Experiments with sous-vide cooking

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Amfibius, Nov 17, 2010.

1. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

Out of curiosity what are you cooking that requires 0.1 degree increments?

2. splbound

splbound Member

Eggs

3. splbound

splbound Member

I finally did get the damn Anova talking to the app on my phone but geez... it shouldn't have to be this hard. Paring a random yum cha bluetooth appliance was less trouble.

It's still going to my brother, I just want to smash the thing. Wireless and apps have no place in my Sous vide process. FFS why does it need the app for 0.1 increments, whoever thought of that should be sous vide for 48hrs @ 62c.

Revenge likes this.
  4. minushuman

minushuman Member

For anyone interested the Anova is on special at the moment for $149-$159 (BT and BT+Wifi) delivered https://au.anovaculinary.com/

I just picked one up, very keen to do eggs and chicken breast, then maybe move on to some big cuts of meat

5. bobfranklin

bobfranklin Member

I can't say I ever noticed it, if I wanted to be that accurate I probably wouldn't be using an immersion circulator either. Although you could always just set it to Fahrenheit and a .5 step there is like .27c. Eggs are fine in .5c steps though all the same. Good guide for them here
    https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/10/sous-vide-101-all-about-eggs.html

BTW to pair wifi - don't use a 5ghz wireless network, it just won't work.

6. splbound

splbound Member

Just annoys me greatly at the dependence of app connection with the Anova.
    My one is bluetooth only as its one of the first ones so even worse for compatibility and the range just sucks.

7. Glitchlol

Glitchlol Member

In America at the moment (DC) and noticed the Searzall on Amazon is only $85 AUD with free shipping. I'm here for the next two weeks, so I snagged one for myself. I guess I'd need approval to do a proper group buy.

8. FoxMaN

FoxMaN Member

9. Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

Anova have a code on their website to give customers 10% off at the moment for Mother's Day. I've had an email with a code that can give 20% off so if anyone wants the code pm me, it can be used 3 times. The code expires 13th May. Bluetooth one would be $119.20, Bluetooth and WiFi would be $127.20.

10. heller44

heller44 Member

Cooked my first since getting the Anova over a month ago, chicken breast. Mrs was very happy, as was I. Now to try something a bit more adventurous.

11. mmBax

mmBax Member

Is the Anova Nano a new thing? I just stumbled across a review of one last night and it is pretty much exactly what I've been waiting for. (Well, ideally I've been waiting for the Joule, I want something small form factor)

The Nano is definitely smaller ff than the original Anova, but it's still quite large compared to the Joule. Looks like the prices are similar, it's black and slimline, looks like a cool unit. However there's no wifi, only bluetooth. I'm not sure if this will be an issue for me though coming from something without an app controller at all. Might make the investment once they get back in stock.

https://au.anovaculinary.com/products/anova-precision-cooker-nano

12. bobfranklin

bobfranklin Member

Yeah brand new, I don't think they've gone on sale yet (was a delay or something apparently). The main advantage is that they're waterproof too. Circulation wise it's a little slower than the Precision model and isn't able to adjust to the container it's used in (can't move the clamp on the body).

There's a review on it.

13. mmBax

mmBax Member

I think I can handle that to be fair. I'm using a slow cooker at the moment with no circulation at all.

And I'll be investing in a large plastic tub. It says Sold Out on their online page, I've just shot them an email asking when they'll get some more stock in. Waterproof design is a good idea also.

14. bobfranklin

bobfranklin Member

Yeah I agree, really wish the Precision one was - bit of an oversight really. Guga was really impressed but said it's basically the first one you'd get and upgrade to something else later if you find you use it a lot.

15. caspian

caspian Member

the Precision wifi version is currently on sale for $169 shipped.

16. mmBax

mmBax Member

And just like that, the joule is released in the UK. Aus shouldn't be too far off really. Don't know how similar pricing would be.

17. blankpaper

blankpaper Member

I don't have an oven right now and am dying for a half-decent whole chook. I do have a bbq though, but it's not big enough or temperature controlled enough to do beer-can chicken or a rotisserie setup.

So I'm thinking sous-vide the whole chook then blast it on the bbq (maybe with a marinade/sauce of some kind) to get the skin a little crispier and it might be OK? Thoughts?

(NB: yet to get a sous vide thingymajig but looks like fun)

18. Revenge

Revenge Member

Keep in mind sous vide doesn't like having air in the bag (like the insides of a hollow chicken)... besides the buoyancy issue air is a terrible conductor of heat.

19. blankpaper

blankpaper Member

Ahh, good point.

Maybe half-chicken, vaccuum sealed? Still might be a bit difficult getting the bag to wrap around the leg and in the breast cavity...

20. Revenge

Revenge Member

Maybe a ballotine or a galantine?