ESXi now free (no support)

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by bloodbob, Jul 29, 2008.

1. bloodbob

bloodbob Member

http://vmware.com/company/news/releases/esxi_pricing.html
    Now the ESXi and the ESX Server 3.5 have massive difference in the hardware compatibility does anyone know if this is simply just because the systems haven't been tested with ESXi? or if ESXi actually is a different hypervisor.

2. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

Doesn't ESXi not give you a Linux console or anything like that? I've only used ESX myself. Is ESXi even built on Linux at all still? If my understanding is correct, that means no local storage, and no hardware monitoring/drivers (i.e. RAID/Power/Temp/Fan monitoring and so on).

Maybe a little bit of the folding stuff contributed by the supported hardware venders perhaps, or some other incentive.

3. OP
    OP
    bloodbob

bloodbob Member

It support local storage actually on some systems it support sata. The console is removed however there is a remote command line tool however that won't solve your hardware monitoring.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  4. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

Ahhh ok, but with very limited hardware support then?

5. mr.ilford

mr.ilford Member

Interesting move. Not sure that anyone who has the hardware to run a 3i host would do it unsupported...

We're still in trial phases for 3i, and given that we deploy around 4 hosts a week, it looks like we'll be using it fairly soon.

6. jim_beam_au

jim_beam_au Member

Actually supports a lot more SATA storage systems with the new update. But I think the install still requires scsi. Unsure on that as the SATA drives are connected to a 3ware controller in this box.

It's Linux with busybox, but there is bash there I noticed while taking a quick peek on the console. Going to dig into it a bit further today hopefully, and maybe grab the source and see if we can build add on modules for application and drivers.

Still preforms better than vmware server, and support is available for gold US$495 and platinum $US595 for ESXi

It's a way of getting enterprise virtualisation cheaply to the test the waters for SMB's.

7. Tony

Tony New Member

i have a spare optiplex 755 that ran xenserver fine

funny thing is esx installs and detects on the system fine but not the onboard network card

obviously a intel 1000 nic is not common enough

8. fad

fad Member

Yeah I installed it on a machine at work. I was also able to install it on a 1GB USB key on a machine at home. You can enable the console. The biggest problem is not being able to run monitoring software on it, say a UPS client or nagios agent.

[​IMG]
    Click to view full-sized image!
    Hosted by UGBox Image Store

Running on a P5B-VMDO, C2D, 1Gb USB memory stick, no supported storage, I tried a Adaptec 1430A, doesnt seem to work.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  9. Ashpool

Ashpool Member

Considering we run about 10 virtual machines. We are doing this on a proliant dl 360 with 16Gb ram and just using vmware server, would this be a better option for us?

10. Tony

Tony New Member

does anyone know what the limitations are?

eg. xen was 4Gb max, two cpus and 4 VMs per hypervisor

which is fine for many people

vmware have a email sorta authentication to get the keys?

i need to rob a slimline nic from someone to proceed

11. OP
    OP
    bloodbob

bloodbob Member

I don't know if there is a socket limit it wouldn't surprise me if it was 2 sockets however just from the hardware support.

12. jim_beam_au

jim_beam_au Member

I don't have a quad system around. But I think I signed up for a 4 "cpu" (there term).

Surprised the Intel nic don't work. Drivers are limited. Find something that uses e100 or e1000 and you should be good to go. (the one you had should have used e1000). Nvidia users forcedeath is there.

No limitations I can see anywhere. It is exactly the same product. Less Consolidated backup, it took that away when I entered a key. I was looking at Xen myself. The enterprise products are looking good, but I needed more than 4GB of ram support. I have on VM that needs 6GB minimum and then some kind of interface for office staff.

Better than VMware server...for sure. I am moving my vmware server node over to this soon enough. Seems much more scalable than server. The advantage/disadvantage to server was it was on top of an OS, you could install other services, something that Xen even discouraged.

EDIT: When logging back into VMware
    Issue Date Date Registered Serial Number License Type Product Quantity Order ID Order Status
    07/28/2008 07/28/2008 4C09N-XXXXX-H6L08-XXXXX-84V2H EVAL Free ESX Server 3i for unlimited processors N/A

Unlimited processors: Guess that means I can have more than 2 sockets like I requested.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  13. Tony

Tony New Member

i try to install VMTools into 2003 and it says:

error trying to access usr/lib/vmare/isoimages/windows.iso

is this even there?

14. chewbucca

chewbucca Member

i think thats a linux path

15. CordlezToaster

CordlezToaster Member

I have had this running since it was released, its installed on my whitebox home machine.

Most vmware clone boxes need a decent sata card of some description.

Im currently running it on 400gb of sata storage with 4gb ram on a dual core e6400.

:D

16. Tony

Tony New Member

yeah it is but i prob. need to install the CLI thingo to check if it's there

having no CLI out of the box is weird

17. substance

substance Member

sweet i see that vmware server is also free
    niiiice gonna use it to do some study, setup some virtual pcs up and get that crankin

18. jim_beam_au

jim_beam_au Member

That's where it should be.

To get command line. Ctl-Alt F1 and type unsupported

You should be prompted for password. Enter the root password if you've set one. If you make a error. Just type it again.

19. NSanity

NSanity Member

this is going to sound dumb probably.

Can I mount a CIFS datastore for iso images?

I've tried making a folder, chmod 777, then mounting...

mount -t smbfs -o username=domain\user, password=password //servername/share /mnt/setup

I get

mount: Mounting //servername/share on /mnt/setup failed: no such device

I can't find any info that this method works on ESXi however, definitely works on ESX...

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  20. supercruiser

supercruiser Member

3i is pretty cool

We run currently 3 supermicro boxes, with dual 5400's and 32 gigs of ram in each box, no drives, all pointing out to iSCSI.

Though the hardware compatibility list is small, it does support quite a few LSI Controllers for SAS drives etc, as well as quite a few NICS.

But it is pretty fussy, and we have had one orphan itself from the rest of the ESX Hosts, and if you have virtualised your Virtual Centre, that also isnt a happy chappy if it cannot see its other hosts.

But once you have the right hard ware, you can have an esx server up and running in a pool in about 20 mins, with config of IP, DNS, iSCSI.

Bout to roll over to the latest version of VC which has support for a wider range of hardware, and few fixes, and nicer bits.

Cheers.
    Supercruiser