1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

ESX Storage device issues

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by [AFX]Northy, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Swathe

Swathe (Banned or Deleted)

HP make me rage. We had an issue with one machine that i managed to isolation test down to being a bad stick of ram. I called HP and logged a job with a detailed account of how I came to my conclusion. About two hours later I got a call asking if I have tried rebooting, are any other machines affected and then tried to tell me how to test the RAM. I said I had done all that and it was ready to ship to HP. He then asked if they sent me the RAM, would I have the technical ability to install it. I raged, told him to get fucked and walked out of the office. A colleague handled the rest but the replacement arrived the week after. It's one thing after another like this, glad that in two weeks I will be gone and working somewhere else.

2. ewok85

ewok85 Member

Yup, they do the same to me. But you call Dell and go "heres the service tag, one of the memory sticks is bad, I need a replacement by tomorrow" - "no worries, just send the old one back".

Boom, done. Hard drives, memory, processors, raid controllers, motherboards, power supplies, the whole lot - Dell will send it out without doing the rigmarole and are even nice enough to trust that you know your shit and can do it yourself if you request it (or they will send a technician to do it if you want). The worst I've had from Dell was they wanted to send a technician to check a PERC 5/E that I knew was dead, but it took the guy who came out all of about 2 minutes to go "oh yeah, that's pretty dead" and he swapped it out on the spot.

HP won't let you fit it yourself, and make you go through all the troubleshooting steps. I find it appalling for what is supposed to be professional business/enterprise level support.

3. barbz

barbz Member

Lenovo/IBM service is brilliant if your in the Brisbane city as their support office is on Edward st. Ive had a tech walk down a replacement fan for a desktop before and another time a tech collected the desktop from me and delivered it later that afternoon.

Hp is rubbish, broken laptop hard disk, 3 weeks to replace after sending through first a 5400rpm disk not a 7200, then sent a IDE not a sata disk. In all fairness how hard can it be? Were supplying the right part numbers, its up to their staff to pick with right piece and ship it!

The only good thing HP has going for them is that their gear rarely breaks (touch wood!)

4. Swathe

Swathe (Banned or Deleted)

We have had a batch of laptops where the GPU keeps failing, it's been a nightmare dealing with HP. Plus, due to some sort of no doubt money motivated decision, the hardware throughout the organisation is terribly old and is breaking fairly regularly.

5. Nyarghnia

Nyarghnia (Taking a Break)

Even though i'm bailing on I.T (in the process of a 'hand over' where I am, though nobody wants to have anythign to do with the shit i've been dealing with, what a suprise) but this caught my eye...

I have found HP's support in the last year or two to be absolute SHIT.

Put it this way, in the role I was up to until about... a day ago I had a whole heap of gear under CTR (Call to Repair), you used to get put through to people here in Australia, now... it's all in India (like everything else in I.T).. and the service is absolutely shit.

It can take you several minutes to get someone on the phone, navigate your way through their voice response system with what sounds like an early 1900's vintage telegraph line...

Here's how my most recent call went...

1. Spend some minutes on their phone system waiting for someone
    2. Finally get someone
    3. Take 2 or 3 minutes to state my name, my location, my company, my phone number..
    4. Repeat step 3 until he or she finally gets it
    5. Begin to describe the problem, pausing to spell every other word (Alpha, Bravo, Kilo, Foxtrot.. it's ridiculous) and trying to be heard over what seems to be swarms of bees on the telephone line
    6. Then... then the fun begins, now you have to recite your serial numbers or care pack numbers...
    7. Spend an eternity repeating step 6 until their rendition matches your rendition
    8. "Thank you sir, please may I put you on hold while I call up your details"
    9. Some minutes spent listening to empty silence on the line...
    10.. This may take a while...
    11. "Hello sir are you there?"
    12. "Yeah, i'm still here"
    13. Now, what i've found it that I think that a coin get flipped over there, heads... you get "Sorry sir you have contacted the wrong department, i'll transfer you now" or "Sorry sir, but we don't have any record of that equipment being at that location"
    14. Either, you get transferred and actually get through to someone... in which case... go back to step 1.. or the line goes dead and you go back to step ..1

I actually had a 'HP FlowChar' that I drew up in Visio last time I had a big row with HP, they weren't too impressed.

The ONLY way I was able get any kind of support was to keep the local contact details of people at HP who work here in Australia/Melbourne and start working the phones.. once it gets to teh locals here things can start moving and I can tell you that HP people tell me that they are completely pissed off at what one senior tech called 'the Indianisation of HP' where every that's not bolted down is sent over to India.

Seriously... I am starting to think you're better off buying two sets of locally assembled kit and keeping one as spare, works out cheaper than buying this branded stuff and the insane fees that they're charging for 'support'.

Was a flag waving, true-blood HP fan for years, but their recent efforts have turned me off them. It's all moot for me though.

All I can say is... don't get sucked in by marketing bullshit and 'C' level exec rubbish.

-NyarghNia

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  6. spaced1

spaced1 Member

Until companies vote with their wallet, shit like this will continue.

Dell sent Gold support for desktops to India or Malaysia or some shit. Service was terrible, it went from "this is the issue" to having to follow every step for the same end. Was so happy when support was moved back to Australia.

In America Dell sent their support overseas. American companies cracked the shits and started ditching Dell. Dell got the picture and moved phone support back to America.

I've got nothing against phone support staff from India, they're paid to follow a script and do what they're told. It just wastes so much time and effort.

7. Squeezer

Squeezer Member

LOL..that sounds VERY familiar. Ive had more than my fair share of such support calls

8. Skitza

Skitza Member

IBM send you the drive pre-installed in the caddy as it should be, none of this Dell drive only bs. It's a big deal if you are stuck at site expecting to pop in a drive and go home and then to find you need to manually install a caddy.. oh shit no tools, now what? Thanks. Sorry maybe my expectations are a little high.

9. leighr

leighr Member

You go on site for a support call without tools?

10. Skitza

Skitza Member

No and I should rephrase that.. on site = went into the work office :) I had a screw driver on my keyring but I was not expecting to need to manually install the drive into the caddy, never had to so it was a shock. I know for next time.

11. ewok85

ewok85 Member

I don't go near a server without a full set of tools and random bits (cage nuts/screws, velcro, network cables, cable tester, power cable, multimeter, etc).

Too many times something like "move a network cable" or "put in some drives" has turned into 6 hours of hell dealing with something blowing up.