1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Ethereum mining rig suggestions

Discussion in 'Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Mining' started by tarkadahl, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Slug69

Slug69 Member

...merge coming...LOL.

2. r3s

r3s Member

Soon™

lonewolf1983 and Slug69 like this.
  3. Jag_Guy

Jag_Guy Member

And on top of that, wholesale energy prices are increasing across the board for us Aussies, so we’re moving closer to unprofitable operations :( It’s been glorious being able to make decent profits from being a nerd as a hobby, but I feel it’s something we’ll never see again in our lifetime.

Slug69 likes this.
  4. r3s

r3s Member

Can always flick mine off and run on Solar only, but at $10 a day roughly on poor solar output for the entire house currently im not too fussed.

Once solar feedin tarriffs keep going down might as well use the power and make $$$ on an already sunk capital investment rather then a pittance of some FiT's

Last edited: May 26, 2022
    Growth likes this.
  5. groovetek

groovetek Member

Let's just hope Eth rebounds in value.

I started mining purely as a hobby, then once I got bored of it I sold my 2 rigs (20 GPUs).

Been on laptops ever since, doing their thing in the garage with practically zero maintenance so even though I've gotten bored of it, they shall continue to mine so long as it's still cheaper to mine than to buy Eth.

6. r3s

r3s Member

Whats the point where you would decide to start selling off some laptops?

Could still probably get a good portion of their value back :)

7. groovetek

groovetek Member

Good question. I suppose id like to sell all of them before warranty expires (Oct).

I might just list one at a time gradually now to save me having to suddenly deal with selling 36 of them haha...

r3s likes this.
  8. romp

romp Member

I've made the decision to pull out completely of using a dedicated mining rig (that's 100% miningm, 24/7) - mainly because Eth network difficulty is ridiculous at the moment (I'm making significantly less each day now - hello 100% LHR unlock, wouldn't be surprised if that's the reason) and I don't believe there's a clear benefit after factoring in electricity costs (I've got õver 13kw of panels on the roof but Brisbane seems to be stuck in rainy or overcast days for pretty much a year now). In addition, GPU second hand resale values are coming down quite quickly and I'm keen to get out before resale values plummets even more. I don't believe the impact of GPU resale values dropping sharply has fully been recognised by many miners as yet, who haven't yet hit their ROI on their cards and I simply don't believe it's worth persevering with based on the looming move to ETH POS (surely it's coming soon ;)). I'll keep some cards and upgrade the family computers and use them to mine, when the computers are not in use though.

I got lucky and sold my mining 3060 Ti for $725 on Facebook today - I decided to list it after a Price Check post on these forums revealed that people were only generally keen to pay $500 - $550 here and got a bite within hours of listing it (no negotiation even attempted). I've already sold a few of my dedicated mining cards over the past 1-2 months and would love to get rid of my remaining 3070 Ti for a fair price but I haven't had any bites on these forums at $900. I may lower the price or just keep it and upgrade one of the family's computers.

Last edited: May 31, 2022
  9. romp

romp Member

I'm intrigued - if you really have 36 laptops, how was that even profitable, considering you've really needed a card with over 4GB on-board memory for ages now (to mine Eth at least)? I've always kept an eye out for laptops capable of mining Eth but asking prices on the second hand market were still stupidly expensive and you could pick up a GPU with the same hashrate, if not more, for a decent amount less than a whole laptop.

10. fad

fad Member

At a guess they are Acer Nitro 3060 laptops which could be bought at $1200 or so. Way cheaper than a 3060-3070 at the time.

romp and Elmf like this.
  11. Elmf

Elmf Member

And for $1000 at one point.

r3s and romp like this.
  12. romp

romp Member

Ahh yes, the HN special. Still even at $1200, I'd shudder on that ROI as they certainly weren't $1200 at the more profitable point for Eth mining (Q1 2021).

Elmf: Don't recall $1000 for those laptops - may have missed it though. I certainly recall just under $1000 though for an Acer Nitro model at HN but that had the GTX 1650.

13. fad

fad Member

I think it was an ebay coupon

romp and Elmf like this.
  14. r3s

r3s Member

Got my acer nitro with 3060 for aroubd $1050-1099, cant recall, i paid a bit extra for 3 years business warranty plan, came to $1200 including that.

Resale on a gaming laptop will outdo gpus for a while i think not that i have any interest in selling it ( wifes gaming pc :) )

Hashing away at 41-2mh since i bought it :)

Elmf likes this.
  15. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

got mine at around 1050 too - had 5% off via health fund gift cards
    plan for mine was always to mine on them until merge and just before warranty runs out then sell and make a bit of profit

r3s likes this.
  16. r3s

r3s Member

I think they were the runout model with 10300cpu before the 11400 cpu version, not that it makes much difference for the games you play on them :)

17. Luke212

Luke212 Member

selling parts is going to be difficult. any one buyer makes a fake claim is a lot of money down the hole. also its gamers buying now so you could spend ages researching each sub model for valuable versions.

maybe keeping the cards is an interesting idea. on What To Mine, ERG looks like 80%+ what ETH is currently offering. Is that actually true or do the websites mislead?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
  18. r3s

r3s Member

Depends on how fast you mine/cash out, any estimates are only valid for a point in time, they dont magically stay the same if the ass falls out of the coin you are mining.....

19. Hi-tek

Hi-tek Member

Have you tried the full unlock? I think you can get 50mh from them

Generally pretty accurate. It gets the latest blocks and multiplies it by average exchange prices and network hashrates.

20. r3s

r3s Member

Don't think the laptop gpu's were LHR? got 36~mh before upgrading the 85w bios to 95w.

I think you might be thinking of the desktop 3060

I have 1 of those in my htpc hashing at 48mh~ @100w iirc on the old driver, can upgrade the driver now but mining 101, if its not broken leave it the fuck alone lol.