Experienced loop builders HELP needed for my first !!

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by Jody Hodgson, Feb 18, 2019.

1. juzz86

juzz86 Member

I'm the opposite to these guys actually - I don't monitor component temps, just coolant. Just different ways to tackle the same problem. My coolant goes up to 33C in Conan Exiles, I know my shit is working.

I do it this way because my case has an onboard temp header and display for one channel, and I was sick of running Afterburner in the background for everything (in addition to CAM for the cooling/lights). So I plumbed it into a temp plug and set the CPU_FAN header to monitor pump RPM. Pump drops out - CPU FAN alarm sounds and shuts her down. Coolant doesn't spike while gaming - got an issue along the line somewhere.

More than one way to skin the cat, pick whatever route you feel most comfortable with - the sagest advice here is definitely to 'keep it simple, stupid' :thumbup:

mad_mic3 and Jody Hodgson like this.
  2. OP
    OP
    Jody Hodgson

Jody Hodgson Member

So what are you using as a sensor to detect the water temp??

My mb has pump and temp headers??

3. radeon_freak

radeon_freak Member

Jody Hodgson likes this.
  4. juzz86

juzz86 Member

My case (EVGA DG-87) has a single temp sensor and an LCD readout on the front. It's designed to report a case temp, I just cut the original probe and soldered a 1/4" stop plug with a thermocouple (first link in R_Fs post above) onto it.

You could achieve the same with a temp header on the motherboard, reporting to whatever software you decide to use.

Jody Hodgson likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Jody Hodgson

Jody Hodgson Member

Ok all my loop stuff is ordered and I have bitten the bullet on 16mm Acrylic I am going to try some bends and give it a red hot go LOL. THanks for all the help this far and wish me luck I will report back with issues slash successes :)

radeon_freak and juzz86 like this.
  6. Kaine[zof]

Kaine[zof] Member

Good luck man, holy hell that is a lot of radiator. Sounds like it's gonna be tight, but we don't do this hobby cause it's easy, right? Highly back the tips about monitoring pump RPM on a motherboard header and configuring for alarm & shutdown on fail. Most high end boards should allow you to configure this in bios and possibly run your pump straight off a fan header, I recommend doing this if you can, makes life nice and simple.

GL, have fun, post pics.

7. OP
    OP
    Jody Hodgson

Jody Hodgson Member

I have it built just have had to go away with work for a few weeks will post pix etc when I get home

8. Pazzu

Pazzu Member

Can't wait to see pics!

I prefer to use loop temps as I control my fans via the coolant temp. I run my rads passive when cool, and having the fans spin up everytime when the CPU temp spikes just doesn't flow with me.
    It is even more imperative since I'm running dual loops.

It all boils down to what you are aiming for, my builds are silenced focused. Just my 2 cents

Jody Hodgson likes this.