1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ethereum mining rig suggestions

Discussion in 'Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Mining' started by tarkadahl, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Maybe so but how will you know buying online?

The last I heard about it Nvidia wasn't going to say which was which so miners couldn't know.

2. duck_boy

duck_boy Member

3. r3s

r3s Member

You ring the store and aak for the code before finalising.

4. im late

im late Member

I will try my question here:

5. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Does the water block help the back side ram temps?

:)

6. im late

im late Member

I would assume anyone putting on a waterblock would also put pads on the backplate as well when reassembling.

I am more interested in owners who have a 3080 and waterblock (and who have put pads on the backplate) what their mems temps are overclocked.

7. Jag_Guy

Jag_Guy Member

If it’s of any help, I didn’t replace pads on the backplate of my 3090 with a Waterblock installed. Memory temps sit on 82c when fully cranked up running +1255mem. Core sits at about 32-35 depending on ambient temps.

I didn’t put any special thermal pads on either, so I’m sure with high quality thermal pads on both sides with a Waterblock you’d get mem temps down a bit more.

3090’s are obviously know for being heats beasts so I’m sure a 3080 would cope much better.

Slug69 likes this.
  8. im late

im late Member

Thanks, so I am in the ballpark of what it is ideal then:

https://i.imgur.com/jeMUHwk.jpg

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
  9. Soarer GT

Soarer GT Member

Here's a bat script from F25 Group that checks if your OC is running before starting the miners. So you dont suddenly load all your cards at full pelt and melt cables if you were already going on the edge of power.

Code:
    @echo off
    REM Scripted by F25 Group APAC - Rage - Free to use and distribute.
    REM SearchString is either afterburner or whatever you use to OC.
    SET SearchString=Excavator
    :START
    tasklist|find /C "%SearchString%">processcheck.tmp
    SET /p CheckTaskRunning=<processcheck.tmp
    echo Number of processes found %CheckTaskRunning%
    IF %CheckTaskRunning%==0 (
        timeout 10
        GOTO START
    )

IF NOT %CheckTaskRunning%==0 (
        timeout 10
        echo task is running so start the miner here
    )

10. Mac-Pro

Mac-Pro Member

[​IMG]

Gas is up, fire up the rigs!

s4Rg3 likes this.
  11. r3s

r3s Member

People turn them off?

12. Mac-Pro

Mac-Pro Member

[​IMG]

It looked like it. China was the steep curve coming down. Before that was the casual miners I'd say.

13. r3s

r3s Member

Could have been some preempting chinas lockdown and moving their setups etc, or just selling them off at the peak.
    I dont understand turning them off if they are still profitable at the current depressed rates.
    Worse case make a bit less after paying for power, best case accumulate more for later.

The Beast and Mac-Pro like this.
  14. Jag_Guy

Jag_Guy Member

I think there’d be a fair percentage of people who have bought GPU’s at peak price and when they start to see ROI go 12+ months they panic and try to sell for max price, and on top of that start to see GPU prices come down so again panic and sell ASAP.

15. cvidler

cvidler Member

China banned mining, and was cutting off their power, so not a choice to turn them off.

and they don't accumulate, they'd have massive power and hardware bills to pay off.

16. Luke212

Luke212 Member

cool. i use nicehash to overclock but trex to mine.

nicehash programmers are stupid. if the system crashes, on reboot it will put a message saying "do you want to overclock or set default?" and you have to manually click "overclock". so even though i can check for nicehash running, it still might be sitting there waiting for my prompt. and trex will start on full power. have to write my own hacks in to nicehash to protect from that.

nice hash are total amateurs but their overclock single click is great if you dont want too much fuss optimising your gpus.

love trex but i wonder if they lie a bit on their hashrates moreso than others.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
  17. boneburner

boneburner Member

18. Soarer GT

Soarer GT Member

Dont rely on the reported hashrate. The number you need to watch is the 24hr average as hash/difficulty goes up and down.

So in the pic attachment my reported hashrate for this rig is 528.7MH which is what trex or gminer/phoenix whatever reports. What the server sees is the Realtime Hash rate averaged over x minutes. This value goes up and down.

The 24hr average is your hash rate after miner dev fee and errors/stales are taken out... its pretty much what you get paid for and the one to watch to see if your overclocks are too high. Sometimes you dont get errors on your miner app, but the gap between reported hashrate and 24hr average is too high... so something inbetween is fucking your shit up.

Sometimes it simple stuff like thermal pad throttling. Like if you set your target vram temp to 94deg on a 3080 and a pad is failing... any time that gpu goes over 94 it will self throttle and reduce hashrates. This is not reflected in the software.

Attached Files:

19. Luke212

Luke212 Member

I am on flexpool and on one miner shows 234MH Reported, 280MH Effective. 99% valid 1% stale, 0% invalid
    Another is 189MH Reported, 120MH Effective. 99.29% valid 0.71% stale.

Both similar share % but wildly different hashrate reporting. Seems complete bs?

I assume though, if there are low invalid and low stale, its working as expected. but no real way to trust the hashrate given above?

20. fad

fad Member

As the ETH price has come down so has the difficulty. I looks to me like my rigs are making the same amount per day.

Crosspeen and r3s like this.