evernote hacked

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by fR33z3, Mar 3, 2013.

1. fR33z3

fR33z3 Member

Summarized from the evernote website:- http://evernote.com/corp/news/password_reset.php

Its up on all the major news sites as well - slashdot etc. As a pretty big user of evernote, its good to know that basic steps such salted hashes are used. But its also interesting to see this particular comment:

I read that as "Look at sony, xbox etc - everyone loses their password database once in a while".

What do you all think?

2. atech

atech Member

Change your password.

3. Urizha

Urizha Member

Has made me want to switch to sometime more private. I have a small list of txt/html files that I'd like access to on my home PC and Android mobile.
    My modem at home is capable of running a FTP server with a USB drive as storage.
    Currently looking into a basic Notepad app (with encryption) but it's difficult to fine one that isn't cloud based. Only solution so far that I've found combines three programs... Notepad app, FTP sync app, File encrypt/decrypt app.

4. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

It's just PR spin, not so much 'a look at them' but a 'it's not just us'. I'd be happy that they seem to have taken immediate steps to protect user accounts rather then sitting on it and pretending nothing happened.

5. luke o

luke o Member

I reset my password, asked me to when I logged in today.

6. KriiV

KriiV Member

I think they've done the right thing. Immediate action that secures peoples accounts.

As for the actual hack it seems stealing a password database is becoming the most common way of either ruining a companies reputation or simply showing hacking power. Can't they get creative? :confused::weirdo::lol:

7. tin

tin Member

When the Chinese government is the one paying the bills, they just do as they're told.
    Now if it was the North Koreans... They'd put on a show for us all with singing and dancing and revolutionary chanting. If only they actually owned some computers over there.