Experiments with sous-vide cooking

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Amfibius, Nov 17, 2010.

1. pugsley

pugsley Member

Aldi have a sous-vide cooker for sale next week. Only $120
    Reckon it's worth a shot?

2. broccoli

broccoli Member

why not, the price is cheap and they'll take it back if it's a dud, won't they?

3. pugsley

pugsley Member

Yeah I believe their return policy is pretty good.

4. broccoli

broccoli Member

I don't really understand the appeal of sous-vide, but for that price you could give it a go and send it to the op shop if you didn't like it/use it. It's not a huge outlay.

5. yanman

yanman Member

I gave brisket a go the other day after seeing some at the butchers already vac sealed :)

OMG.. now I understand why people call brisket the holy-grail of sous vide :)

I kind of followed some info from here:
    https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/smokerless-smoked-brisket

But without all the brining and glaze. I used some steak rub I'd made earlier and while it might have been a little drier than I'd like it was absolutely delicious.

65C for 24h, then 1h @ 150C oven after glazing it with coconut amnios then my steak rub.

The juice from the bag I reduced in a saucepan then added to whatever dripped off the meat in the oven cook. This makes an amazing fatty sauce.

I ate quite a bit as it came out of the oven (meat candy).. but to store it I sliced it, froze it, then revived it by wrapping in foil and putting in a sandwich press (flat kind). That way it doesn't dry out the meat anymore.

6. FoxMaN

FoxMaN Member

Went past aldi today and picked up one of the sous vide/slow cookers, a sealer and some extra bags.

I've been using a temp gauge switch with a rice cooker for the last 10-12 months and have had good results albeit with just chicken and steaks, looking forward to trying some ribs/brisket in the near future now that I have something slightly larger/better shaped.

Doing my first cook with it tonight, simple steak at 54 for an hour. Will report back!

So far the sealer works well :weirdo:
    [​IMG]

Aaaand it ended up alright!
    [​IMG]

Sorry for potato quality, I was hungry

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  7. mmBax

mmBax Member

Christ that looks good.

I've got a couple of nights coming up where I'm cooking for people. Salmon sous-vide will be one night, so easy to do.

But I think I might get my folks around and do an eye fillet for them. Eye fillet, baby carrots, horseradish cream. Some asparagus and beans, hell yes.

8. Narcoticx2

Narcoticx2 Member

Just be aware that salmon sous vide is great at 40-something degrees, which isn't hot, and if you're cooking for guests it might be a little off-putting.

I did ribs the other night, 74c for 12hrs, then finished under the grill, delicious

Pulled pork again, one of our staples, 71.2c for 24hrs, and got rave reviews. I love this thing.

9. Anakist

Anakist Member

I have always struggled to get a nicely done piece of salmon out of a water bath. Pretty sure we tried 47ish and it was still too well done at the end.

Easier and quicker just to fry it, but we both like the "set and not cooked" texture in the middle and the buttery hot sear flavour of the belly flap.

James

10. mmBax

mmBax Member

I think the first one I did was in an esky at hot water straight from the tap, which was around 50, and it was in there for maybe an hour just because of all the stuffing around I had to do that day.

It was still great, flakey and soft.

11. mmBax

mmBax Member

Well I did the chefsteps Can't F*ck it up Fried Chicken the other night.

White meat at 68 degrees for an hour and a half.
    Dark meat at 68 degrees for nearly 3 hours.

For the breading I used a KFC fake with lots of Herbs like Marjoram, Sage and Oregano, then just the usual Salt, Pepper, Paprika, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Cayenne. Then just a buttermilk dredge before dropping it into the flour and then into the oil

Probably a terribly large picture.
    [​IMG]

It really wasn't bad.
    Next time though, it needs a marinade of some sort. The chefsteps recipe relies on a brine forming in the sous-vide stage. But I think I'd go for a pickle juice brine or maybe even a bigger soak in some yoghurt/paprika/garlic/chilli mix or buttermilk.

Just served it with mashed potato and a gravy I made from a roux, so think roux, milk, and a chicken stock that I'd reduced heavily.

12. Simonk83

Simonk83 Member

13. mmBax

mmBax Member

Nice, I like the look of your breading more than mine. I foolishly double dipped thinking I'd get a hot and spicy type crunch. It was a little too doughy for my liking, so next time I'm keeping it simple with the one dip.

I much prefer chicken at the higher temp of 68/70, I tried the chicken breast a while ago at 65 and didn't like the lunch meat texture.

14. Simonk83

Simonk83 Member

The problem I had (I only did breast) was that the breading didn't stick to the chicken all that well. It was fine to look at, but had a tendency to slip off a bit when cutting. I guess that's a consequence of super juicy chicken. Not a bad trade off :)

Also, and I can't remember if the Chef Steps article mentions this, but it's something I got from Kenji at Serious Eats, it's good to put a spoonful of the wet mixture in with the flour mixture and mix it around a bit with your hands before you coat the chicken in it, as it tends to create a more uneven surface of batter and you get the yummo jagged bits sticking off.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  15. yanman

yanman Member

Got off my ass and ordered my food sealer finally :)

Luvele Deluxe - from eBay

First order will be some 1.5kg brisket's!

16. mmBax

mmBax Member

Enjoy that sealer! Mine is still going strong, have to order some new rolls soon actually.

I'm finding that I'm using mine to seal things more and more though. Plastic spice bag that I've used two teaspoons of, seal that puppy back up again.

Chip packets, frozen veg packets etc etc etc.

https://youtu.be/hy5GfIxrMJ4
    I saw that this morning, sous-vide bacon. Somebody give it a go so I don't have to do anything?

In that same light, I'm doing Christmas morning breakfast here this year. I was going to do all the eggs sous-vide and then just do bacon/sausages/hash browns and whatever else the traditional way. But chefsteps also did a hollandaise/eggs benny video the other day which would be awesome as well.

17. yanman

yanman Member

You mean using new bags when you say that tho right? Not sealing original packaging for spice bag etc?

18. broccoli

broccoli Member

I have an"el cheapo" bag resealer that you can use on store packaging, but you need the heavy plastic purpose bags to use in the vacuum sealers. You can keep resealing those as long as you've got enough length to fit in the machine (and dry ingredients inside).

19. yanman

yanman Member

oh nice... so i can't do that with the one i ordered? :/

20. broccoli

broccoli Member

Read your manual, but I doubt it. On mine, you can only use the "proper" vacuum sealing bags in the machine.