Equal Love rally

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by Bashar, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Bashar

Bashar Member

Some shots from the marriage equality rally yesterday. I didn't really have any aims apart from shooting pictures of people and capturing the atmosphere. C&C welcome.

1) The original had their feet chopped off, so I cropped it further to their knees. I think it still works.
    [​IMG]

2) I think this would've been decent if I hadn't chopped off part of his forearm.
    [​IMG]

3) I like this, but poor framing kinda ruined it, had to crop above their waist to try to salvage it.
    [​IMG]

4) I like some emotion in photos.
    [​IMG]

5) Wasn't sure if I should include this, not sure if she's in mid-blink or that's just the way she smiles.
    [​IMG]

6) Probably my favourite shot of the day. Pity I didn't get the whole placard.
    [​IMG]

7)
    [​IMG]

8)
    [​IMG]

Cheers

2. bevanbraves

bevanbraves Member

Pretty good set. I especially liked your little intros to the first few photos.

A common theme throughout was "chopped off" or "cropped" etc ...If you have cropped something off in a picture, it might be because you were too close, which isnt the worst thing because most people struggle to get close enough in street photography. So its a positive mistake at worse.

3. OP
    OP
    Bashar

Bashar Member

Thanks! I liked how dche5390's posts his thoughts on his photos, so I thought I'd try to do the same.

Yeah, when composing I often forget to look at the edges of the frame, and only when I chimp do I realise I've missed something. But by that time, the moment is gone or I'm not confident enough to ask for a second take :)

4. amsm

amsm Member

Just my opinion of course, but the only one out of this set where the cropping (either deliberate or accidental) actually impacts the ability of the pic to tell the story, is the one where the placard is chopped.

Generally, chopping off feet and hands is bad, but cropping higher up the leg or arm is less so, unless the feet or hands themselves are important to the story the pic is trying to tell.

This is a good set that captures the scene well.

5. beLarge

beLarge Member

Hi Bashar, I know your pain I used to do it heaps, when you are framing the shot just take a quick moment to scan the edges, also, if you are using a zoom, just shoot a bit wider (lower focal) and then you can crop in post :) Nailing the moment is better than losing a few pixels in my opinion.

6. trackhappy

trackhappy Member

Depth of Field is really nice. What lens(es) did you use to accomplish this?

And I can't help it... were you there for anything other than the photography?
    ;)

7. OP
    OP
    Bashar

Bashar Member

Yeah, I usually realise my mistake after the fact. I think it's just a matter of practice to remember to check the composition before firing the shot.

All were shot on a 50mm 1.8. While I do support their cause, I was mainly there to shoot :)

8. trackhappy

trackhappy Member

Oh nice! And fair enough, I wish I knew about the Brisbane rally more than a day before it happened, I would have gone. :)