Ethereum mining rig suggestions

Discussion in 'Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Mining' started by tarkadahl, Nov 10, 2020.

1. tarkadahl

tarkadahl New Member

I was thinking of getting into mining Ethereum and was wondering what kind of rig I would need, I have $2800 to spend, I don't care about looks so the cheapest case will do.
    Any suggestions?

2. fad

fad Member

Get a shoe rack from Bunnings, when you done convert it back to a shoe rack.

laura_bug and Mac-Pro like this.
  3. dibbz

dibbz Member

all the second hand 5700/xt's

4. OP
    OP
    tarkadahl

tarkadahl New Member

Great, I post a serious thread and all I get are jokes, OCAU has gone downhill since I was last here about 15 years ago.

v81 and Evo6 like this.
  5. fad

fad Member

Here was one of my shoe rack mining rigs. They are all now shoe racks.
    You can see a 8 port PCIe card switch, turning a PCIE slot into 8 1x USB PCIE cables. There is a limit to the number of GPUs you can have in a system. I think from memory it is 13 Nvidia and a few AMD.

Cheapest rig I made. Mobo CPU and RAM, then 6 or more PCIE USB risers. ATX PSU and then a server 1200W card with pcie power cables.

I did upgrade them to a custom mining setup, integrated pcie bridge and CPU on a board which would fit 10 GPUs. It was also stackable.

upload_2020-11-10_21-35-19.png

upload_2020-11-10_21-37-23.png

6. OP
    OP
    tarkadahl

tarkadahl New Member

Thanks for your reply.
    I am looking to do one in a PC case that will fit in my PC workstation, about 28cm x 58cm x 58cm, I have found a case at PC Case Gear that has 9 PCI slots
    I will start out with one 5700/xt and will add at least 3 more as I can afford them.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a motherboard that can take as many PCI card slots as possible?
    I was thinking of the ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming Motherboard, it has 6 PCI slots.

7. Gunna

Gunna Member

It will be difficult to do it in a case, heat will be the killer as will the noise. Your GPU's will shut down all the time

These GPU's will be at 100% ALL the time. I had a 6 GPU rig in my double garage and it rose the temp by several degrees

8. Jaco

Jaco Member

fad are you still going nowadays with anything?

Best options for Ethereum indeed will be getting your hands on any 5700 / 5700XT and building on from that

For framing it, yeah shoe racks, milk crates, etc can do the job - you can even knock something together with scrap wood found in the Bunnings skips in their carparks - or just search Gumtree / Marketplace in your local area to see if anyones ditching any (I got a couple 6x GPU Veddha frames for $20 each recently)

9. Jaco

Jaco Member

If you want a fun weekend project you could even knock one of these out, this videos been pretty popular with miners looking for easy DIY

10. OP
    OP
    tarkadahl

tarkadahl New Member

Thanks for the replies.
    I will be going for a 12 gpu mining rig from the Mining Store, I will add gpu's as I can afford them.

11. RavenAU

RavenAU Member

sounds way to expensive. adding months onto the roi

12. fad

fad Member

Just do what I did, put GPUs on a desk. You just need a mobo and PSU, which can be a low watt 750w till you get a few more. When you have one or two they can just run off the mobo.

13. MrSnuffy

MrSnuffy Member

Neither of them were jokes. :lol:

MUTMAN and FuzwaldQO like this.
  14. Jaco

Jaco Member

with Australian Electricity Prices, ROI is pretty much thrown out the door anyway

15. fad

fad Member

Yeah don’t spent $100’s on a rig with a nice frame. Just buy some wood and make something for a few bucks. It’s all wasted anyway, spend everything you can on the GPUs.

There was a Company selling really nice rigs, with a Supermicro XeonD IPMI and 4000w of PSU in a rack case. Custom backplane and pcie switch. $10k without cards, not sure how many years that had for ROI.

16. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

Isn't mining ETH going to be obselete with Etheruem 2.0?

fad likes this.
  17. Jaco

Jaco Member

Seen those ones, but yeah - dollars

It's also why I was eyeing this one off in the FS board,

https://forums.overclockers.com.au/...n-v3-96gb-ram-20tb-raw.1293538/#post-18760541

But colo costs versus return for just 4x GPUs - I'd be better off buying a Techmi case again or similar that houses 10 for cheaper to overpower the cost spent on rackspace (power isn't an issue on colo)

18. Jaco

Jaco Member

Indeed, it was quoted by YouTubers to not be for a couple of years yet, though I believe it popped up the other day that they received all required funding relatively quickly and they're ready for the next step - so we're somewhat riding it out for now, as ETH still remained the most profitable by a large margin for a long while.

It'd be advisable to probably seek Nvidia cards so you're able to jump to a core-specific algorithm and have a decent chance of turning a profit - as AMD are primarily good at memory based.

I've got an even-ish quantity of both, so if I'm still going by the time something happens it should be fine

19. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Hey op, how did you go with this project?

:)

20. archie

archie Member

thinking of getting back into some mining as I can put a rig in my office for "free" electricity.

whats recommended?

I see fad is using GTX 1060 cards in the pic above?
    with a PCIE16 to 8x USB splitter? what mobo supports this?

think if I do one it won't be more than 8 cards, perhaps even 3-4x only.
    I'm more limited to space at my office.

power draw/card?

thinking of ETH for now