error messages in Device Manager

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by ibace, Nov 6, 2018.

1. ibace

ibace Member

All of a sudden...well I only just noticed earlier today...that there are a lot of Yellow coloured Exclamation Marks showing in my Device Manager....wondering if anyone can shed some light...or an explanation what these are about. I have right clicked them in order starting from the top, going through the first 6 entries, right clicked and checked properties...but they seem to be random entries...as shown in the second picture.

System is a Chinese Huanan Zhi x79 Deluxe motherboard with an E5-2660 6 core Xeon CPU...the supplied driver DVD wasn't any help; have installed the basic drivers form it...but now Windows upodate doesn't find any available updates. If worst comes to worst, will just run it as it is...seems to be nothing not working properly, or noticeably...except for the issue of 'not going to sleep'...will hibernate ok...and wake up...just won't sleep.

The apparent joys of Chinese manufacturing...

Pics here;

https://i.imgur.com/a9YaCBV.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/FrEAXYl.jpg

Hoping for some hints...

2. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Looks like a chipset driver that could be missing. You say basic driver install from DVD, is there a main setup exe you can run, some sort of a launcher that contains a selection of device driver selection? If not, perhaps see if the main board has a website driver support and look up your model. From there download and store the drivers to a USB and start installing one by one until device manager clears up. Take note of which driver (s) removes these warnings and perhaps do a reinstall of the OS and only use the drivers that you’ve noted to work.

3. OP
    OP
    ibace

ibace Member

yes...as you suggested there was a setup.exe that opened a window with all the individual drivers there ready to be installed if needed...but there was only a Realtek Audio, a Lan Driver, Sandy & Ivy Bridge VGA drivers, a Via VL805 USB 3.0 drivers and a Drivers folder for the Intel C600 x79 Chipset, and I manually installed each of the individual setup.exe files....

4. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Any progress on this? Does the vendor have a website?

5. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

My standard procedure for troubleshooting such issues is this:

* Uninstall devices from Device Manager. (Do not let the machine reboot is asked.)
    * Looks like a chipset related issued, which could be exacerbating other problems, so I'd go the whole hog and uninstall everything. Including all devices uncovered when you select 'Show hidden devices".
    * When all devices have been uninstalled in Windows, reboot and allow Windows to detect/install all devices.
    * Then run Windows Update. If any driver related updates are installed, reboot and repeat. Keep doing so until WU reports no further updates available when you check again after a reboot.

THEN see if any problem devices remain afterwards. There very likely won't be, as WU is nowadays the best avenue for sourcing device drivers.

6. OP
    OP
    ibace

ibace Member

so here's where we're at...wasn't able to get rid of the exclamation marks from Device Manager...even tried an install of IoBit Driver Booster [have had success in the past with it finding missing drivers - that was an XP Pro install; once all the missing drivers were installed...uninstalled the ad generating IoBit Driver Booster = gone forever].

So even after Driver Booster supposedly recognised the missing drivers, and downloaded them...it failed when it came to installing them...so it was rapidly uninstalled from my Windows 8.1 system, and I was still having lots of exclamation marks in my Device Manager. Then I figured I'd try to get the missing drivers with an install of Windows 10 over the top. Downloaded the upgrade Windows 10 Media Creation tool...ran it...downloaded the required iso file, burnt it to a DVD and ran the install. Will Acronis my way back to Windows 8.1 as soon as I get around to it....

Once system was booted up into Windows 10, I checked Device Manager and it was still full of all the [apparently] same missing drivers...tried to right click them and do an internet update....FAIL!
    Then I used Windows 10 update facility, left the system for a fewer hours...came back later to check; system woke up [after earlier 'sleeping' issues]....and offered to reboot later; I chose restart now...once back in Windows 10 and Device Manager....only 1 missing driver...all the rest had been found and installed...the PCI Simple Communications Controller was the only driver still missing...GREAT!!

Then I installed Driver Magician, ran as scan, selected the drivers specific to Xeon CPU and any other relevant driver...and compiled them all in a single zip archive [only 1.5MBs] I have uploaded it to my One Drive folder...and to my Filefactory folder...so that hopefully anyone seeking drivers for a Huanan x79 Deluxe motherboard will get linked up by google...and download the file...then right click 'extract here' and all done!!

So...I don't know if I am permitted to post a link here....I won't...but if anyone wants a link...PM me if you can't find it with google...the listed folders contained in the rar file are as follows;

Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility Device Driver
    Intel(R) Xeon(R)Â E7 v2 Xeon(R) E5 v2 Core i7 Home Agent 0 - 0E30
    Intel(R) Xeon(R)Â E7 v2 Xeon(R) E5 v2 Core i7 IIO RAS - 0E2A
    Intel(R) Xeon(R)Â E7 v2 Xeon(R) E5 v2 Core i7 IOAPIC - 0E2C
    Intel(R) Xeon(R)Â E7 v2 Xeon(R) E5 v2 Core i7 R2PCIe - 0E1D
    Intel(R) Xeon(R)Â E7 v2 Xeon(R) E5 v2 Core i7 R2PCIe - 0E34
    Intel(R) Xeon(R)Â E7 v2 Xeon(R) E5 v2 Core i7 UBOX Registers - 0E1E
    Intel(R) Xeon(R)Â E7 v2 Xeon(R) E5 v2 Core i7 UBOX Registers - 0E1F
    Intel(R) Xeon(R)Â E7 v2 Xeon(R) E5 v2 Core i7 VTd Memory Map Misc - 0E28

7. de_overfiend

de_overfiend Member

just a heads up.. Driver booster and driver magician are both full of malware/spyware. i class them a scareware - the scare you into believing there is a problem and usually ask for payment to use them.

only way to fix driver issues is to download the correct drivers from the manufacturers website. In this case as they dont have a website (red flag) then the generic x79 drivers from intel should work, or windows update should detect and install them. if they dont install properly then there is usually a problem with windows and you need to backup/format/reinstall

all of those driver update programs are shit. anything made by iobit has spyware/malware embedded in it that is gonna cause problems in the future.

8. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

^ this

However, if you think you’ve gotten the correct drivers, what I would do next are as follows:

- put all your known working drivers in one location
    - store in a USB or external storage
    - format your drive and re-install your OS
    - point your remaining unrecognised devices to your drivers from your USB

Make sure you’re not storing dodgy installers/executables, most drivers can be matched to devices by their .inf files along with other corresponding dll files and whatnot. The only packaged driver installations should come from intel for chipsets, audio drivers (can still use just files unless you want all accompanying app for profiles, presets, etc, depending also on your card), and nvidia/AMD driver packages.