Epic PC X Series 17.10.2010 Oh Balls its back on :p

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by EpicPcCases, Jan 30, 2010.

1. EpicPcCases

EpicPcCases (Banned or Deleted)

Epic PC X Series

Sponsors for the Mod.
    Lamptron

[​IMG]
    Time to introduce my new sponsor!

Andy from Lamptron will be sponsoring this project and after the Chinese New Year Holiday, he will be sending a few goodies through. I have always used Lamptron switches in my projects (what scratch builder wouldnt?) and it is absolutely fantastic to have their support.

GAMMods

[​IMG]

Greig from GAMMods will be supplying the acrylic for the waterblocks, all the watercooling essentials and some cable sleeving too. His contribution to the modding community as a whole has been exceptional and he is outstanding in providing modding supplies that you just cannot get anywhere else in Australia.

In truth, he has been supporting me for much longer than this build and our relationship stretches back to the old days where I was hand modding with a dremel, a heat gun and a table saw (my how times have changed).

It is great to have him on board for this journey, thank you Greig!

[​IMG]
    Its 4am and I am still up designing and toolpathing. Im embarking on a project that im finding slightly difficult, I need to make a case that is quite a bit more epic than my current (featured above).

[​IMG]
    Here is a sneak preview of the side panel, will have to order in the acrylic tomorrow.

[​IMG]
    Since I already have watercooling, I will also be adding a res into the build which will be internal and viewable from the outside.

I wont give too much away on what the case will look like but I will say that it takes advantage of a normal thermal flow. It will feature three fans at the bottom and two at the top which will help in giving a positive pressure exhaust as the heat naturally rises. Plenty of room for cable management and watercooling as well as a heap of drive bays and HDD slots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Since I have the material for the res, I started cutting that out already. Keen to make sure I improved on the last res I made, I will be using something simular to weldon 4 (water thin acrylic bond...thing) to butt join the parts.

From there I will use a clear solvent silicon to make sure the seals are permanent. 1 litre of water thin acrylic solvent, 100 insulin needles (thank you internet) and a thing of silicon is on its way!

[​IMG]
    I still have alot to do and I am doing it all tomorrow. The motherboard tray is something I have wanted to do for a long, long while. It all came about when I was test benching with my 4870x2 and my mates 4870x2, the standard motherboard could not fit my palit triple slot cooler at the bottom as the motherboard just...stops. So to counter that I have put an extra pci slot at the bottom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I also found that it was a pain to remove the motherboard from the tray just to install a backplate so I have allowed for a backplate to be removed or installed from either of the SB or CPU area.

[​IMG]
    I really want to justify getting some nice matte black bitspower fittings for it as well but I know once I get one pair, I will have to get the whole set....

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  2. Imperitos

Imperitos Member

thats looking pretty good. Loving the look for the reservoir. If you manage to get the flexibility your looking at i might have to order one of these :) cant wait to see the video's.
    Maybe engrave some nice on the reservoir tank to make it stand out?

3. leathal

leathal Member

this is good, hopefully the air flow will be good for those of us who dont like /wanna Risk WC set ups...

4. OP
    OP
    EpicPcCases

Plenty, plenty of engraving. Im working on the vid right now!

Dont worry, the airflow in this case will be quite effective but you'll just have to wait and see.

[​IMG]
    Time to feed my modding addiction :p

I took in a large order of acrylic and enough 2mm thick copper to make my own full motherboard waterblock covering the mosfets, NB and SB. I have also decided to go ahead and make a 5870 block when I get around to buying the card (most certainly before this is all complete).

[​IMG]
    The needles arrived before the glue which is total BS because they both left goldcoast yesterday. The glue should be here tomorrow and I can start precision glueing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Thats alright though, I was still working on the res anyhow. The engraving took ages, I went for a coffee and came back for it.

[​IMG]
    The cut went well and the extra smoothing runs paid their dividends, the material edge turned up as if it had just been sanded.

[​IMG]
    With the res as complete as it can be at this point, I moved my attention to the side of the case.

[​IMG]
    The side piece you see here is attached to a similar panel by four m5 screws. The main case part is black and this is the case window if you like, it can be removed by removing the screws.

[​IMG]

Its a pretty huge piece, its a massive case. I'll be putting a vid up later so you can see just how big the side panel and subsequently, the entire case is.

5. Heatpipe

Heatpipe Member

What are the needles for?

6. OP
    OP
    EpicPcCases

I need to stay creativeThey are for the acrylic solvent, its water thin and needs to be applied to the cracks to melt down the acrylic bonds and join them asif they were one piece.

Fantastic stuff, hopefully kills any chance of a leak.

7. Trog Star

Trog Star Member

leaks arnt the only thing that stuff can kill.
    not by a long shot :wired:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  8. OP
    OP
    EpicPcCases

Yeah apparently if you inject yourself with air you'll die pretty quickly. This is an actual quote from the diabetes health quiz.

Anyhow im using it for glue, how do I dispose of these things?! *goes to a dodgy toilet with a sharps disposal :p *

9. Trog Star

Trog Star Member

LOL.
    your gonna have a very hard time getting enough air into someones bloodstream with a 1ml pick :thumbdn:

i was referring to the glue being remarkably dangerous.
    some acrylic glues degrade into binary nerve toxins under certain circumstances

have fun :lol:

10. DNX

DNX Member

If you go to a Diabetes Australia shop, you should be able to get a sharps container. When it's full you can return it to them and they will get rid of it for you.

11. dontblink

dontblink Member

Damn that looks ballin

12. garfy_w

garfy_w Member

most pharmacies (well all) have sharp disposal bins.

13. OP
    OP
    EpicPcCases

Cheers, I'll be sure to ask for one :p

The vid has arrived! I have accrued alot of footage and put it in as much as I can into this vid from darth wolfs project, my car vinyl, x series build and guardians cuts.

14. BigDave

BigDave Member

How big will the case be?? mmmmmm It'll be 'EPIC' :cool:

15. OPM881

OPM881 Member

looks great, but whats with the power braclet :p

16. OP
    OP
    EpicPcCases

You will have to wait and see!

More power the better right?

[​IMG]
    The glue arrived and im pretty sure its much, much thinner than water. Im not kidding, I've never seen something thats so thin, almost vapourous in density.

[​IMG]
    Once this stuff hits a crack it spreads like wildfire, filling everything in its path. Great stuff, water tight?....I have my doubts. Silicon is a pretty tought cookie though, I also have my doubts that it will get drawn into a syringe.

[​IMG]
    So that leaves me with a dilema, do I be overcautious and make this thing look ugly? or do I risk a seemless finish that may crack one day when it gets too hot and the acrylic expands.

[​IMG]
    Here's to hoping that a few more needle applications will help, if i can draw silicon into that needle ill apply a thin layer to the inside and out. The plus side is that it will be water tight, the downside will be that I will not find out how effective the solvent is at keeping water in.

[​IMG]
    Any opinions in the matter? Let me know!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  17. Alby

Alby Member

OMG thats sexy!! But looks a little thin? Cant wait to see it complete and working.

18. DeadLetter

DeadLetter Member

Wow very nice, wish I had the time, money, tools to do some thing like that :) some day...some day :rolleyes:

To me it looks a little to thin for my liking but then again I've never actually worked with the stuff before.

I think it needs to be larger.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  19. OP
    OP
    EpicPcCases

The res or the case? The res holds just over a litre of water and the computer is one of the largest I have ever built!

20. Spork!

Spork! Member

Looking great so far. Why not test your res. with just the glue, silicone later only if needed?
    With your machine, can you not "groove" material as well as cutting? Perhaps you could groove the 2 bigger pieces (the front and back?) of arcrylic on the res. to ensure the 4 smaller parts (the sides, top and bottom?) fit more tightly thus ensuring it is watertight?