EVE EVE Online

Discussion in 'MMOs' started by Blown350, Jun 8, 2004.

1. eyeLikeCarrots

eyeLikeCarrots Member

A mission ship needs to have 2 things.

1 - tank - the ability to keep your ship from exploding by absorbing damage and repairing your hull or recharging your shield.
    2 - gank - the ability to keep your ship from exploding by preventing damage being done to your ship (ie - kill them before they can get within effective range of thier guns)

You are flying a Vexor, the classic fit for this ship is armor tanked. A medium armor repairer and some armor hardeners, a cap recharger or 2 in the mid slots. This is how to fit a tank to a vexor.

The Vexors other strength is its drones. I would get drone operatation to V ASAP and then combat drone operation to IV ASAP. Your aim with this ship is to maximise the damage that your drones do. You might not even fit guns until your drones are decent and your tank is effective.

Once you find the right balance of tank/gank, the only other thing you need to do is read the mission reports http://eve-survival.org/wikka.php?wakka=MissionReports before you decide to accept a mission (dont accept a mission you are not sure you can do, otherwise you will have to quit it and lose standings) and once in the mission, manage aggro by being careful not to hit the wrong trigger ship so that you DONT pull too many bad guys at once.

Where are you in space... what is your home system, I'd be happy to help by kiting you through a couple of missions.

2. ZeonX

ZeonX Member

Yeah depending where you are I could maybe help as well. Either with the mission or even just a chat to help with ship fitting how and other questions you may have.

Also after reading your post make sure you are only single tanked, so choose either shield or armour not both. The vexor will be better generally armour tanked because of it slot layout. Also getting cruiser 3/4 will help with drone damage.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  3. L4ncer

L4ncer Member

I can't remember exactly where I am but I think it's somewhere in the placid region, I'm training cruisers to 4 as we speak.

As for the shield/armour tank, what exactly do you mean by this? Do you mean that if I'm an armour tank then my shield will be easily destroyed but then the armour will not be easily broken? And the other way around, so shield tank, my shield will not be easily destroyed so I won't really need armour repairers.

From memory I'm using a medium shield booster I, which does the job and keeps my shield going... until my cap runs out then I'm screwed. So perhaps all I need is a cap recharger and I'll be fine for now :Paranoid:

4. Jazz

Jazz Member

Get yourself EVEMon and EVEHQ

EVEmon will let you easily access Battleclinic and recommended ship builds, and then you can plug them into the Ship builder of EVEHQ and play with the fits and your stats to see what suits you best.

5. magic_kermy

magic_kermy Member

Anyone care to comment on EVEFit v EVEHQ? I've always used EVEFit and it's been fine, but does EVEHQ offer anything that might be of use?

6. gumble85

gumble85 Member

I am a converted EFT guy to EveHQ. Very nice program indeed. It has POS manager, reactions, labs, etc that can link into your chars ingame api to keep track of everything on your POS out of game like fuel, etc. :) It has a fitting tool that is very good as well as countless other stuff and you can get add ons for it also. Never tried add ons tho.

7. WarpSpider74

WarpSpider74 Member

@L4ncer

Pretty much what the other guys have said. Get onto Battleclinic and check out some fits for yourself, download EFT or EVEHQ to try them out.

As an example, here's a cheap little Vexor fit I used to use for one of my alts...

That was used for ratting and L2 missions against Sanshas rats and worked just fine. Use whichever drones do the most damage to the enemy you are fighting, start with Tech 1 gear and upgrade stuff to T2 as you are able. The Regenerative Projector is a remote armour repper to patch up your drones armour during fights if they draw any aggro, to top up their shields you just dock them for a few minutes. If necessary use the Nos on any enemies in range to help keep your capacitor up. Get your drone skills up ASAP, better drones means faster rat pops means less damage to you. Good luck!! and stick with it.

8. Dougal

Dougal Member

L4ncer - sounds like your shield tanking. You description of armor v shield tanking is pretty spot on.

Not sure on that ship but sounds like it's built for armor tanking, it's usually best to match your tanking skills to a ship. At this stage as you prob have limited skills it's easy to switch between armor and shield tanking as they'll be short training skills, eventually you'll want to focus on one or the other but don't worry too much at this stage, have fun first then worry :) but for that ship maybe give armor tanking a whirl (I hate armor tanking - no real reason - I think it is the psychological effect of not having a 'whole' section of tank to fall back on even tho it make next to no difference when push come to shove)

Evemon is a really good thing to have as it will allow you to check out people's 'fits' but remember to actually play the game as well. Get some stuff blown up and you'll learn pretty quick but remember if you can't afford to lose it in Eve, don't undock it.

9. L4ncer

L4ncer Member

Thanks for the advice guys :D I'll have a look at some setups etc before I fit my new vexor I bought to replace my blown up one :p I'll give armour tanking a go and see how that works out :thumbup:

10. gumble85

gumble85 Member

Just remember armour tanking is very, very cap hungry. I have found more so than shield tanking, but then again my armour tank skills are far superior tho. I need to fix that, but remember cap and drone skills for a vexor are vital. :)

11. L4ncer

L4ncer Member

I used some of the gear warpspider linked and it's helped alot, so thanks mate :thumbup: I also tried armour tanking and it seems to be working for me so I'll keep going with it :) The cap recharger made a HUGE difference :D

12. eyeLikeCarrots

eyeLikeCarrots Member

Has anyone told him about rigs yet ?

L4ncer, this is Ave, I'll be over your way some time soon to pick up some shit I've had stacmon for the last year. If you like I'll blow your vexor up.... er I mean show you the potential of your ship.

13. Kryp

Kryp Member

hey all, jumped on here for some shameless self promotion and recruitment :)

i am the director of Van Diemen's Demise [V-D-D] and were looking for active & experienced pvpers for our corp or Australian based corps for our alliance Chaos Theory Alliance

we are a new sov holding alliance in providence that currently hold 7 systems/4 stations that are looking to expand http://evemaps.dotlan.net/map/Providence

VDD has been around for a year now with an experienced and high SP core group of members. our primary focus is pvp and have done everything from high sec wars, low sec piracy, faction warfare and 0.0

we have anywhere from 10-20 active each night. we are looking to add members to our corp who have a reasonable skill based and are willing to learn

on the flip side, if your an australian based corp who have sov holding ambitions, were looking to bolster our numbers in the aussie timezone at an alliance level. theres lots of targets and lots of fun to be had while the yanks are in bed! we have quite a few experienced FC's in VDD so this could be a chance to take your corp to the next level as we hold down the aussie time zone

heres a link to our killboard to get an idea of the shenanigans going on in providence at - http://kb-eve.vddguild.com/?a=home

if your interested in joining VDD hit up www.vddguild.com and drop an application there

if your keen on moving your corp into our alliance, contact me (Kryptyk) or Yam Ling in game and we can talk about it further

14. L4ncer

L4ncer Member

Blow up my ship :shock: and no, I haven't heard of rigs at all. I'll be on from about 6:30 till 8:30 tonight, after that I'll be watching the pacific... hope its good! :lol:

15. ZeonX

ZeonX Member

L4ncer is that your ingame name as well? Also where were you missioning? I could come over tonight and help you if you wanted as I'll be online.

16. James_B

James_B Member

Howdy kinda new to the thread but been playing on and off for a while now, current char just hitting 4.5mil sp :p so kinda nubby.

Question I wanted to pose is, do I still need to be really careful who I sign up with alliance wise atm? I remember about 2 years ago I couldn't join a corp because I joined someone else at one stage who was allied with their enemy (guess they were scared of spies). Going to jump into pvp this week with the interceptor finally fully ready for battle and would prefer to dump the noob corp at the same time :).

17. eyeLikeCarrots

eyeLikeCarrots Member

Go away ZeonX, he's my n00b project.... lol

I should be on again tonight.

Also.... I could not join a corp called VDD.... it sounds like the title of a medical practictioner who treats sexually transmitted diseases.

edit - also, you guys kill quite a few Industrials, your all mouth because you can kill tin cans with engines on the back.. lame

18. ZeonX

ZeonX Member

Hahaha, I'll 1v1 ya for him :p

VDD aren't a bad bunch of fellas. Have fought them previously and they were actually willing to have a fight instead of run away which was good. Not sure who's still around from then as I've been fairly inactive the last 6+ months.

Also sometimes you gotta take whats given in EVE, I do like good fights but need to get the midnset of kill what ever I can because aus TZ sucks.

19. timsarg

timsarg Member

we are all mouth because we catch idiots at a gate ? In fact it is two of our member who rack up all those industrials .

Most of us are down in provi now and love to pvp . Just moved down here and looking forward to some good brawls with paxton once we get all our shit down here .

20. LlamaOfDoom!!!

LlamaOfDoom!!! Member

Don't shield *and* armor tank. Do one or the other.
    Shield tanking is far more cap hungry than armor tanking.
    Rigs are awesome, and very cheap now (for smller ships). You can find them under the "ship modifications" section in market browser.
    Frigate and destroyer class ships take "small" rigs.
    Cruiser and battlecruisers take "medium" rigs. BS+ take "large".
    Small rigs are SUPER cheap, medium rigs are quite cheap too (usually <5mil each).
    As a newer player, CCC's are probably best (capacitor control circuits), as these alleviate a lot of the capacitor problems you'll see with low skillpoint characters.

If you have good gunnery skills, get a thorax instead of a vexor.