Evercade - retro handheld console

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Rass, Feb 1, 2020.

1. Rass

Rass Member

So I just saw this on Metal Jesus Rocks youtube channel, where he did a review of a pre-release version.

Looks to be a pretty decent and fully licensed retro console which has it's own screen and can plug into a TV. Smaller than a Nintendo Switch, and uses cartridges.

Metal Jesus' review:

https://evercade.co.uk

Doesn't look too bad. It is emulated, but they seem to have done a lot of optimising and tweaking. Most, if not all the titles are from consoles rather than arcade machines.

Due out in April.

Not sure if I'll pick one up.

2. power

power Member

emulation consoles are imo a dead end - FPGA is the future for retro, the only upcoming machine that interests me is the Pocket from Analogue.

https://www.analogue.co/pocket/

greencamel65 likes this.
  3. dexster

dexster Member

fail to see the appeal in playing handheld games...
    so much better to play gameboy and gameboy advance on a tv via a snes/gamecube

getting back on topic to the op;
    it really depends on what the price is and how much you enjoy playing a handheld machine but my advice is not to worry about it.

if handheld gaming is your thing, just get the best; ie analogue pocket (as power mentioned)
    and add a pinch of salt to whatever metaljesus recommends

4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Respectfully disagree. There are some very competent emulation options out there that are a fraction of the price of FPGA options.

While FPGA has emulation beat on the latency front hands down, emulation is mature, has great options like save states and rewind, and can run on very cost effective hardware.

I don't doubt that FPGA is the technology of the future for retro enthusiasts. But emulation has its place, and still offers some real world fun depending on what type of games you want to play.

5. power

power Member

i personally don't see myself investing in any more emulation options i guess.

6. oculi

oculi Member

no thanks, my neck has only just recovered from playing the atari lynx 70 years ago, they should make it cast to TV though latency may be an issue. Or you could always have the controller connect wirelessly to some kind of box that plugs into the TV I guess.

7. elvis

Still playing GBA on my lunch break at work. Catching up on Aria of Sorrow.

I totally respect that for almost all 2D gaming options (I can think of a few exceptions).

With that said, I think emulation will actually be a superior option for 3D. N64, PSX, Wii and PS2 3D titles, for example, are frequently better experiences when emulated. Higher frame rates, clearer visuals, scaled textures, and almost no noticeable lag due to how the haves were designed. As time goes on, I expect that to scale to many more 3D games, even if cycle accurate FPGA catches up.

I don't subscribe at all to this recent anti-emulation trend sweeping retrogaming. Everything has a place, and options are good. Emulation offers us things FPGA never can (look at Higan's high Res mode7, or RetroArch's runahead emulation that can exceed hardware and FPGA latency minimums in poorly coded games). There's still a whole load of value left in this tech, and while newer options are fantastic and welcome, they are merely further options, never complete replacements. The more, the merrier.

8. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

I don't see (a) why they're bothering with cartridges at all, and (b) why "unique cartridges" is a feature worth advertising.

I suspect that if you took every game for every console that this can emulate, you'd come up with a total size well under 100MB - so you might as well skip the cartridges (with all the complexity and cost that comes with them) and just download games to internal flash.

Unique cartridges seems like a disadvantage. Essentially "if this thing flops, there won't be any other sources for games because nobody else can get these cartridges". Wouldn't it have been nicer to make it compatible with Gameboy cartridges (as the Analogue Pocket is)?

9. elvis

They're attempting to hit the nostalgia nerve.

And I suspect that like the Capcom arcade stick, weeks the intention may be good, it'll be a dating and a miss because it's looking at the wrong bit of the nostalgia spectrum.