Ethereum mining rig suggestions

Discussion in 'Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Mining' started by tarkadahl, Nov 10, 2020.

1. NerfDude

NerfDude Member

If you want to post the contents of the bat file in here we can help you work out what’s going on,
    Likely you’ll have some unpaid balance on the pool. You can PM it to me if you don’t want to post the wallet in here.

2. r3s

r3s Member

Here i was thinking gpu prices were going to stabilise and start going down, they've gone mental again, its awfully hard to not sell up at this point in the game.

3. Jag_Guy

Jag_Guy Member

Yep I was kinda hoping to grab another 1GH of cards and had my finger on the trigger but when 3060Ti’s are going for $1500+ it just doesn’t make sense. :( I’m just concentrating on getting my rigs ready to be able to run Kapow in the middle of summer, which is a challenge!

4. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

It's the global component shortage causing the price issues, look at other things like power bricks, electronic kits etc you'll see that heaps are out of stock or really expensive. Buildzoid and others have noticed it as well on newer cards, there's components from 4 or 5 different manufactures because they cant get enough from 1 to build whole cards.

5. Hi-tek

Hi-tek Member

Anyone mining with 3080s able to share their core temperatures? My vram seems good, but I'm not sure if extra heat is spreading to the core now

6. dualmassager

dualmassager Member

I target 45 C core, 82 C on VRAM on my Gaming Trio X. Fans will run at 35-60% depending on ambient.

7. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

got my 2nd Dell laptop (I7 rather than ryzen)
    Uses more power and less hashrate due to the micron memory on the 3060 (10w more and ~4mh/s less) - bummer but wanted to try out the I7 version

8. OhFoRkMe

OhFoRkMe Member

9. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

If you want one, now would be the time.
    Saw ~28mh/s fully overclocked on youtube, not bad i guess considering the low power but not gonna be able to ROI before Eth Merge i'd say

10. OhFoRkMe

OhFoRkMe Member

I picked up one last night as I posted the link.
    Will have a play with it and if its not worth it, can sell for more than I bought it for most likely

11. apemann

apemann Member

wow... I havent checked in here for a while. Are you guys seriously still buying more cards?

The merge date is likely to be annoucned or at least a target date set tomorrow.

There are going to be literally thousands, maybe 10s of thousands of 3xxx cards for sale by xmas.

12. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Some people have more money than sense. Others are gearing up for the next coin that may or may not happen. Crypto is gambling, more the trading side of it than the mining side but yeah.

13. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Cant speak for some people but i have some strategies
    a) upgrading older cards to better models that hold their value as they are better performers or newer (rather than just mining)
    b) using laptops which hold a higher value overall and a different market to desktop GPU's
    and for both only buying when you get a really good deal

14. apemann

apemann Member

it doesnt have to be gambling, just follow the core dev calls, discord or even github to know whats going on.

perform better sure, ive kept a few 3080s for gaming pcs for all nope I cant see them being worth bugger all next year.

no idea how you can turn a profit on ETH now.

As for mining new coins....

15. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Yeah because the initial cost of a 3080 is sky high, all mine are far lower priced cards.
    They'll drop in value but not by the huge dollar amounts of something like that.

$5 a day for a few months is fine by me if i get a couple of months more before the merge.
    If i dont i can sell off and not lose anything.

16. r3s

r3s Member

Ethereum mining isnt the only thing, the world wide componentry issues are also keeping prices up there, talks of supply chain issues not being sorted til end of next year etc, gamers gotta game.

17. apemann

apemann Member

we will see how much they drop by...

I am way more pessimistic and think you will barely be able to sell a card when every other miner in the country sticks 10 cards on gumtree or ebay.

some napkin maths says there is about 21Ths mining Ethereum in Australia (australia servers roughly 1/35 of global hashrate).

Thats a shit ton of cards about to go on the market and i dont think there are enough gamers in Australia to satisfy what is coming.

18. apemann

apemann Member

never worked this out before buy i think this is correct

21ths = 21,000,000mhs

/60mhs for a 3070 =

350,000 * 3070s

australian figures taken from flexpool

even if its half that, or even 10% of that (just Flexpool and Nanopool have that)

be interesting when 35,000 - 350,000 cards go on the market.

19. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

you'll find that those heavily invested will probably be looking at other coins to mine, depends on the market.
    Some will hold and wait
    Some will sell off
    Some will just keep gaming on theirs and just stop mining

But yes its all an unknown, so do your own sums and do what you want

20. duck_boy

duck_boy Member

None of my mining GPUs will be on the market. When you mine within your means there is nothing to worry about. Eth > Ergo, conflux, etc to mine. I won't be mining RVN though, already have a bag full from 2018.