1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Ethereum mining rig suggestions

Discussion in 'Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Mining' started by tarkadahl, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Luke212

Luke212 Member

the problem is, if the other miner software see its possible to unlock, they will put more time in to solve it. so the 1% then goes away. do you think you keep it a secret and sell it to a large mining group for exclusive use so they can buy cheap LHR cards just to themselves?

2. PiNoY

PiNoY Member

68749A54-5C31-43BE-AF12-6F569DA3D69A.jpeg
    mine has been fluctuating a lot lately too! Be interesting to see what happens on the 4th of august!

3. toopy28

toopy28 Member

I would of said it's been rather steady of late
    upload_2021-7-12_19-35-23.png

PiNoY likes this.
  4. icontact

icontact Member

For the guys mining ETH, can I ask what your plans are when Ethereum migrates completely to proof of stake? stop mining or move on to another profitable coin?

5. toopy28

toopy28 Member

when that eventually happens move to the next most profitable coin. Just to reiterate the move to POS isn't going to happen in august.
    Of course mining a different coin could be more profitable than eth since the burn fees.

icontact likes this.
  6. r3s

r3s Member

All depends on the price of ETH as to whether the network hashrate migrates, i will most likely leave mine if the coin reward stays similar and the price goes down, accumulating as much as i can, rigs run for 1.5 months without touching a thing so let it run, Solar production is starting to go back up heading towards summer after the winter solstice so running costs will be covered for longer periods of the day soon, will be time to switch my exhaust from heating the house to venting into the ceiling, has been nice not running the heater this winter, my ROI is hard to work out as the cards are saving that cost as well, in real terms the cards have paid for themselves with accumulated crypto and household running cost reductions.

7. AERO

AERO Member

We got our power bill. Certainly higher than previous quarter. Hope later this year to get solar though

8. Luke212

Luke212 Member

get out if nothing else is profitable. probably sooner if ETH drops too much

proof of stake could be a while away.

9. groovetek

groovetek Member

Well, having only mined for the first time in my life back in March with my own personal RTX3080, I then got quite hooked on it and invested in quite a few cards. It's likely that within the remaining time left before transition to PoS, the equivalent value of ETH mined will not pay off the acquisition cost of the equipment, but that's on the basis that the GPUs are worth zero after such point in time.

I'm mining to HODL, basically, which makes my life easier too. Quite simply, mine as much as you can, as long as you can until either a) not possible to mine anymore, or b) it's cheaper to buy ETH than mine with electricity.

With the big spike in ETH value in April, etc. this only made things worse for those planning to HODL - those on NiceHash and those who cashed out made a quick buck, but yeah, the more miners exit the network, the lower the ETH value dips (but remains above equivalent electricity cost to mine it), the better it is for guys like me.

r3s likes this.
  10. groovetek

groovetek Member

I may have missed it - what/how many cards are you running?

11. toopy28

toopy28 Member

12. Soarer GT

Soarer GT Member

13. toopy28

toopy28 Member

Mining in ethermine, went through Nano, Flex, Spark and Ethermine.
    Ethermine was the fastest to 0.1 consistently.

Others have found the same
    I would like to give 2 miners a go but the latency is pretty high

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
  14. AERO

AERO Member

Last couple of days my second pc running team red miner has been closing the program at random. Has a 6700xt and a rx580 8gb in it.
    Has been stable for months even had an uptime of 27 days til recently a windows update forced itself upon the pc.

just found couple of times I go check the pc and the program has just closed itself and that’s it. Nothing else is affected.

15. Jaco

Jaco Member

When I used to run into garbage like that, heck, sometimes the miner wouldn't even re-open

Reinstall the operating system and ensure you disable all relevant windows update options via group policy, to ensure properly it won't run

You could also check the miner logs too to see why, but yeah

16. Soarer GT

Soarer GT Member

I keep an N+1 system for situations like that. Like a dell 9010 dt ($100-$150) will run 6 cards max with a port expander(limit of chipset). Its a test rig for when you repad cards but also for unfucking situations like above.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  17. Jag_Guy

Jag_Guy Member

Yep, if you’re running more that 3 rigs, some sort of test rig is super important. I have a ‘hot swap’ setup out the back of my Gaming PC (just a riser and some power cables) so that I can quickly do whatever I need to do. Also pays to keep some capacity on your rigs so you can shuffle things around if there are some major issues….but there is a limit to how much insurance you have.

18. duck_boy

duck_boy Member

I have a core2duo test rig just pop in the trouble some GPU and test it.

19. r3s

r3s Member

My htpc can take full size cards and has a seasonic platinum 650w psu enough to run anything to test :)

20. 151528

151528 Member