Ethereum - Casper upgrade reduces block reward

Discussion in 'Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Mining' started by Gunna, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Gunna

Gunna Member

https://tokenthusiast.com/2018/04/0...proof-of-work-miners-block-reward-to-0-6-eth/

Expect a lot of GPU's to hit the market soon after release

2. koss

koss Member

3. gmturner

gmturner Member

bound to make the price go up though id imagine :)

4. koss

koss Member

https://www.coindesk.com/bitmain-confirms-release-first-ever-ethereum-asic-miners/

Power consumption: 800W, Hashrate: 180MH/s
    That's not very good, probably why it's cheaper than their other miners. I would have expected the hashrate to be twice that. It's certainly way cheaper than buying 180MH/s worth of GPUs, but not much differences in MH/s per Watt. Days to break even: 330.28
    Don't think I will be queuing up for one unless they either halve the price or double the hash rate, I learn't the hard way with BTC ASICs from Bitmain, ROI over 150days and it doesn't pay for itself.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  5. OP
    OP
    Gunna

Gunna Member

I get 162mh/s for 950w so not much of an improvement at all however now they have the base technology they can expand on it.

6. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

Seriously, Vitalik poses some thoughts about a hard cap 120 million?

I don't follow Ethereum or know THAT much about it, shouldn't we know the supply of a crypto from when it was first floated?

Otherwise, whats the point>?

Secondly, why would miners fork to something that kills their income?

Going from POW to POS sounds counterintuitive

7. koss

koss Member

I don't see any great benefit in having a fixed number of coins ever issued, you need to replace coins from lost wallets, or have some method of recycling them after 10 years of inactivity. Otherwise your coin supply will eventually dry up, sure the sun might have gone out by then, but it will still happen.

8. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

800W for 180MH is pretty bad. I get 75-80MH from 400W using crappy RX560's. This is terrible for ASIC.

9. clonex

clonex Member

Someone told me about this several months ago, iirc the plan was to mine other coins on the supporting gpus in hope those alts jump up when it happens and hopefully doesnt make the cards obsolete :D

10. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

they will be GPU's in a custom case -- the power /hash rate is too close to 6 x 580's the price has gone up to $2000 USD now as well so yeah