Experience with Barrow CPU blocks

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by BiggusDickus, Feb 10, 2018.

1. BiggusDickus

BiggusDickus Member

Looking to build a custom loop on a budget for my Ryzen build. I've managed to source most of my components on the cheap by buying 2nd hand, but haven't had much luck finding a CPU block.

Was wondering if anyone had had any experience with the following blocks by Barrow which are priced quite well on AliExpress. I've read positive things about their fittings but there's not much information out there on the CPU blocks.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bar...-for-AMD-FM1-FM2-AM2-AM3-AM4/32807660534.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bar...for-AMD-Ryzen-AM3-AM4-LTYK3A/32823429252.html

Any tips would be appreciated...

2. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I've had nothing but good experiences with barrow fittings. I have no clue about the blocks though. I personally would think its worth a go.
    I have an AM4 Raystorm Pro I'm not using, but I'd want a lot more than the new price of those blocks. Buy one and do a review :thumbup:

I'm sure plenty of people would be interested in how well it goes.

3. OP
    OP
    BiggusDickus

BiggusDickus Member

Ok, have pulled the trigger on the clear acrylic version and will let you know how it goes.

4. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

need a cheap AM4 block myself - gonna give this a go too :)

5. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Awesome !! Someone has to do the testing :thumbup:

6. OP
    OP
    BiggusDickus

BiggusDickus Member

Just be aware that different sellers offer different posting options. The free postage is described as taking 24-49 days, which is practically forever. I found the best postage option was "eParcel", which was around $7-8 for a delivery time of 14-21 days. Both models (black and clear) can be found with this postage option if you look through all the sellers (try searching "AM4 barrow" to get a list).

7. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

Ive got barrow blocks on 2 x of my MSI 1080ti gaming x and they do a good job, with no issues so far -- though they are a copy of the EK blocks.

I also have a barrrow 360mm rad and barrow fittings in the same loop and cant fault them.

8. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

Curious to see how this goes. Adding more and more water cooling parts to my stash. And the barrow stuff seems really competitive. Especially the fittings sub $5 instead of over $10 for a big brand. Yes please.

9. Zee

Zee Member

Colour me curious...

Z...

10. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I have heaps of the Barrow fittings, they are the same thing as Bitspower in my book. Highly recommended. I'm interested to see how this water block turns out :)

11. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

Just looking at their hardline kit, you get alot of stuff for the price. Good way to get started.

Barrow kit from aliexpress

Doesnt include AM4 but still for the money its hard to argue. And its not like the EK aluminium kit which is awesome, but limits you to EK's lineup. At least with the barrow stuff you can mix and match as you like.

12. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

Hey I noticed in this thread you tried out the bykski stuff. Old thread here

How did you go with that? considering a ram block from them for the LOL's barrow has one too, but its a 4dimm block and I was thinking of going mitx for my main build so limited to 2 dimms and the bykski ram block is 2 dimm.

13. OP
    OP
    BiggusDickus

BiggusDickus Member

It's been almost a month and it hasn't arrived yet :-(

14. havabeer

havabeer Member

its coming from china, its gonna take a month or more. there was another thread somewhere a guy purchased chinese barrow fittings. it was 1 - 2 months estimated delivery on ebay

15. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

if buying from aliexpress you should generally upgrade the shipping to at least the e-packet.

16. OP
    OP
    BiggusDickus

BiggusDickus Member

Yep, this is the option I chose. I gave the same advice above earlier in the thread. It's supposed to be 14-21 days!

17. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Rubber seal popped. Watch out.

18. OP
    OP
    BiggusDickus

BiggusDickus Member

Can you elaborate?

19. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

I'd love to hear more about this issue. Did the O-ring split and fail? did it not seal properly to begin with? did the block crack? etc etc.

20. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

I tried one of the older socket ones years ago but its practically made by the same company where it came from (could be OEM) and looked similar to the one in that Aliexpress link. These blocks also float on ebay for under $50 shipped from HK or China and yeah, the rubber seal underneath the top cover cracked along the edges and I killed an AM3 board in the process. Good thing it was a test board that I used to flush out the W/C setup and wasn't one of my main rigs.