Excel PC

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by Alqemist, May 9, 2012.

1. s.Neo

s.Neo Member

2. chip

chip Member

^^^ That might be helpful.
    Pretty sure the point was that MS SQL Server Express doesn't cost anything, whereas Access does. So if you're using connecting Excel to a data source via ODBC or whatever, Access as an SQL source doesn't make sense when assessed by a cost criterion.

Although if the OP is doing work at a Uni then the Uni probably has a site license for MS Office, negating the cost part of it.

I just spent a few minutes populating an Access table with a couple of thousand rows, each with a time value and currency value, and then created an Excel spreadsheet that sourced its data from an Access DB. If your data are in a simple spreadsheet with just a date column and a price column, it'd be easy to create a single table DB in access, and import the values from your spreadsheets

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  3. OP
    OP
    Alqemist

Alqemist Member

Pretty sure its CPU, as the CPU load is at 100%, and the excel task bar says "calulating 1%, 2%....). Ram use is 2GB/16GB.

I am convinced that to improve performance I need to change my database system, but I am unable to work out how to bring data from access into excel! its bloody impossible!

4. chip

chip Member

On Windows 7, you can use the Resource Monitor and Performance Monitor to find out where the bottleneck is. For example, in the Disk tab of resmon you will find a value for disk queue - watch that when you open up one of your large excel files, and then watch the value when it's finished loading and you're working. I'll bet the disk queue is well below 1 for pretty much the whole time after Excel's finished loading, given your RAM use.

See, I read the same thing, knowing that excel loads files into RAM and is shit at handling lots of rows of data, and didn't instantly assume that disk IO is the bottleneck. If I were to start suggesting buying new hardware, I'd also provide a way to test the assumptions behind that suggestion first.

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  5. mwd

mwd Member

I've used PHP/MySQL before. You can use PHP to connect to access and then dump the data into mysql. Or you should be able to export to CSV or something and then dump into a database.