1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ethereum mining rig suggestions

Discussion in 'Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Mining' started by tarkadahl, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Hey! that beast can mine all the... Um... CD Coins! Yeah... :Paranoid:

2. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

It can chia plot DVDs ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

3. Soarer GT

Soarer GT Member

Every time it swaps algorithms you lose 0.5 to 1% Dont bother dual mining. You make more just mining eth.

4. OCMunkee

OCMunkee Member

Thanks mate, I was leaning towards that being the answer anyway. Cheers! :)

5. Soarer GT

Soarer GT Member

Yeah you see it in the hashrate swaps when you pay the dev fees on some miners. They say they only take 0.65%, but it actually costs you 1-1.5% due to swap over time. The issue is the free miners (excavator solo or whatever) just arent as good as the ones that take dev fees. For example, with Gminer I can get 62.89 - 62.90 MH/s for a typical 3070. with excavator ( same overclocks ) it tops out at 61.6MH/s or something. So you gotta suck up that dev fee because its still more profitable than the free versions even after dev fee.

Some hints/tips for maxmising your profit.

1. Download stratum-ping from github to find the closest stratum server for you whatever your mining pool is. (This should reduce your stale shares). It does a test login to the stratum to see the real tcp ping, not just ICMP.
    2. Check the payment method that the pool uses. If you have a dedicated rig then PPLNS seems to be better with MEV and block rewards. If you're mining with your gaming PC and stop/start mining, then PPS+ is a bit better if you can find a good server. The issue with the PPS+ pools is they get hit fairly hard depending on time of day, so you might get stale shares if the difficulty isnt high enough or the servers cant keep up.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    aussie-revhead likes this.
  6. OCMunkee

OCMunkee Member

That's some great advice there, I'm lazy though so I'm happy sticking with TeamRedMiner, HiveOn pool via HiveOS, get it all running so I can et and forget. Otherwise I'll end up tinkering all hours of the day and night, and never get anything else done :p

7. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Finally got around to testing my rig, got it sitting on a box in the lounge room for tonight, providing it doesn't blow up I'll stick it all in the rack tomorrow and have my 1070 and 1660 going 24/7.

Crosspeen, OCMunkee and Slug69 like this.
  8. The Beast

The Beast Member

See below.

Not to mention all the ETH you hold becomes ETH 2.0 at the fork.

Dude you can't even buy a GPU that isn't an empty box :tongue:.

I hope you bought the dip on the 22nd (or 'CRASH' as you call it). I did.

9. 151528

151528 Member

Probably depends on your perspective, some would say the crash is only halfway through

10. havabeer

havabeer Member

i tired but couldnt get the money in my wallet fast enough :upset:

11. Luke212

Luke212 Member

something smelled bad. I think due to forgetting to set optimised gpu setting after a reboot, causing higher load.

upload_2021-6-30_9-53-8.png

12. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Fuck, lucky you got it before it caused real damage...

I'm not tempting fate with my system, 1070 and riser will get power straight from PSU, 1660 and riser will get an 8 pin splitter.

13. duck_boy

duck_boy Member

You split the 8 pins using a 6pins to 2 8 pins?:sick: And those go into which GPU?

14. Luke212

Luke212 Member

its fine. a (quality) 6 pin can pull 200 ish without issue. if you have tuned gpu you know what its pulling.
    only problem i accidenly didnt tune on a reboot so it used stock Watts so took it way over the limits.

that particular splitter is not the same as my other ones. i think its cheaper/smaller wire so its burning much more easily.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
  15. duck_boy

duck_boy Member

Most people get their rigs burn down because of the adapters. Those adapters that you buy on eBay have hair thin wires. You need 16gauge wire, that why I make my own or use the one come with the GPU.

If the cable can't handle default current then don't use it. Some time when your GPU crash the driver reset it to stock and you will be introuble.

People also burn their sata power connectors because they piggy back Their 8pins pcie. Then when the 8pins PCIE can't deliver the required amp, the card start to over draw the power from the slot them it melt SATA power connector. Then they go do not use sata connectors to power the riser.

16. Jag_Guy

Jag_Guy Member

Sounds like you got caught out there Luke212 with it resetting and pulling full power.

But yeah, be very carful of the splitter cables. Even as high as 18AWG is fine, but I've learnt a lesson with the flimsy hair thin wire ones that must be out of 20AWG or something higher...seeing your wires brown and connectors melted is a worry. Usually you can tell something is up and the rig will start resetting. As soon as I saw that I done some research and got rid of them all. My rule of thumb is no more than 200W per 6pin pcie and you should be fine even if you are operating in a super hot room in the middle of summer. The insulation temp rating is also important.

As far as risers go I just use nothing except 6pin pcie. I really don't understand why they manufacture them in anything but that, nor do I understand why they manufacture the adapters to go from 6 pin to sata. Molex is of course fine but why do anything else. If mining was some big 'retail' thing there'd by liability lawsuits everywhere.

This guide is super good and getting you up to speed with everything: https://www.gpuminingresources.com/p/psu-cables.html

OCMunkee likes this.
  17. Luke212

Luke212 Member

psu dont have enough connector ports to avoid splitters, given the dual 8 pin for only 100/110W loads. Very hard to avoid without buying mining psus

18. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Got my mining rig up and running, pretty piss poor with only 2 cards but eh it'll do.

[​IMG]

Yes I did bend the IO shields, planned on cutting holes in the shelf for them but didn't happen.

Edit, it's running HiveOS and linked into Nicehash. I know, not the most profitable but my 6900 is mining to Nicehash and I'm lazy.

19. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

I really didnt want to buy a Delta 2400 but now I have it I think its awesome, and no its not noisy like a 1200w (maybe if I pulled 90% load it might be but 1kW is easy for it.

:)

20. Jaco

Jaco Member

Be careful with those, I don't know how but I've seen quite a lot of people have mysteriously bricked cards over time, if not immediately, using them in particular