1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ethereum mining rig suggestions

Discussion in 'Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Mining' started by tarkadahl, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Luke212

Luke212 Member

Never heard of delta 2400 where did you see it?

2. OCMunkee

OCMunkee Member

r3s and 151528 like this.
  3. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

They output 12.4v, could that be why?

4. Jaco

Jaco Member

Couldn't tell you, I've always used Desktop power supplies as they had resale value

Luke212 likes this.
  5. Luke212

Luke212 Member

by the way thought it would never happen in AU, but I bought a video card from techbuy and they demanded direct deposit, so i did bpay. They later said NO STOCK, and that they couldnt find my bpay payment. This lasted for weeks. And they wouldnt reply to my 10 emails. So I had to create a bank dispute to pull my money back and suddenly they 'found my payment'. Total crooks. you go read reviews for them, same issue. How can they operate in Australia being like that?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
  6. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

If that's happening to a lot of people then people need to get the ACCC involved, its why the exist in the first place otherwise stores will keep pulling shit like that. A lot of stores have been getting pissy especially with GPUs the last couple of years because of miners and scalpers (although all stores are scalping lol).

Scorptec for example wont let you buy a GPU with the member pricing enabled, most stores refuse to say stock numbers even when they know them etc.

7. cvidler

cvidler Member

(Specs I see says 12.5v)

that shouldn't be the problem, ATX standard says +/- 5% for 3.3/5/12V rails.
    that's min/max of 11.4/12.6V

Buuuttt... if it's regulation is poor, running on the high side of the limit already may mean it goes over with transients (rapid changes in load) you'd need an oscilloscope to properly determine that. a multimeter isn't fast enough to track transients.

Delta is a good reputable brand, so I doubt it's terrible in terms of regulation.

But again you're flying close to the edge of the standard. and the cards will be made to run at 12v +/- 5%, not 12.5v +/- whatever tolerance the Delta has.

8. Luke212

Luke212 Member

so why does the delta run at 12.5 anyway? why not 12.0? who did they make these psu for?

9. Soarer GT

Soarer GT Member

Its cheaper to have less filtering and compensate with higher voltage than to regulate properly (cost of mosfets/heatsinks and caps).

Why spend an extra $50 per unit to remove ripple and allow fast switching when you can just turn a trimpot and pray?

10. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

If thats all they did that for then thats sad.

:(

11. Soarer GT

Soarer GT Member

Its a common tactic if you dont have controlled load. Same as if you dont know how long power source to load is (think old school pre PoE analog cameras. As cable length may be over 40m, you need 5.8v to account for losses along the cable so that the end device has 5v.

Ill give another hint for tuning cards to get max potential out of it. Even if you are using nicehash excavator or gminer, they dont do error checking as good as phoenixminer. So if you think your setup is running perfect with no errors on the console, try running phoenixminer with same overclocks (either with afterburner or octune) and see which card throws an error. Your average hashrate should be equal or higher than what is reported on the console.

Phoenixminer doesnt seem to perform as good as gminer for me, however their error checking code seems superior. Just another tool to check your setups.

Luke212 likes this.
  12. Luke212

Luke212 Member

i am almost certain, having gone so far as to write my own gpu ETH miner, that everyones error checking is equal. its EXTREMELY easy to detect errors. thats literally the the whole point of the crypto space.

its not the error checking, but the gpu kernels will be different on each miner depending how they decided to skin the cat. so you get different core/memory combinations causing different stresses.

im actually trying to remove the LHR lock now on my miner for education purposes only. nvidia is pretty sneaky i havent worked it out yet.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
  13. duck_boy

duck_boy Member

I found Phoenix miner is garbage for 30x0 serier GPUs. Random invalid shares it can go for a day no invalid shared in 2 hours 20 pop up, does not matter what i did still the same. My rigs also suffer from random crash. T-rex on the other hand super stable 20 days straight before I reboot and now it even more energy efficient then before.

some guy on facebook got his 3080 LHR unlock by accident. He said when he runs 3080lhr it started out at 80mh/s then started to drop to 40 mh/s then the applied the MSI afterburn overclock setting then the GPU stay hash at 80mh/s.

14. Luke212

Luke212 Member

he probably fixed it for a while and then it drops back down. i think lolminer do this. they keep overclocking it every minute, to get performance roughly 75%.

i am taking different approach, trying to hide the algo from nvidia.

OCMunkee likes this.
  15. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Are all models hash rate limited now?

:(

16. Luke212

Luke212 Member

yep.

id be careful buying more now though. mining could end before you get a real return.

17. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Yeah apparently the limited ones were the reason for the stock delay, Nvidia changed the silicone to add the limiter (apparently) and you cant be sure which ones are or aren't limited because they aren't saying (again apparently).

ROI is going to be a bitch, friend has 10k worth of cards and as of a few days ago has only made around 1.7k back after mining for a few months. Doubt he'll see a full return. I probably wont see a return until the end of the year... Providing I'm still mining by then. It's costing me about $2 a day for 3 cards, 1070, 1660 & 6900 at roughly 22 cents per kW (rough math I don't get told how much I'm charged per kW :rolleyes:).

18. Soarer GT

Soarer GT Member

Yeah I dont use phoenixminer for actual mining. It does wierd shit sometimes like you say. I'm in the gminer camp for dedicated rig.

19. r3s

r3s Member

The box codes tell you what is what.

20. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Do the limited ones have a different PN? Surely it cant be that easy if they wont say which are limited.

:)