Experiments with sous-vide cooking

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Amfibius, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Oosh

Oosh Member

Tempering chocolate, clever!

2. mmBax

mmBax Member

That's really clever, my Mrs wanted to do some chocolate coated strawberries a while ago, and I suggested sous vide, but I didn't know the process. Alex does some great stuff.

Well I bought myself an Anova Nano for 100 bucks, wanted to get away from my ghetto slow cooker rig. Had eggs for lunch, but the wife wasn't going to be home for dinner, so I went and got myself a piece of Kobe beef. Easily the best steak I've had in my life. Bit over an hour at 53.9. Excuse the hash browns and frozen peas, I didn't plan well enough to get some better accompaniments.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kommandant33 likes this.
  3. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

I just bought the Precision Cooker for $149, and I'm looking at recipes, methods, and final results - and I am getting a chubby. I can't wait!

4. Soc

Soc Member

40mm thick sirloin.
    1hr @ 53 degrees.
    3 mins on the Webber flipping ever 20sec
    received_346741469386667.jpeg

5. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Ink-bird, beloved chinese maker of stupidly cheap temperature and humidity controllers, PID controllers, meat thermometers etc, have a sous-vide circulator coming out... $85USD. I own quite a lot of their other stuff (three temp controllers, wireless thermometer, instant read thermometer, humidity controller) and it's all of great quality for the price. Will be curious to see what the circulator's like. At that price I do believe the minister of finance and war will approve, especially if I drop the "you can use it to temper chocolate" excuse :p

EDIT - $126AUD delivered

Oosh and Kommandant33 like this.
  6. bobfranklin

bobfranklin Member

Not a bad price for it all considered the WiFi and 1000W.
    Be keen to see how it compares to the Anova actually.

BTW Good work on the sales pitch!

7. Mjollnir

Mjollnir Member

Anyone got any recommendations for cheap sous vide containers? Used a metal pot the first time just seems to lose a lot of energy.

8. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

See if someone is getting rid of an esky on Gumtree or Facebook market place - then all you have to do is cut out a hole in the lid for the circulator - you will take a lot less energy to maintain the temp! Perfect if you plan on doing a week long cook, like black garlic

9. broccoli

broccoli Member

so, my new fancy egg cooking pot can sous-vide other stuff. Does anyone have any good & easy recipes for fish that I could give a go?

Kommandant33 likes this.
  10. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

What is this fancy machine?

I make fish tacos - super easy.

Snapper fillet- season with Salt, Pepper and Cumin. Vacuum seal in a bag, or put in the water bath using the water displacement method

Cook at 56'c for 30-40 mins.

After that time, optionally slap it on a ripping hot cast iron pan for about 3 seconds on each side for a bit of colour - but not necessary.
    Pull the fish apart and serve in soft shell tacos with your choice of toppings - here are some of our faves:
    Guacamole
    Corn with smoked paprika
    Tiny Tomato and coriander salsa
    Finely shredded iceberg lettuce

Super easy meal!

Next time I cook it, I will take some pics and give more detailed instructions.

11. broccoli

broccoli Member

Thanks. I like just plain old poached fish, I'd love fish tacos.
    It's an electric pot with a timer and a temperature probe for doing eggs in (but also other stuff, I've found out). https://www.breville.com/au/en/products/cookers/beg800.html

12. Sanity_Smith

Sanity_Smith Member

Just wanted to say thanks all for the great info in here. Got a setup sorted yesterday after years of procrastinating (thinking the youtube vids were all hype etc.) and I did the best steak I've had in a long time yesterday, and the juiciest most tender chicken breasts ever tonight. Cheers!

Kommandant33 likes this.
  13. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

What's the plan on the chicken breasts?

We sprinkle them with Masterfoods Moroccan seasoning, and then dump them in a 63.9'c water for an hour and a half, bring it out and sear them

14. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

I ended up ordering a gen4 anova in the current sale. Turns out the inkbird 230V version isnt on the market yet, and anova introduced the gen5 and slashed the price of the gen4 in opportune timing :D

Revenge likes this.