EVE EVE Online

Discussion in 'MMOs' started by Blown350, Jun 8, 2004.

1. GarethB

GarethB Member

You're right, capacitor neuting is useless against NPC's, NPC ships are specifically made immune to capacitor neutralising effects. I don't PVE much and don't use cap warfare when I do PVE, so that detail slipped my mind when I wrote my other post.

On the other hand, as I understand it a vampire/nosferatu should still work against NPC ships. While the vamp won't drain the NPC's capacitor because NPC ships effectively have infinite energy in their capacitor, it will help keep your capacitor level up, so if you are running an active regen on your tank, you can keep your tank up for longer by using a vampire on an NPC to help recharge your capacitor.

That's assuming CCP didn't nerf that and I missed it.

So let's edumacate hotsuma on what's different between a capacitor neutraliser and a vampire/nosferatu (an alternate name for a vampire).

A neutraliser needs to be targeted on another ship just like a weapon that does damage. The neutraliser won't damage the ship, it reduces the amount of energy that ship's capacitor can store. With less energy available to the other ship, and depending on what modules it has, the other ship can potentially run out of power faster than you do, and when a ship has no power, all it's modules that need power (tank modules, weapon modules, speed boosters, etc) stop working. The target ship becomes a slow sitting duck that can't protect itself.

As madjack reminded me, neutralisers don't affect the capacitor on NPC ships, with one exception. Neutralisers have a second less well known capability. They interfere with the ability of the other ship to use active repair modules for their tanks (shield repairer, armour repairer, hull repairer). Tank repairers work in "cycles", and if a ship is targeted by a neutraliser and is trying to use a repairer, there is a percentage chance for each cycle of the repairer that it will not repair the tank. The exact percentage chance of this happening does not appear to be public knowledge, so I can't give you any firm numbers for it, but CCP devs have publicly said that this mechanism is real and it does affect NPC ships. They've also implied that size differences between the two ships affects the percentage. A small ship neuting a big ship has a much lower chance of disrupting a repair cycle compared to a big ship neuting a small ship.
    I couldn't find any clear info on what happens when multiple small ships all neut the same bigger ship, so I can't say if that is a viable option for small gang pvp or group pve.

A vampire module doesn't reduce how much energy another ship can store in it's capacitor, it steals/drains energy from the other ship's capacitor and adds that energy to your capacitor, but only under certain conditions. The condition is that the ship you are trying to steal energy from must have more energy than you, as a percentage.

In the Chasing Shadows mission, the boss is in a battlecruiser, several steps up from the frigate or destroyer that hotsuma is likely to be flying. Bigger ships have bigger capacitors so of course the battlecruiser will have more energy. The way vampires work is the game compares your capacitor's energy level against the other ship's energy level as a percentage, and ignores the raw total level of energy in each ship.

So let's say you're fighting a ship (NPC or player owned) and your capacitor is 85% full and the other ship is at 90% full. When your energy level (as a percentage) is lower than the other ship, the vampire will steal some of their energy and give it to you, until both ships are at an equal percentage, then the vampire stops. if your energy level is already equal to the other ship, or higher than the other ship, the vampire won't steal any energy.

Since the game is designed to let the capacitor on NPC ships stay at 100% all the time during a fight, you can never run an NPC ship out of energy, but by using a vampire module, you can use the NPC ship to help regen your capacitor faster. If your ship is not "capacitor stable" (your ship never completely drains it's capacitor even when every module is turned on and in use) you'll never regen your own energy faster than you are using it in a fight, so the energy level in your capacitor will still drop, but with a vampire it will drop at a slower rate, which means you can use energy hungry modules for longer. That could make the difference between having enough time to break through the tank on the NPC's ship before they break through yours. If your ship is capacitor stable then you don't need a vampire, because your modules will never cause your capacitor to run dry (unless your capacitor is being neuted). One extra detail is that vampire modules do not disrupt repairers, only neutralisers can disrupt a repairer.

If you use a vampire on a player owned ship, it will drain their capacitor energy, as long as their capacitor percentage is higher than yours.

2. Rusty X5

Rusty X5 Member

haha..why u say that? our corp only been in the alliance for a month or so..i dont mind them

3. madjack

madjack Member

its hard not to feel a little sorry for any group thats buds with TISHU, you know the dramabomb is coming, dont get me wrong its hilarious when it does but its either failcascade or popcorn.jpg.

has it happened yet or?

4. Rusty X5

Rusty X5 Member

HAHA..fair enough, yer dw our corp had alot of history with TISHU also...sum members werent keen for the move to OE, but we needed content. As for OE and TISHU...there sumtimes alittle drama, but nothing major (i dont log in much though) but if shit happens our leadership handles it swiftly. Most of the douches in TISHU leadership were either banned or left the game, i think their leadership ok atm, but like every alliance, always a few line members that sometime get out of line with their shit and e-peen.

5. hotsuma

hotsuma Member

thanks

honestly ive just not been playing waiting to unlock tier 2 rockets , they should be ready this weekend and ill give it another go
    it was mostly his armour tank that was hard to eat through so additional damage should help

shrug the only way to win is not to play

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  6. hotsuma

hotsuma Member

Yay got tier 2 launchers and took out kristan parthus, couple fights later ran into the kill dagan mission man that took some damage i had to look up his resistances and go and buy different rockets and change some stuff around to eat through his bloody shield regeneration

almost ran out of rockets , took about 4 reloads to get him. I get the feeling in the next mission or two ill run into one you actually cant solo easily.

7. GarethB

GarethB Member

If you've beaten Dagan then there is only one mission left in the Sisters arc. The final mission is a cakewalk compared to Dagan.

8. hotsuma

hotsuma Member

yeah i finished , now i need to find something fun to do, guess i can keep doing a few missions and such

lol i was talking to the top bounty hunter the other day to see if any groups do that and apparently its not really a thing in this game, or not something any groups focus on.

for now ive been looking at good frigate fit's and getting all the skills for them, i might try and do a bit of ratting , not that i really need the isk but guess its something to do, i need to fix up my interface and learn to dscan properly too

9. eyeLikeCarrots

eyeLikeCarrots Member

I subbed again...... after a year away.

I FUCKING LOVE the new training queue..... main now has 60 something days of skills to chew through while I'm visiting Falklands, Argentina and sailing across the Atlantic ocean.

10. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

We're currently looking for more peeps gearing up for Fozziesov if anyone's looking for a new corp, currently living in Placid and roaming/op in Cloud Ring. Hit up Anzacpaul in game if you're keen. :thumbup:

11. damnation

damnation Member

I love this game so much, I just wish this game was less about skills and more about skill! oh and not fixing stuff that needs fixing, and instead introduction 6 monthly expansions with new broken features.

However sexy eve is...

12. Rusty X5

Rusty X5 Member

I let all my 3 accounts expire...ill join you guys one day (still all shit sitting at halfpoint from osti)...eve just so boring for the AUTZ...pay $15 a month for maybe 1 hour of 'guaranteed content'. I see you guys got a nice little fight the other day against goons and friends...but the rest of the KB looks fairly lackluster.

But like they say..eve is what you make of it, maybe im a tad too passive and too lasy to 'find content' i spose but if i was active during EU/US TZ the game would be alot more exciting and be much easier to find that 'content'. The saddest thing is i played alot for the first 18 months when I started in 09 but didnt have the SP is do much...now that I do have plenty of SP..now basically if I log in I cant use it :(

13. GarethB

GarethB Member

For those who might be interested. HERO coalition is in the process if disbanding and BRAVE is pulling out of null to return to lowsec. I don't know what the non-BRAVE corps in HERO are planning to do.

14. Hom3br3w

Hom3br3w Member

Having fun playing with Fweddit and Brave?

15. madjack

madjack Member

hey TN-T was a good fight

16. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Eve Online VR Video - The Ships and Factions of New Eden
    Best viewed on a Tablet, Smartphone or VR viewer you can sit inside the Eve universe and rotate the camera to view the surroundings in any direction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tctGKL5RO_U

17. AusTerror

AusTerror Member

Are we allowed to advertise for recruitment in this thread or sub-forum?

I had a quick look around and didn't see anything about it.

18. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Anyone playing still? We've just joined Snuff. Living in low sec sucks balls but getting some gf with SC and ganking the local militia.

19. Rusty X5

Rusty X5 Member

Im still unsubbed...and with talks about the new captial changes I still see no point of returning...let alone carry on with the usual lack of AUTZ content.

How you been anyway bud?..anyone in the AUTZ still logging in? How the placid/cloud ring trip go?

20. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Was good for a bit, i much prefer null sec. Good to have our own space, but having such a small alliance trying to hold multiple systems, and goons etc trolling entosis all the time got too much.

Cap changes actually don't sound too bad. I barely use my super these days so hoping things will change with that. Making isk is what sucks in low sec though.

Good things about low sec is there's another aussie corp (dropbears) not far from us and Calmil/Galmil so plenty of ganking in the sites.