Experiments with sous-vide cooking

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Amfibius, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Turnip Dude

Turnip Dude Member

I've had the Anova (bluetooth version) for over a year now and it's a great unit, highly recommended. Now I'm a gadget nerd and I thought having an app on my phone would be great, but the day to day reality is that the controls on the Anova front panel are absolutely perfect, and way less effort than using the app, so I would be very wary of anything that doesn't have physical controls and feedback.

2. Turnip Dude

Turnip Dude Member

That there's most likely your problem. A vacuum sealer with decent bags is a sound investment in any kitchen, and not just for sous vide, and they're not expensive if you get a Luvelo from eBay. Quality product with fantastic after-sale service, if you need it.

3. yanman

yanman Member

Thanks for the tip. So they're a decent product? Seems pretty cheap even compared to the Kogan offering.

Is there much difference between the models?

Equipe (110W) vs Turbo (120W) vs Deluxe (170W)

4. Anakist

Anakist Member

Don't worry about heating power. Whether it takes 10s or 12s to seal the bag is not a big deal. Vac power and no plastic in the jaws are where it is at. Biggest issue I have with my sealer is it overheats and the thermal safety comes on meaning I can't use it. There is an (Italian?) brand that specifically says it has a ceramic jaw backing that means it holds the heat in an is better the more you use it.

James

5. Stonewall

Stonewall Member

I have done a chuck "eye" roast at 60 degrees

6. Turnip Dude

Turnip Dude Member

I've had the basic Luvelo for a few years now, it's a workhorse. Only problem I ever had it was my fault completely, I was storing it clamped shut, which I found out ruins the foam seals. One email to Luvelo support later, and a new set of seals was in the mail the next day for only $10, amazing service. Mind you I only seal 4 bags or less (both ends) at a time, so I can't comment on overheating from larger quantities.

These are the bags I use with it: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111439730311?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

7. Narcoticx2

Narcoticx2 Member

I use a sunbeam foodsaver VS4300, and it doesn't have any issues with overheating. I typically double seal all my bags (incidentally also using the same as Turnip Dude), and have done large batches at once (think 4 seals per bag, 6-8 bags).

I love it.

Having pork ribs tonight - 12hrs at 74C overnight last night, ice bath this morning and in the fridge ready to baste and grill. Done it before, definitely recommend it.

8. Turnip Dude

Turnip Dude Member

I went to an ABN-only wholesaler over the weekend (for the first time) and picked up a tube of what said 'Scotch' on the label for AU$20. I'm not familiar with such things, so please forgive my naiveté, but it looked like a good deal. Took it home, cut it into 6 x 3cm thick slices, and vacuumed sealed them.

According to various websites, 56c for 2-4 hours is good for Scotch fillet, so I gave it 3 hours, set the smoke alarm off getting the crust (seriously, if the smoke alarm doesn't go off, your pan's not hot enough), but the result was inedible - tough and chewy. Punch it, chewy.

I'll try the next one at 56c for 8 hours. But I have questions I hope y'all can help with:
    1) Is bulk meat labeled 'Scotch' actually Scotch Fillet? Is the label stating what the butcher was drinking when he mislabeled a chuck roast?
    b) Is bulk-buy beef from a catering wholesaler a suitable candidate for a culinary technique like sous-vide?
    iii) I cancelled my Oculus Rift and ordered an HTC Vive instead. Hah! That will show them.

9. Narcoticx2

Narcoticx2 Member

What? Chewy and tough? Smoke alarms?

How long did your sear go for? I tend to get a nice porterhouse, trim the fat and cook for 2 hours at 55c, then sear in a nice hot hot pan for all of 10 seconds per side. No more. Sure, the crust might not be black but it's enough for flavour and I don't overcook the meat...

10. vellanet

vellanet Member

Where are people getting vacuum bags from? The rolls I got with my vacuum sealer have stacks of creases in them that cause leaks, nigh on unusable...

11. Simonk83

Simonk83 Member

Hi all,

Bought myself an Anova and I'll likely pick up an appropriately sized Esky to use with it, along with some Ziploc freezer bags.

I'll probably give some Rump a go for my first attempt I think, just wondering if anyone has any tips there? At this stage I'll probably do it at 56C/133F for around 3 hours (my wife is pregnant so I'm being extra cautious with the pasteurisation ;)). Very much looking forward to trying it on the weekend!

12. Anakist

Anakist Member

Go Chuck or something other than rump. Rump goes dry and stringy too easily.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Information/MeatTemperatureChart.htm

Cook it to the desired temperature, then sear it on a BBQ as hot as you can. Try and keep the time around 1 or 2 hours. I have done rump and rib fillet for longer cooks (around 4 hours-ish) and the results were always disappointing.

James

13. Simonk83

Simonk83 Member

I'm actually just going to go all out and do this: https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/perfect-every-time-center-cut-tenderloin-roast

I've just tried a couple of fillet steaks (only small thin ones mind) and they were delicious, so I'll pull out the big guns tomorrow :)

14. phantom220

phantom220 Member

I think it could be finally time to get around the magic that is sous-vide.

What's the going recommendation for a circulator at the moment? Anova?

15. woja

woja Member

https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/3-pack-food-vacuum-sealer-rolls-28cm-x-5m/

I got these after I finished the rolls that came with my Sunbeam VAC780
    Seem to work well without too much fuss.
    Haven't had one break or spring a leak and seals just as well as the OEM ones plus it's nice and cheap.

16. Simonk83

Simonk83 Member

It was amazing ;)

Quick (dumb) question, how do you open the lid to check on evaporation (or is there none and you just don't)?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2016
  17. neRok

neRok Member

Where's it going to evaporate to if it's sealed? ;)

18. vellanet

vellanet Member

Hmm, they're the ones I'm having problems with, maybe its just my pack of 3 thats are screwy

19. Simonk83

Simonk83 Member

Haha, good point. Duhhhh :D

20. twinhardballers

twinhardballers Member

Too rare is a pretty weird take on that steak. I normally do my eye fillets at 54.5 and my rib eyes at 54.8-55 and they all come out amazingly perfect medium rare. It is possible your definition of medium rare is more towards medium? I have done 2.5-3" thick rib eye on the bone at 54.7ish and it comes out amazing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also FWIW this is a 55.5C Eye Fillet:

[​IMG]

Do you have any photos of the label and maybe a photo of one of the steaks? I mean if they're saying "Scotch Whole" or something on the label it should be what it says. Either way if you're getting a whole scotch fillet (2-3kg?) for $20 you're either getting the deal of the century or the quality of the beef is going to be very average.

For your second point I would say no. From what I'm reading here it is like people are buying el cheapo cuts from their meat wholesalers and expecting them to be the same as an A grade black angus steak that a restaurant would be serving. Sous Vide is amazing for getting the best out of your steak with minimal effort, but I have done tests myself and there is only so much you can get out of a cheap steak. My recommendation is to try and get fewer steaks of higher quality, try the same process; and see if it comes out better.

Seems to me that the Anova is quite popular at the moment, however my friends and I all got in on the first wave with Sansaires. Mine works flawlessly so I can definitely recommend them if you can still get em, but I have also heard good things about the Anovas. You could also look into the Joule by Chefsteps but I'm not sure what the shipping is like for those to get to AU.