Ex-mining GPU keeps locking its core/memory clocks to idle speeds

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by Zephyraeon, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Zephyraeon

Zephyraeon New Member

My partner's GPU has started acting up and haven't been able to find a solution short of replacing it.

Specs:
    MSI B360 Gaming Pro Carbon
    2x 8GB G.Skill Trident Z (3000MHz)
    Intel i7-8700T
    Coolermaster ML240R
    Gigabyte Aorus RX580 8GB
    EVGA G3 650W 80+ Gold

I bought the RX580 about 4 months ago and it was almost a year old at that point according to the seller. The seller told me that it had been mined on but that it had been reflashed to default settings.

When I install the drivers, it runs as expected for a few boot cycles until it locks the core and memory clocks to 300MHz (the speeds it runs at when idle). I can't use MSI Afterburner to overclock to break out of these locked clock speeds, the only way I've found to fix it is to reinstall the drivers again and then it works for a few more boot cycles.

I've updated the RX580 drivers to the most recent ones today after it happened again, and have previously tried using an older version to see if that solves the problem but haven't had any luck.

Any idea how to stop this from happening? Any suggestions are appreciated!

2. FOTW

FOTW Member

3. OP
    OP
    Zephyraeon

Zephyraeon New Member

Thanks for your help - I tried this and it lasted a couple extra boot cycles but it’s reverted to being locked at the low clock speeds again. Am I out of luck?

4. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

It's the drivers.

It's really annoying to fix, but you basically have to completely remove them and ALL modifying software.
    Afterburner had something to do with it too. It's been a year since I dealt with this so my memory is fuzzy.

Then ONLY install the drivers.

But it's not a hardware issue. It's entirely software.

It's very common.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rx+570+stuck+at+300+mhz

5. 426

426 Member

I had an issue with a 570 that at factory OC settings was flakey, crashed constantly.
    Turns out the "factory" overclock was a bit too aggressive (1310mhz vs 1244 default on a different brand 570).
    Just set the speed to 1300 and had no other issue since (still using this card in a system).

6. Xenon

Xenon Shīrāzī

Download, install DDU & use it to compltely remove all traces of the driver from your system. Restart system, install the driver of your choice and see how you go.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

With 2nd-hand GPU's (specifically ex mining units) I always look to refresh the thermal paste. Every single unit I've handled had dried out, crumbly compound leading to erratic temp fluctuations when placed under load.

A good way to check is to download & run Furmark before & after thermal compound refresh. The graph below (~5 minute Furmark run) showing the GPU (1070Ti) reaching max temp 2+ minutes after being placed under load, producing a nice curve.

Click to view full size!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019