1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

ESX Storage device issues

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by [AFX]Northy, Sep 30, 2010.

1. [AFX]Northy

[AFX]Northy Member

Hey Guys,

I have a HP DL160 G6 that i have put ESX4 on. The install runs through fine but after a put a VM or 2 on i start getting the following error.

"Lost connectivity to storage device
    naa.600508b1001052395358370200. Path
    vmhba0:C0:T0:L0 is down. Affected datastores: "
    ", "datastore1", "Hypervisor1", "Hypervisor2",
    "Hypervisor3".
    error

HP DL160 G6, 12 GB ram, 2 x 1TB in RAID 1. The system goes unresponsive for about 20-30 sec and then comes back. I have looked this up and pretty much all the info refers to iSCSI but these drives are local.

Im pretty new to the VMware game so any help you guys can give me would be great.

2. 4wardtristan

4wardtristan Member

seeing as its a G6 im gonna assume you got it new - did you get it new?

3. OP
    OP
    [AFX]Northy

[AFX]Northy Member

yeh its brand new.

4. lavi

lavi Member

see if they have fw update for the controller my guess is that the controler is shit (it is a DL160, i gather they are like the ML110 with crap controllers). You could get a proper smart array controller for it :)

5. OP
    OP
    [AFX]Northy

[AFX]Northy Member

I have narrowed it down to the 2nd channel on the controller, Now comes the hard part. Does anyone know the number for HP Care? I forked out for the 4hr 24/7 hardware support but I have no idea what the number is.

6. yoda123

yoda123 Member

Uh it's not on a sticker on the case of the server ? Or are you not on location.

I can get it tomorrow for you otherwise :Paranoid:

7. OP
    OP
    [AFX]Northy

[AFX]Northy Member

The number they give you on the case is 9-5:30pm. There isn't any after hours numbers.

8. tonner78

tonner78 Member

Care Pack support is 131147 :thumbup:

9. OP
    OP
    [AFX]Northy

[AFX]Northy Member

Thanks Mate, Just got hold of it.

10. Nyarghnia

Nyarghnia (Taking a Break)

If you don't mind me asking... were they at all helpful in getting the issue resolved?

-NyarghNia

11. OP
    OP
    [AFX]Northy

[AFX]Northy Member

The response time was shocking. Fault was loged monday night with HP Care. It wasn't validated untill 9am tuesday and the part arrived at 5pm yesterday. So for an advertised 4hr response time it leaves alot to be desired.....

12. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

1) Welcome to HP

2) Read the fine print. The "4 hour response" is 4 business hours to acknowledge your call. Not 4 real hours to fix your problem. Welcome to worthless SLAs full of weasel words.

This is the new world of IT, and it sucks.

13. scrantic

scrantic Member

Logged a HP fault yesterday 4h response at about 11am yesterday parts shipped overnight syd -mel arrived 9am still waiting on tech to replace.

14. spaced1

spaced1 Member

My experience with Dell Gold server support has been good. Pretty close to the four hour time frame when we've had a problem.

15. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

The last time I used Dell (aka Unisys) support was back in 2001-2004. I have to say it was excellent. I was working in the CBD, and Dell/Unisys techs would average 1-2 hours to be onsite with spare parts, and have things fixed in about 15-30 minutes on average.

That was simply amazing. The only downside to it was that I've been disappointed by every single other vendor since then.

16. lavi

lavi Member

HP 4 hours response time is nothing more than an email to let you know your case has been lodged or a phone call to do the same thing :)

what you want is guaranteed fix time and i don't think it's advertised but it costs money .... lots of money

17. ewok85

ewok85 Member

This is why I push Dell so hard with clients - their response times are incredibly good, and they have no issue letting me replace hardware when it suits me, rather than have to mess around with scheduling some poor technician to do it.

18. Skitza

Skitza Member

I recently had a go at Dell because they sent me a new scsi drive for a replacement which was fine but fuck me if they didn't send the god damn caddy to go with it!! Luckily I had a screw driver to manually install it otherwise I'd still be there. I'm then told after the fact the caddys only come with the higher level gear... wtf! I found that really appalling. This would never have happened with IBM, I wish I could go back to all IBM gear.

19. barbz

barbz Member

We have had the same experience with HP.

Due to this we have not purchased the HP care packs on any new gear and instead setup a support contract with Interactive (http://www.interactive.com.au/) who stock our same hardware config on their shelves in case of a problem.

They use a pager service and have had the correct part (Another of HP's problems) to us within 2 hours after hours.

Their prices are reasonable and given the service you receive I would even say its cheap.

Give me a PM if you want some more details (like my account manager).

I dont work there, have friends there or anything other than being a customer :thumbup:

Cheers
    Paul

20. ewok85

ewok85 Member

That's not that big a deal - I'd expect a replacement drive to be just the replacement drive - they ain't going to have some guy who gets bare drives from the manufacturers, breaks the seal, screws on a caddy, and removes it when you send it back.