ESX 3.5 SmartUPS Shutdown

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by driver, Aug 12, 2008.

1. driver

driver Member

I'm seeing conflicting information about getting ESX 3.5 to work with a APC SmartUPS. Basically I just want the ESX Host to be able to get the UPS signaling, so ESX can gracefully shutdown all the VM's.

Apparently the official APC software only supports ESX 3.0.x and will not work on 3.5

apcupsd.org looks very interesting - but which RPM should be downloaded for ESX???

I'm very keen to hear what everyone else is doing about this - seems like a pretty basic requirement yet is becoming quite confusing compared to everything else in VMware which has been relatively straightforward. :confused:

2. lavi

lavi Member

we use a diesel generator ... sorry i can't help

3. woj

woj Member

Wow great contribution! Why even bother?

4. CordlezToaster

CordlezToaster Member

same can be said to you.

To the op i would post on the vmware forums rather than here.

5. Iceman

Iceman Member

Let me know if you manage it, I'm about to attempt the same project..

6. fR33z3

fR33z3 Member

If you are only worried about the guest OS's, why not use a 9617 or similar network card in the back of the smartUPS, and install powerchute on the guests? You get the benefit of shutting down not just one physical, but any number of physical and guest servers, although you do have to make sure that your network infrastructure is also UPS powered!

More challenging would be trying to get the esx hypervisor itself to shutdown. Like Lavi, I can't help you there: we use non-integrated UPS's to prop things up only until the diesel's come online. If the UPS's or diesels fail to fire, we have dirty shutdowns. That is a risk we accept, but mitigate through strict maintenance routines.

7. OP
    OP
    driver

driver Member

Actually the diesel generator theory probably isn't too far from the truth for a lot of vmware installations. But unforeunately that is way out of the budget.

fR33z3 - I've got some UPS LAN cards, so I was thinking about just doing it that way. But I would perfer to have ESX itself shutdown gracefully too.

8. lavi

lavi Member

the ESX server with no vm's running it's quite resilient to loss of power, and it would only take like 20min to install it again pending you have the configs documented

i think with esx you can send traps to it via snmp and the traps can trigger scripts which can shut down your vm's properly, have you looked into that ?

9. Iceman

Iceman Member

Thanks, I was about to say no it doesn't as the comments specifically state that the latest version does not work with ESX 3.5

However a later comment states the OLDER version 221 works with 3.5.

driver or anyone want to give this a try?

ftp://ftp.apcc.com/apc/public/software/unix/linux/pcns/221vmware/pcns-2.2.1-100.i386.rpm

I'm stuck in hell this week so I'm not going to have a chance to give it a shot.

10. Iceman

Iceman Member

I think you might be missing the fact that our issue isn't how to install it, it's how to hack the latest version of the APC tools to work with ESX 3.5. Instructions for 3.0 aren't going to help.

11. kbekus

kbekus Member

I'm not sure how the OP went, but I found this thread while sorting out my own issues... ESX 3.5, APC SmartUPS 1500.

Connected via serial, as per an issue with kernels older than 2.4.22. Downloaded apcupsd-3.14.5-1.el3.i386.rpm,

installed with rpm -ivh apcupsd-3.14.5-1.el3.i386.rpm

my /etc/apcupsd/apcupsd.conf file was per the config described in the online manual under a sample config for a SmartUPS for serial:
    ## apcupsd.conf v1.1 ##
    UPSCABLE smart
    UPSTYPE smartups
    DEVICE /dev/ttyS0
    LOCKFILE /var/lock
    UPSCLASS standalone
    UPSMODE disable

started it up, away it goes.

12. 7nothing

7nothing Member

With the serial/usb agent software you can execute a command before shutting down the host, though I'm not sure if the option is there in the network agent. If it is, have the agents shut down all your guests, then if you've got a seperate vcentre box or something, have it send a halt command via ssh to the esx hosts, then shut itself down...