EverQuest Next

Discussion in 'MMOs' started by BuZeR, Jul 30, 2013.

1. BuZeR

BuZeR Member

UPDATED JAN2014

EverQuest Next is a MMORPG following on in the spirit on the EQ universe. It is descriped as a; "...complete reimagining of the EverQuest Franchise. Old friends and enemies will appear, but they may not be who you remember. With 10,000 years of explorable history buried beneath its surface and a future you will shape, this is your Norrath."

There will also be a similar title releasing prior to EverQuest next called EverQuest Landmark. This will be a sandbox building simulator to help develop content and extra detail to EverQuest Next. EverQuest Next Landmark will be free-to-play and is descried as "...a world where you can design and make anything you can imagine! Objects and buildings that players construct may be featured in EverQuest Next".

The biggest thing to note is that Sony have openly stated the following in regards to these two different reincarnations of the one game:

In relation to pre-order and in-game items;
    EverQuest Next Landmark granting EQNext testing access:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  2. OP
    OP
    BuZeR

BuZeR Member

Seems the media event has come and gone. The things of note where;

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidewalt/2013/08/02/everquests-next-landmark/

Beta signups are at this link if you are interested; https://www.everquestnext.com/beta-registration

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  3. unbridledenthus

unbridledenthus Member

Wow ... Huge potential

4. Draeve

Draeve (Banned or Deleted)

Really looking forward to seeing more about this!

I really like the way that the movement of the Kerran give the feeling of weight compared to the Human wizard.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  5. WRC

WRC Member

Curious how the destructibility is going to work.

What's going to stop the landscape looking like the moon once a thousand players have been through a zone?

6. OP
    OP
    BuZeR

BuZeR Member

I was thinking the same, not 100% sure they even know yet. Though it has been stated that cultural zones and landmarks will not be destructible.

Also if everyone can build things, you think it will just turn into SWtoR and be covered with ghost towns from non-active players?

7. Draeve

Apparently the world begins to heal after approximately 5mins although that time can vary, as can the time until the world is fully healed back to new.

Also, crafting resources will be mined from normal terrain, ie. wood from trees, stone from cliffs etc, not nodes.

8. OP
    OP
    BuZeR

BuZeR Member

ahh that makes sense. So more of a gimmick then effects on the world. Not that thats a bad thing, if it was permanent the whole world would just be stuffed.

Also read that they will allow you to dig down levels into dungeons and the like?

9. Draeve

Yeah I've read the same. It would make things interesting in raid encounters, using he environment as cover etc.

10. WRX_STi

WRX_STi Member

Signed up for beta, whilst i doubt i will get an invite (who knows what the selection process is?) i think this could be an incredible game. SOE are in my opinion very good.

11. Draeve

They have stated that there will be 8 skills equipped at a time, 4 based on class and 4 based in equipped weapon. This is similar to the system used in GW2.

They have also stated that it is being developed for PC, with console playability in the future. This seems to be the way that a lot of new mmo's and online games are going lately, I believe Elder Scrolls Online will have console play also?

12. SmEaGoLLuM!

SmEaGoLLuM! Member

Was at a mate's place and caught a bit of the stream/panels. As a long time player of SOE mmos since the original EQ I know when it comes to SOE don't buy too much into the hype.

With EQN they did borrow many good elements from other games/genres but no totally new never before seen ideas as they've been preaching. The most impressive thing is still the voxel Forgelight engine which is amazing, as seen since PS2. Also during the panels I heard something which indicated only being allowed 4 abilities at a time which sort of signifies a future console movement and a more dumbed down experience with a more arcadey/action based style of game. Think Diablo 3. Also certain things indicated PvP will prob not be launched with the game and be included later, as EQ was never PvP focused. They did not reveal any of the UI cos that is the biggest indicator of a console focused game. Don't get me wrong, I do hope the game will be the next big breakthrough in mmos. Will see.

13. yoda123

yoda123 Member

i will be keeping an eye on this, as an avid EQ player in the past.

Signed up my 8 SOE accounts for beta :lol:

14. OP
    OP
    BuZeR

BuZeR Member

Though there is a sense of irony in these new 'features' seeming how Sonys major rival for Everquest was UltimaOnline.

Now Everquest Next boasts a classless skill system, player housing and more freedom. Hopefully they also take some of the idea's from the crafting system from UO. I hope they manage to capture the parts from each game (EQ/UO) that so enthralled my younger years and combine them into one shiny package. Though this is Sony, they have always been very hit and miss..

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  15. Buriedpast

Buriedpast Member

Really surprised the wow thread has 10mil replies of wankers arguing pandas on the moon or some shit and people aren't going bananas over this.

EQ was the original, the most punishing, and remains still very much alive on EMU's (live eq is gay as wow).

Hoping and praying they make an eq for our generation, not wow kids. Dark nights, proper punishment for death, a chance to lose hours and hours, or days of work for a mistake, and near useless solo play. God I can't stand the current MMOSPRPG. Single player mmo's are retarded. I keep in touch with a dozen guys at least from eq from1999 onwards. I don't even remember any single person from wow. Played both endgame for 6 years each.

The graphics already seem too Pixar for me, but the gameplay has massive potential. Add a huge stream of unchecked ability like eq did originally for creative players to use and it will be a game changer. Very scared its bordering on another modern wow clone_009.

16. WRC

WRC Member

I can't say I'm a fan of the art direction they've taken from what I've seen so far. It looks very WoWesque.

I hope they make the game harder than recent offerings, but they also need to slow the pace down. That's why EQ had such a strong community. If you got in a group the downtime whilst casters were medding meant you ended up chatting. Just doesn't happen as much in more recent MMOs.

Good to hear they are making it more of a sandbox. The linear gameplay style that WoW has made the dominant model in MMOs has had its day.

17. Buriedpast

Buriedpast Member

18. OldnBold

OldnBold Member

Correct statement .. wait and see from me :thumbup:

19. Franc

Franc Member

Most of the points I agree with barring soloing. I reckon soloing should be able to be done, just that it should be harder than grouping and less rewarding, not everyone wants to spend all their time in groups all the time, and sometimes its good to do your own thing.

20. WRC

WRC Member

It's a myth that you couldn't solo in EQ anyway. I played a wizard in EQ and once you got your AOE snare and your AOE nukes it was party time. Group experience was only marginally faster out in the open. In dungeons it was a different story of course.

Not as good as Bards though. They were insane soloers if you could twist well.