Experiments with sous-vide cooking

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Amfibius, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Narcoticx2

Narcoticx2 Member

I did a lamb for 22 hrs. It was just a small bone-in leg from woolies. Finished it over a fire in a bbq for about 10 minutes

It was delicious, tender, the outer parts were cooked perfectly. The inside muscles however were mushy, not great.

Aside from the shanks above, anyone tried any other lamb and how did it go?

2. mmBax

mmBax Member

Cheers for the review on the Joule Scon.

The size is one of the main selling points for me, if I can get away from bulky junk in the kitchen I’m all for it. I don’t like using my sandwich press because it’s too big and I’d rather use a frypan on low with a weight on top etc.

I looked at getting the anova because it’s so damn cheap and it keeps tempting me in that regard, but it just looks too big, when I think about storing it I keep thinking I’ll need to put it in the bulky items drawer, when something like the joule can go in my gadgets drawer that has my thermometers and all that other junk and still have room.

When you did the egg, did you set the temperature manually? Or did you use their cooking guide thing that you scroll through previews of the egg before setting it and moving on? The set and forget factor is good for people like my wife or my wifes family, that love the idea of cooking this way, but get really confused when it comes to temperatures.

Still holding out for them to release into the aus market, no idea what’s taking them so long really.

How much did you pay for it?

3. Oosh

Oosh Member

First thing I thougt too.

4. Revenge

Revenge Member

Always comforting to know one isn't the only sick bastard in the place...

5. scon

scon Member

Not sure about an AU release date. I suspect they're having supply issues or just making enough as they go. The first shipment sold out immediately and as soon as the 2nd was announced I bought one and it was an 8 week wait (which they advertised) before it shipped to me.

Also I was going to say it's a similar size to a "magic wand" but it appears others made that connection.

When I did the egg I set the temperature manually, however tonight I made some salmon steaks (again, another sous vide staple) and used the in built app which was idiot proof. They give you a range of temperatures to choose from, showing you exactly what it'll look like when it's done, then they ask you if it's frozen and what the thickness is and it calculates everything for you, super intuitive - the app is growing on me. Here's the salmon, cooked for at 50C for 40 minutes served with deep fried brussels sprouts and lentils. Didn't crisp the skin because the wife has pharangitis atm so wanted everything to be soft so she could eat it. Texture was perfect and the wife loved that cooking fish means that we don't have to stink up the kitchen which is another giant plus.

[​IMG]

6. stevenx

stevenx Member

I'm itching to get my hands on a Joule.

All we need now is a reasonably priced chamber sealer :weirdo:

7. Revenge

Revenge Member

A huge plus for me as well. I love the taste, can't stand the smell of cooking it.

That looks really nice...

One of the things I love about cooking sous vide is the flexibility with timing, while you can't go leaving something in for hours extra... with most things... if you are running 10 minutes behind with one element, you are safe to leave "the protein" in the bath for that little bit extra time..

8. scon

scon Member

Not entirely necessary... You can use ziplock bags and the water displacement method for most things that aren't super long cooks. Here's how to do it:

Edit:
    Hmm... a flat panini press might be the perfect implement to crisp up salmon skin after removing it from the fish after taking it out of the bag after cooking...

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  9. mmBax

mmBax Member

^Yeah this is a huge benefit for me as well.

We’ve been in our house for 6 or 7 years now and not once have we had any Christmas functions at ours. This year we bit the bullet and said that we would do breakfast. I’m sure most of the family would be fine with some ham, fried eggs and toast, but nope, I can’t go that simple.

But it should be easy. The plan for me is:
    Ham, Poached Eggs, Toast, Hollandaise, Baked Beans, Hash Browns, Mushrooms. And then just a fruit platter.

Ham – Cold
    Poached Eggs – Sous vide
    Toast… Grill probably – don’t own a toaster.
    Hollandaise – Sous vide + blender
    Baked Beans – night before, reheated in water bath if need be.
    Hash Browns – Oven probably
    Mushrooms, 5 minutes of cooking in a hot pan with some butter and herbs.

Should make prepping food for 12 people really easy.

10. yanman

yanman Member

I haven't done a huge amount of testing, but wasn't that impressed with sous vide eggs. I find it hard to beat my normal poached anyway:

Silicon muffin cups - rub a little butter inside each
    Crack eggs in
    Sit in a sauce pan (can do heaps at once)
    Pour in boiling water around them - enough to float. Cover with lid
    Simmer for 6 minutes

= Perfect poach (for me) .. runny yoke, solid white

11. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Or the old pour super hot oil on it with a metal ladle trick?

12. scon

scon Member

Yeah, that'd definitely work, but one of the absolute benefits of this is how little mess there is afterwards, just a ziplock back you chuck in the bin - though in this case I already had a pot of hot oil from deep frying the sprouts so that would have been perfect had I thought of it at the time.

13. yanman

yanman Member

I reckon a Searzall would do a good job too. Need to stick one on my xmas list

14. Oosh

Oosh Member

I did the xmas turkey skin in the oven, sandwiched between two oven trays (and paper), came up well.

15. scon

scon Member

Funny - i put up that photo of the sous vide egg on FB and all of the comments were how unappetising/phlegmy/snotty it looked.

Edit: I should boil one for 20 minutes to see if satisfies them :D

16. broccoli

broccoli Member

It's perfect. The white is set, what are they talking about? :confused: (mustn't eat poached eggs, that's what a normal poached egg looks like....)

17. Revenge

Revenge Member

Drop it and photograph it mid bounce...

18. mmBax

mmBax Member

Ah classic facebook. The worst ever medium for feedback.

It was always the same with photography stuff for me, put up 5 photos, 4 that I spent hours on, getting it right, some light retouching, nice framing etc. 2 likes. The 5th photo was taken through a wet paper bag, blurry, out of focus, no apparent focal point, could have been taken by a dog – 100 likes “this is the best photo I’ve ever seen!11”

-sighs.. gives up on facebook critique.

19. Revenge

Revenge Member

but a great reminder that even your own family and friends.. are... for the most part.... clueless twats.

20. scon

scon Member

So I just bought myself a Benzomatic TS4000 blowtorch. This thing is pretty serious looking!