Experiments with sous-vide cooking

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Amfibius, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Glitchlol

Glitchlol Member

Does anyone have recommendations for what cut of beef to use for skewers that'll be finished off on the bbq? (I might even do a marinade for them).

It's not until Saturday arvo, so I have the time to go for a loooooong cook if the cut requires it.

Also, would I be better off pre-chopping the beef into chunks before throwing them into a bag, or hold off until it's been through the sous vide, so it holds onto more moistness?

2. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Beef skewers aren't something i'd normally associate with sous vide, is there any reason you're set on doing them that way? BBQing such small pieces of SV meat would be a recipe for disaster in my opinion.

3. Glitchlol

Glitchlol Member

Maybe skewers isn't the right term. Think big chunks of meat on a stick, I think the Americans call them kabobs. I think a 3 day bit of sous vide beef would be perfect.

We're going camping, so I was thinking it'd be the perfect food to eat around the fire. Lamb cutlets would also be a pretty awesome option, if they weren't so expensive!

The way I see things is that about $50 worth of beef would be plenty while we're knocking back beers for a few hours.

A quick search suggests a 2-3 day cook of silverside or some other type of bottom cut of beef.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  4. Revenge

Revenge Member

Long cook in whole pieces. Ice bath it. Refrigerate for a day or two..
    Crack your bags open, cut the meat into chunks and thread onto your sticks
    Slather in sauce/marinade/rub etc.. "re-therm" over a stinking hot bed of coals.

Your meat should remain pretty tender and the outside should caramelise nicely with no risk of raw/uncooked bits.

5. Glitchlol

Glitchlol Member

Perfect. Thanks! I'll go beef shopping tonight on the way home from work so everything's ready for Saturday arvo!

6. Revenge

Revenge Member

If you want to make it interesting, use a few different types of dead critter...

Throw some beef, roo, pig, sheep, chook etc on...

7. Glitchlol

Glitchlol Member

Hmm, that'd require different temps for each critter I'm guessing. Might just stick with the beef for now. Less chance of screwing it up, plus silverside is pretty cheap!

8. Revenge

Revenge Member

Not really.. only a couple of degrees in it, and you can rectify that with time.

Besides, things like chook only need a couple of hours at most.

9. Narcoticx2

Narcoticx2 Member

Ah, sorry - you're right, it's worth a shot, sous vide or not.

600g chicken thigh fillets
    1x masterfoods butter chicken pre-mix recipe base (seriously) this one, not the jar.
    50g tomato paste
    40g butter
    300ml cream
    Basmati rice

Trim any gunk off the thighs and put them in a water bath for 4+hrs at 65C

When cooking time comes
    - Melt butter in a large pan over medium to high heat
    - Take chicken out of the bag and cut/shred in to bite size bits. Reserve the juice
    - Mix chicken in to butter, put in juice from the bag
    - Add butter chicken pre-mix, stir
    - Add tomato paste, stir
    - Add cream, stir
    - Add a little water, stir - I usually just rinse out the cream bottle and pour this in so maybe 60ml
    - Bring to a simmer, stir, and then reduce to desired thickness.

- Add 1:1.5 cups rice:water to a pot, bring to a gentle boil.
    - Cover, reduce heat to low and set timer for 12 mins
    - Remove from heat and leave for another 10. Do not take lid off at all.

What I like about this recipe is it's all pre-measured and makes a very quick meal mid week. The chicken thighs are usually pre-packed to 600g, the smaller cream tubs are 300ml, and a 4 pack of tomato paste sachets is 4x50g. The only thing you need to worry about is the butter, but i've found it to be a bit flexible.

Also, you can add frozen or fresh veggies and it comes out beautifully. I typically add carrot, peas, broccoli.

And of course, the best part is it tastes almost identical to the butter chicken at the curry place I used to work at.

10. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Bough an Anova the other Day, arrived yesterday
    Cooked chicken today, bit of Garlic Salt an olive oil in the bag, sealed via Water Immersion method, 2 Hours @ 63c, Chucked it on the griddle to sear when it came out.

Texture is good, but taste is bland... Tips for getting flavour into the chicken during the cook? or should I rely on saucing it after the fact?

11. caspian

caspian Member

try adding some fresh herbs to the bag before sealing, and substitute butter for oil.

12. Revenge

Revenge Member

I specifically avoid the addition of any oils or fats to the bag.
    It only serves to dilute any fat based flavours in the meat.

Even need to be careful with salt as you risk brining your meat in the bag, if you need to boost salt at that point use a dash of fish sauce.

13. bobfranklin

bobfranklin Member

Remove oil, use butter, fresh herbs, salt and pepper.
    When it's done sear it off in a screaming hot pan/searzall/blowtorch to crust it up.

I grew up on Raw milk straight from the dairy as they talk about, there's the potential to get sick of course but it varies greatly. That's interesting, wonder what the cost would be for it.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  14. damo2002

damo2002 Member

Got some nice scotch fillet steaks in the water bath for dinner tonight, then have the next 48 hours lined up with a pork shoulder and a brisket for tacos on Saturday night!

Hoping to find the time to get some sous vide cheesecake done for dessert as well! :Pirate:

Anyone have any preferred temps/times for either meat? Looking at 74 for 24 hours for the pork, 68 for 24 hours for the brisket at the moment!

15. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Just put some Scotch fillet in, 2 hours @ 53, finished on a searing hot Pan with butter to get a decent crust.

Texture was good, Taste was lacking. In hindsight, I'd rather have just chucked it on the Weber for a few minutes and been eating it at 6:30 instead of 8:30.

It wasn't bad, but it was just 'bland'. I think if I'm gonna continue with this Sous Vide caper, I need to get a bit more adventurous, as well as saucing afterwards.

16. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

I don't bother with steak in the SV, I too find a superior result from charcoal.

I find its much better for secondary cuts, to give them the texture and tenderness of prime cuts, without having to cook them "dry" so to speak.

Exception is salmon, eggs, and chicken breast.

17. Revenge

Revenge Member

I don't think I could eat salmon cooked any other way now... so, so, so silky smooth.

Love my 62.8c eggs....

hsvguy likes this.
  18. mmBax

mmBax Member

Swap out chicken breast for pork for me. But that looks spot on really. SV steaks I've only done a few times, and given the opportunity I'd rather do a slow roast in the oven or a straight bbq grill.

Really don't like the texture that chicken gets, I've had some nice stuff that's perfect for sandwich meat, and I've liked it after when I've tried the sv then bread and fry method. But for straight chicken breasts, not a fan.

19. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

What pork do you do?

20. Revenge

Revenge Member

I do a bit with pork loin medallions... SV them, shock them and then screaming hot cast iron pan to add some colour and bring them back to temp.

I do much the same with steaks and get pretty good results.
    SV, shock and then 'treat as raw' for a sear/re-therm.