Europe 2013- VENICE (inc Burano)

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by The_Scroop, Apr 30, 2013.

1. The_Scroop

The_Scroop Member

Earlier this year myself and GF went on a holiday + tour to Europe. Best thing I've done was such a good tour! Even though it was winter over there, the experience is something so different to the busy summer season and I'm glad I did it. The snow in Austria and Switzerland was awesome, will put them up in due course.

Here's a few snaps from the Venice leg of the trip.

1. Bridge into Venice
    [​IMG]

2. Random Sign
    [​IMG]

3. Grand Canal at night
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Touristy photo of the Rialto
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Last day of Carnival
    [​IMG]

10. Top of a tower
    [​IMG]

11. Burano
    [​IMG]

12. Burano
    [​IMG]

13. Burano
    [​IMG]

14. Burano
    [​IMG]

15. Burano
    [​IMG]

2. simplelogik

simplelogik Member

Ahh Burano is such a cool place :) !!

3. OP
    OP
    The_Scroop

The_Scroop Member

Had no idea what to expect, they said it was a 'photographers dream'...did not disappoint

4. Stornn

Stornn Member

Burano photos are stellar!

5. schliebs87

schliebs87 Member

great stuff!

I was there in April this year for 3 nights and it was pissing down the whole time!
    So disappointed but glad you had some better weather!

6. OP
    OP
    The_Scroop

The_Scroop Member

Ahh thats a shame, but I bet it was still nice regardless! Even in the middle of freezing european winter I thought everything was great.

7. simplelogik

simplelogik Member

I actually prefer Burano than Venice, I think Venice is just too overwhelming because there are too many beautiful buildings around. Imagine any one of the Ventitian buildings were in Australia, that would be a monument but over there it's a dime a dozen :) ..

For photography, the colours in Burano is just magical :) !! I like to shoot a wedding there one day .. even if it's free :)

8. The Moose

The Moose Member

Nice shots! Way better than the ones I took when my girlfriend and I went to Europe in January.

We were in Venice in the second week of January, it was pissing down with rain when we first got there and it took us about 2 hours to find our hotel with our luggage. We didn't think it was that far from the train station, so we walked it. Mistake! The weather improved on the other day or two we were there.

You're right about the snow in Switzerland too. Our first city with snow on the trip was Geneva. Seeing snow cover a city like we're used to living in was unreal and so much better than in the mountains here.

9. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Very nice - some great shots there.

We were in Venice over Christmas 2010, and they were having particularly high tides (acqua alta), which flooded parts of the city, including San Marco. Wasn't particularly nice - it had a pungent sewage smell to it :)
    It's pretty common, they roll out some boardwalks so you can at least get around.

This was Christmas Day:
    [​IMG]

Apparently last year was even worse (buggered if I would swim in it!):
    http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2012/11/venice-under-water/100403/

10. OP
    OP
    The_Scroop

The_Scroop Member

Thanks

Definately no deal on the swimming! In Feb when I was there it didn't really flood as such, except for high tide one morning. As the tide went out the water left too, so by afternoon it was like nothing had happened. Obviously not deep or long enough for them to roll out the boardwalks at the spot you took the pic from

[​IMG]