1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ethereum mining rig suggestions

Discussion in 'Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Mining' started by tarkadahl, Nov 10, 2020.

1. r3s

r3s Member

15-18months away, wonder how many will want to fork out the extra when there will be surplus 3080/3090's floating around.

2. apemann

apemann Member

I would get one for sure, 3080 cant get anywhere close to maxing the 240hz on the Samsung G9 and doubt a 3090 would either.

and yeah thats the thing with all those 2nd hand cards coming on the market they (Nvidia) will have to do something to offset all the development costs and ensure they sell a volume of the new ones.

Without the miner demand cards will be back close to MSRP so 4080 $1k and if its literally twice as fast as a 3080 it would be a plan that would make sense. There will be so much hype 3xxx cards value will go through the floor. Massive Supply increase (miners selling) + far less demand (no miners + 4xxx) = price drop

Whats a 3080 going to be worth if a card twice as fast is $1k brand new?

Ive got rid of over half my farm over the last few weeks and plan on getting rid of the rest by October.

Had 100s of people trying to buy and everyone has the same plan of selling when mining stops.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  3. cvidler

cvidler Member

lol, musical chairs, don't want to be left holding cards when the music stops.

Ideally you want to be out early in the game, so you get maximum ROI back on the cards (offsetting mining losses for selling up early).

4. r3s

r3s Member

Everyones acting like there wont be thing to mine after ETH mining stops........ if the cards are paid off then i don't see any reason to sell them if they are still producing profits.

If the cards drop that much i may even add a few more.

5. 151528

151528 Member

This, and, why would nvidia sell their new cards at $1,000 if they're 2x as good? We showed them we're willing to pay well more than that, so they'll launch the new ones up at 2-2.5k and then still be selling their 3000 series for close to msrp, they'll be the ones laughing, not us

(bunch of dreamers here)

r3s likes this.
  6. r3s

r3s Member

Exactly, MSRP ..... hahahah goodluck with that :D

7. apemann

apemann Member

Have about 100 left happy for you to take them :)

8. r3s

r3s Member

pm me when 3070's are worth $400 :)

9. apemann

apemann Member

Haha hoping to be out for a long time by then

r3s likes this.
  10. apemann

apemann Member

Quick bit of looking at ebay and there seem to be 13 listing's for second hand 3070s in Australia.

The average person we sold to had 6 to 20 cards, a few with 50 plus and one with a lot more.

The grief of trying to shift cards 1 at a time wouldve been epically painful.

I would be interested to look back and see how many there are listed at Xmas and what they are going for.

If the merge is delayed until q1 2022 they won't go on the market until after then so it'd be March 2022.

Expect there to be vastly more cards up for sale than anyone expects.

11. r3s

r3s Member

I expect a lot, but i also expect if people cant get a reasonable resale they may just keep mining other coins.

12. Rusty X5

Rusty X5 Member

Not sure which thread to post this in

Currently mining with a 2070 super and 3700x getting roughly 43Mh/s, running roughly 5-6 days a week, roughly worked out mining 0.03 eth which at current price is roughly $80-90 and the increase in my power bill per month is roughly an extra $45-55..so you could argue $30-40 profit per month. Is this about right for what people are getting?

13. r3s

r3s Member

That power cost for 1 card seems massive, are you heavily undervolting it when mining?

I have a rig running 3 x 3070's and a 1660ti that costs around $70 a month to run putting out 216mh/s

At the end of the day the "profit" is only if you exchange the coins mined for fiat, if you think ETH will go up then you take that extra gamble to hold.

I see ETH hitting at least 10k at some point in the future so currently i am looking at that in my calculations, my rigs are running at 0.25-0.33ETH a month which i equate to $2500-3300 a month holding to at least that point, the fiat value in calculators will change with the price/difficulty these wont matter as much if your holding long term.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  14. Rusty X5

Rusty X5 Member

No undervolt..just stock volts and clock, im also mining the CPU. I'm just doing it cause for shits and giggles and its there. I'm using cudominer, not the best dedicated miner out there, but it easy to use and I use the PC for other things so yer.

Going off my math (rough math lol) i'm getting a approx $1-$1.30 profit a day from my setup (gfx and cpu). Does that sound about right?

15. 151528

151528 Member

You'll want to do a quick google on setting up the card for mining, it's very quick and simple, but you can double your power efficiency

If it's a windows machine, download msi afterburner, this is a very easy program to use, just slide the power limit and core clock down, push the memory clock up a little, and set the fan to manual to the lowest speed you can go with a temperature you're happy with (you'll have to use another program to keep an eye on hot spot temperature, as that will be the hottest)

16. Luke212

Luke212 Member

i dont see any reason to mine if you are holding on to them. there is no benefit over just buying the coins.

i always sell immediately. and it works out quite profitable and no risk if ETH and all crypto finally collapses. if you think its not going to collapse, just buy it. you can even leverage on futures markets if you are so keen to throw money to the wind.

apemann likes this.
  17. r3s

r3s Member

It's called mitigating risks and also its fun to tinker with stuff and in my case it heats my house over winter and accumulates for free on Solar during daylight hours , my cards have paid for themselves if i was to cash out now and i could sell them for a profit but considering they have a 3 year warranty and would be replaced by something as good or better if they die down the track or they will be put to use as gaming cards there really was no downside.

When ETH goes past 10k down the track will you have regrets for not holding, did you need the funds right now or was it just fear of not getting your outlay back?
    Crypto needs an all in attitude and patience to get the biggest gains if you are investing in solid projects.

Hows your LHR miner going?

Soarer GT likes this.
  18. apemann

apemann Member

I literally had 17 enquiries yesterday alone over a card that I listed for sale.

There are going to be thousands of people who are mining selling cards and rigs in only a few months.

It's absolutely insane.

We are selling everything and just buying.

By the time you factor in power, what the testnets show of eip1559 and that there are going to be 1000s of these cards for sale in a few months its a bonkers investment now

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  19. apemann

apemann Member

Flexpool has 7ths.

Roughly 330ghs of that is from the Australian server.

Roughly 5%

If 5% of global hashrate is going off Australian servers just think how many cards are running.

If you want to maximise your margin seriously consider letting any mining gear go whilst it's at the top.

Most of our 3xxx cards were bought for 799 to 999.

Oh to think of a latest gen card for $800 what 7 months ago.

Mining has gone absolutely mental.

There are newbies pouring in like we've never seen before.

20. Jag_Guy

Jag_Guy Member

Yep, if you are one who expects ROI in <9 months, and mining on ETH does end in March next year, and you don't believe any other coin will be profitable...there's little sense in buying a 3xxx card (or really any card) right now.

A billion if's but's and maybes in there, as with anything.