Excuse me, can you take a photo of me?

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by maldotcom2, Jan 29, 2018.

1. maldotcom2

maldotcom2 Member

So following a recent trip overseas with my EM-1, every time I asked a passerby to take a photo for me, they had difficulty with my autofocus instructions. Everything is setup, and all they had to do is focus on me (Not the background!) and press the shutter. I even set a small aperture so when they inevitably focus on something else I can possibly salvage the photo as a low-res facebook snap.

I've tried two methods, one is having centre zone autofocus enabled meaning they have to focus on me, then drag and frame the photo. However this proved too difficult for iPhone photographers. I then tried the screen-touch autofocus-and-shutter function on the EM-1, where you just frame the photo then touch the LCD where you want the focus and it takes the shot. "Just tap on my face, that's it." Very similar to smart phone photography, but again 4 out of 5 people were still bamboozled, resulting in me having to walk over and explain it again.

I don't expect perfect framing and composition from a passerby but for god's sake it was like working with a special needs class the entire trip. How do you setup your camera so that a random can take a photo of you?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  2. glimmerman

glimmerman Member

I think what you have done is about as good as you can get - especially touch to focus.

3. Hater

Hater Member

Set it to manual focus and tell them where to stand?

Deckham and n2o_spark like this.
  4. redav

redav Member

Did you find they also framed your head in the middle of the photo? :lol: I love that gem

Pinkeh likes this.
  5. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

i generally set to auto mode or face detection - generally works

hlokk likes this.
  6. oculi

oculi Member

You need a selfie stick!

7. n2o_spark

n2o_spark Member

I take a tripod and remote. Now I have a Wifi enabled camera i can use my mobile to make sure I'm standing in the right spot

8. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

I am another for Face detect and auto mode. In fact I usually have Custom Function 2 set to full auto with face detect on and use all focus points. If you can't take a photo of me with me in focus with that, you should not hold my camera, 'So give it back'.... lol

lonewolf1983 likes this.
  9. Revenge

Revenge Member

The average person is a dribbling idiot...
    which naturally means half the population is worse again...
    Generally i am thankful if I get my equipment handed back to me without it getting dropped.

die_piggy, RJ_Wilson and Pinkeh like this.
  10. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

I have seen people on tours screw up a picture with the camera on fully automatic.

11. xsilver

xsilver Member

Conversely Ive been the person on the opposite end a few times walking around with my full frame and someone with a 550d +kit lens asks me and still tries to explain how to use their camera.

Stand back bro - I got this. haha

My advice is to find the right person - easier said than done; and also its not always the person taking pictures using their phone. Sometimes picking the oldest person you can find has good results

lionman likes this.
  12. SyN

SyN Member

well then the camera's not quite 'fully automatic' then..

Yeah I do that too, so they can't run off with my gear!