set. Others will slowly get those features too.

The point is it is long overdue competition. Competition is good. Rampant fanboyism for price gougers is not.

Occulus pioneered the virtual reality of today.

15. mtma

mtma Member

Giving away multiplayer games is probably a magnitude more expensive than regularly giving away single player games. There's no doubt that Epic are negotiating probably some kind of cents in the dollar per unit (or store usage fee offset credit because why real money when you can use fake money?) given away deal with publishers on their giveaway deals - publishers are likely to accept on older IP where future sales expectations have already slowed. Epic probably pay more to send a gem out every now and again to stay on the radar.

But with multiplayer games which still have a fixed box value, it's likely the publishers are not going to compromise to the same level until the actual game sales dry up - i.e the game is going cold - or the game works on F2P+microtransaction model or subscription model in the first place and the 'giveaway' then doesn't make much value.

bart5986 likes this.
  16. bart5986

bart5986 Member

And where is the competition?

Besides paid for exclusives, developers have barely used the Epic platform and certainly not made their game exclusively available for Epic due to the lower commission.

Competition is good, and Epic is a low quality effort at the absolute minimum development speed possible. GoG etc at least try to innovate and compete.

As I've said many times, if Epic wanted to introduce competitive to the market they easily could, but instead their business model is to force exclusives and attempt to bring players in via freebies.

Not that it really matters, any marketshare they think they have doesn't really exist outside fortnite, which is actually a good thing because eventually they might decide to compete when they decide they don't want to pay for exclusives/freebies anymore and everyone leaves, but right now its pretty obvious they are not.

I'll also remind you that Epic Games Store launched December 2018 and at that point was a glorified web browser and games list, and today its really not much more then that.

What a joke.

The Oculus idea of virtual reality is a seated experience, the only reason they have roomscale is because of Valve and its been kicking and screaming the entire way if you were part since day 1. Their games barely do 360 degree VR properly due to their original response to Valve 360 VR being 180 degree VR with the option to go 360 degrees.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  17. neRok

neRok Member

I'm surprised they didn't give away Ark earlier, considering it is a big and popular indie UE4 game. People getting it for free and playing it for years isn't really a problem, because those same people will want to buy the expansions, which Epic will get a cut of regardless of platform it is sold on.

18. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

The poster you quoted didn't say Oculus were the best. Merely that they were pioneers.

No early product is as good as ones that come later. But they are the ones that start the trend. So I can't disagree with the statement at all. It appears you're applying a subjective lens to what was distilled and improved upon from that point, rather than looking at what opened the gates for everyone else.

19. bart5986

bart5986 Member

They had the original idea of a modern virtual reality headset, yes I agree but thats just an idea. They also then scrambled quickly once the HTC Vive was announced as it was always meant to be a seated experience but then they realised their product was not going to be very good.

While Oculus had the early development kits, the final product were both released at similar times and the Vive is what real virtual reality became, not what Oculus offered at launch.

Does anyone play VR with an xbox controller right now? I'm pretty sure its completely dead at this point and was mostly dead on arrival anyway besides the few people that wanted to play the exclusives offered.

These points tell me that Oculus didn't really pioneer modern virtual reality at all.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  20. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

That's all that's being argued. Not that they're the best on offer. Not that they were without fault. Not that they dominate today. Merely that they pioneered this round of it.

Again, you're pointing out a whole bunch of generational and iterative improvements that came between then and now that have nothing to do with "pioneering" a technology. Merely distilling and improving it, which is inevitable to all technology.

Very rarely do pioneers of a technology go on to dominate an industry. Folks like SGI and 3dfx pioneered desktop 3D. Nobody's arguing that they're the best there is today (mostly because they're both dead and reborn several times over, with respect to that market). But we have them to thank for the GPUs we know and love right now, even if they're entirely different brands. Same for dozens of other markets, both within technology and external to it.

FerrisXB9R likes this.