Exinda 2760 traffic management

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Luke212, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Luke212

Luke212 Member

http://www.optimizedwan.com.au/Exinda-2760.asp
    I am having pressure put on my internet relating to email,browsing,remote desktop, voip, teleconferencing going through one (large) pipe. Does anyone have experience with these traffic management boxes and do they help manage aggressive applications? The boxes are around $4k. Are there cheaper alternatives? I believe they sit behind the NAT which is pretty boss. Most cheap ones dont allow this.

I was thinking it might be cheaper to roll a linux box or windows box to do this role. But I have no experience in this regard. Would this be difficult to set up a PC? and is it performant? Can you please provide links relating to traffic management through a PC to steer me in the right direction?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  2. caspian

caspian Member

surely upping the bandwidth of the link would go close to being comparable?

3. OP
    OP
    Luke212

Luke212 Member

to some extend mate. a few people on youtube can flood most connections. we got cisco routers but the qos is just upstream as usual.

just looking for some options without spending another 1k/month on internet.

4. caspian

caspian Member

so ban youtube. is there a business justification for it? you're looking at dropping thousands, possibly to stop something people shouldn't be doing preventing genuine business taking place.

5. Rass

Rass Member

Bear in mind that a bunch of it's value will only come about *if* paired with another unit - eg a branch optimiser and a head office optimiser talking to each other.

The traffic shaping/prioritisation side of things can be done cheaper with a linux box, proxy or decent routers onsite.

6. dru16

dru16 Member

Hey

whats the topology that you need this to go into? you using MPLS, ATM etc..

Dru

7. darken_rahl

darken_rahl Member

Good thread. I'll be interested to see what you come up with. I've known people to use Exinda boxes largely for seeing the rogue connections, more than the throttling

Can something like this actually help throttle downloads better than QoS can?

8. CordlezToaster

CordlezToaster Member