Ethernet cable too long - best way to extend the signal?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by -Sk3tChY-, Sep 5, 2017.

1. -Sk3tChY-

-Sk3tChY- Member

Had a sparky do a cable run for us recently, which we know is over 100m in length.

The cable has been ran, terminated and tested using one of these basic testers - which shows all the pairs as being good and passes.

Whenever we try using the cable though, it just doesn't work and at this stage I'm fairly confident it's probably due to the cable being over 100m.

1. I'm guessing these very basic testers pretty much just check for continuity and would work on runs much longer than 100m? Which is why it shows as a "pass" when the cable is too long for data?

2. The cable isn't excessively over 100m, it was estimated to be about 120-130m. We figured we would perhaps just end up with a slightly slower link, or with Ethernet is it just good up until a certain point and then it will fail completely?

3. What would be the cheapest/easiest way to get the run working? Could we just stick cheap switch in the middle so it would be like 2 x 60m cables?

The cable run is intended to connect an NBN HFC modem in the MDF to a VDSL modem in the office via the WAN port - so link speed isn't an issue at all - the WAN link is only 15Mbit.

Any help much appreciated.

2. power

power Member

fiber run.

3. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

solar powered repeater

4. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

I've had trouble with auto-negotiate on longer runs, manually setting link speeds allowed us to maintain a link measured at 135 on the fluke.

Also, we found that cheaper gear was more tolerant of shit links than expensive stuff.

5. OP
    OP
    -Sk3tChY-

-Sk3tChY- Member

I probably should have mentioned - we're only expecting to be in this situation until the beginning of next year when we'll be moving office, so we don't want to over-invest in something we won't need in like 5-6 months time. Ideally hoping we're able do something with the existing run we've got if it's possible.

Costly, we'd have to re-run the cable and purchase expensive media converters, etc. This will probably be a last resort if we can't use the copper we've currently got in place.

Repeater, guessing this is wireless? Again, would involve quite a bit of work - but if you could link the type of repeater you're speaking of it would be great - just in case we can't get this copper working.

Definitely not expensive gear. We're plugging from the NBN supplied HFC modem in the MDF to the Optus supplied Sagecomm modem in the office.

The auto-negotiate thing might be worth a shot, presumably setting the link to a slower speed would increase the likelihood of it working for us?

The thing is, when we plug into the WAN port on the modem we see no signs of life, no LED flashing or anything. If we bring the Optus modem into the MDF and just run a normal patch lead, everything works fine - so the config is definitely fine.

6. MiloVasic

MiloVasic Member

Repeater, guessing this is wireless? Again, would involve quite a bit of work - but if you could link the type of repeater you're speaking of it would be great - just in case we can't get this copper working.

Go 50-75m, put a solar powered box with a powered 'repeater' aka switch.
    That way each cable run is now half what it was

7. Gunna

Gunna Member

Can you shorten the run and have a switch inbetween 120m run?

8. OP
    OP
    -Sk3tChY-

-Sk3tChY- Member

Would you be able to show a link to the type of hardware I'd need for this?

I'm guessing the "solar powered box" is something separate to the repeater?

We should be able to cut the cable near a power source (it's ran indoors) so may not even need a solar powered component.

This is what I was considering, is this fine for our setup? (It's solely for the WAN link)

My hope was we could just cut the cable somewhere around the middle (near a power source) and just plug in a cheap gigabit switch.

----------

I came across this device in my own research, but it requires PoE at one end.

Is there not some sort of cheap alternative to this which we could use with a power outlet?

9. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Ethernet over power is suppose to have a 300 meter range. Is it on the same circuit?

10. cvidler

cvidler Member

fibre isn't a expensive as you may think.

some 100Mbps converters and a long OM3 (50/125 multimode good for 300m+) patch lead would get the job done for a temporary install.

But as covered already, forcing the link speed down to 100 or even 10, would improve the situation as they require less from the cable (in terms of analogue bandwidth), so will be more tolerant to the over length cable.

Did the sparky install solid core or stranded cable? solid core has better transmission capabilities than stranded (usually sued for patch leads, not installed runs)

11. OP
    OP
    -Sk3tChY-

-Sk3tChY- Member

We're not running EoP, we ran a dedicated Cat6 cable from the MDF to the office. Just seems like it's a little too long, so not receiving anything at the other end. :thumbdn:

Seems we should have done this in the first place - the sparky didn't seem very knowledgeable with data cabling and more-or-less said if it's a bit over 100m "it should be right" - we personally figured if we were just a bit over 100m we may lose some link speed, but since it was for a WAN link we were fine with this.

The issue is that it's running across a large factory floor which required a lift to reach the roof, etc. Running the cable alone was quite a costly job, so we're really hoping we can make do with the copper we have in place.

Doesn't even look like this can be set in the Optus modem - I'll have to check on my own which I managed to extract the admin password from.

Presumably I'd need to do this at both ends though?

Definitely solid core, from memory he had your typical 300m roll of Clipsal Cat6.

Surely there's got to be some sort of relatively affordable injector/s or something we can just put at either end or in the middle somewhere to just boost things that little bit we need to get a connection? :(

----------

Could we put a switch in the middle and end up with something like:

NBN HFC Modem <--- 65M CAT6 ---> SWITCH <--- 65M CAT6 ---> VDSL MODEM

I'm just not sure if it would work because I figure the connection between the two modems needs to be direct.

12. abishop

abishop Member

13. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

yea.. look. you shuld have told the sparky to fuck off, he obviously had no idea

14. Gunna

Gunna Member

It would be fine, just document that you have that switch in place.

The frames would come in, get unpacked and repackaged to go to the router\wan port so could go another 100m.

15. gords

gords Oh deer!

Use your expensive copper as a pull cable for some pre-terminated fibre. That and a media converter at either end will do the trick.

Edit: And use a proper data cabler next time!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  16. sir_bazz

sir_bazz Team Papparazi

The switch would just forward the traffic, (regenerating the signal), which is what you are wanting. But I'm guessing both the modems have WAN links, so unsure what are you trying to accomplish by linking the two.

17. cvidler

cvidler Member

Ethernet doesn't 'degrade' in speed like say ADSL will. It'll work perfectly, or it'll work with some packet loss (e.g if the link is noisy*, not too long to reach), or it won't.

*which it may be now you've said it crosses a factory, any big electrical machinery involved? anything with motors, welders etc. sparky has probably run it along side power cables too.
    /shakes head

18. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

Did you follow the T568A or T568B standard, in terms of the connectors at each end?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  19. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

Drop it to fixed 10Mbit Duplex and see if it works. Had to do this on an old cat5 run that was 110m.

Cat6 should do 100mbit easy over 100m. As long as it is terminated on Cat6 jacks and all.

20. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Sparky may have used Cat 5e instead of Cat 6, yes people still do this.