External HDD won't format to MS-DOS (FAT)

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by bevanbraves, Feb 13, 2018.

1. SpaceFrog

SpaceFrog Member

I believe UDF is for optical media only.

2. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

No, that's incorrect as it can be used for hard drives as well and the situation is not many people are aware its possible, if you don't believe me try it on a spare USB stick you may have. If your using MacOS and trying it on a hard drive then according to this article make sure the hard drive is not partitioned.

3. everybodies

everybodies Member

try older OS. High Sierra is not that much different to 10.11 for example. i can say honestly that no mounting issues, use a few exfat external disks and mac formatted ones.
    i dual boot with 10.10.5 and that got me out of formatting troubles.
    Linux is cool, and free, but time is not free, thats a problem lol

4. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

I use Linux every day on my daily driver for the running of my business and much more. Out of all the operating systems I run Ubuntu MATE is by far the most trouble free and least intrusive.

Don't believe everything you read about Linux, it's matured identically to macOS and Windows....In fact I think Windows is going backwards as opposed to maturing! ;)

5. everybodies

everybodies Member

he he, i dont need to believe anything, first linux i installed was Slackware 3.1 and that was i think about 20 years ago now.
    have wh0red linux for many years, Debian definitely has been the best for me, Suse and Kubuntu is pretty good too, cant stand Mate and Unity shite.
    last time i installed Debian it went to sleep while watching Plex from media server, i wasn't going to spend the weekend fixing that, not to mention stupid things like screen tearing etc.
    imagine a linux distro designed for one hardware configuration, no deviations, no mods, then you have mac osx and mac hardware. the only reason Mac OS is built on BSD is because if it was built on Linux then the licence requires to disclose source code.

6. flu!d

Interesting. I love Mate, having said that my DE's heavily tweaked - If you like macOS than you'll find my DE remarkably similar. I can't stand Unity, one of the worst DE's even to see the light of day IMO.

I run an Nvidia GPU and using the proprietary drivers with 'force composition pipeline' enabled I have absolutely no tearing whatsoever - Everything's perfect and gaming performance is fantastic, especially running Vulkan. One of the things I like about Linux is it's flexibility re: Hardware and personalization, I've never really had a problem with hardware compatibility under Linux. One of the things that I find frustrating about Apple is their closed ecosystem, it's something I simply don't agree with.

However, I'm defiantly having quite a few issues with High Sierra that I never experienced under El Capitan or even Sierra - I am regretting the upgrade and this is a spotlessly clean install as I hardly use it. Considering the controlled use of hardware I expect far better from Apple.

Here's a sneaky link showing my Mate desktop, I respect the fact that this is an Apple thread and won't post a full screenshot - Just something for you to gork at if your interested in how the Mate DE can be tweaked.

https://i.imgur.com/mhAsRCah.png

7. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Citation needed.

(Hint: go look at the history of NeXT, NeXTSTEP (developed years before Linux), and Steve Jobs' interaction with them and Apple).

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  8. everybodies

everybodies Member

what? you send me a link to a 2000 word document yet expect citation?
    google it lol

9. everybodies

everybodies Member

look. use carbon copy to clone your hard disk to external usb disk.
    install clean el capitan or whatever and migrate documents and apps, it works well.
    your usb3 ports might be sketchy.
    my point was that you have to fk around with stupid shit like screen tearing, no other os has this silly issue.' and there are many like this, just one example.
    I think KDE is the most polished user interface in linux. but that's behind me, i much prefer a hackintosh to linux these days, can get it all up and running within one hour, all apps and documents included. and not tinker with it every evening, even more when u do an update and shit breaks.
    gaming on linux? please, why bother, you might as well game on a mac if you're into shitty graphics.
    yes. the Mac environment can get very frustrating, i agree with you but it's worlds ahead of windows stupidity
    give hackintosh a try, youll forget about linux and save yourself tons of time

just imagine. building a PC. installing linux,, compiling a perfect kernel, drives,etc. then re-selling this identical PC with identical distro to millions for 2000$ a pop. thats what Mac has done, it's the biggest hippy con of the century

10. elvis

OK friend, let me spell it out for you.

MacOS started its life as NeXTSTEP, when Steve Jobs left Apple to run the NeXT company with the very pointed plan of returning and changing it to bend to his will. When he returned, he brought NeXTSTEP with him, which eventually became MacOS X 10.0.0.

NeXTSTEP was made years BEFORE Linux (1988, with Linux not available until 1991, and not viable as a production OS for another few years). So, re-quoting you:
    That's incorrect. The decision for Mac OS to be built on UNIX/BSD happened before Linux even existed, let alone existed as a viable commercial product.

I'm the biggest Linux fanboy around, so don't confuse what I'm saying. I'm responsible for literally thousands of Linux servers around the planet doing lots of crazy stuff, from shifting millions of dollars per day for finance companies to making Hollywood movies. I've used Linux, MacOSX, BSD and HP-UX in anger, and each and every time it reminds me how much more I prefer Linux to anything else.

But my love for a bit of software doesn't get in the way of objective truth. Mac OSX (now "macOS") was designed long before Linux existed. Conspiracy theories around licensing are moot, considering (1) Apple do indeed use GPL software in their stack (just not in the kernel), and (2) they comply with all licensing requirements to make source available when required - https://opensource.apple.com/

[edit]

And hell, you want the macOS kernel source? You got it:
    https://opensource.apple.com/source/xnu/xnu-4570.41.2/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XNU

flu!d and power like this.
  11. flu!d

I use KDE on my laptop, it's just another DE and I don't like the way I can't change the WM like I can under Mate. I'm not too sure why you're thinking that Linux is all about tearing? Yes, it has been an issue in the past, but those issues have mostly been resolved. KDE isn't really that polished, it does have issues just like High Sierra. I don't fk around with stupid shit under Linux, I fk around more with stupid shit under High Sierra and I don't need to clone my HDD using CCC to rectify anything.

As far as updates are concerned, my updater under Ubuntu Mate is a million times better than the joke of an updater under Windows 10 and better than the updater under macOS - I update all the time, in fact I look forward to it as there's always new features and I've never had shit break at all. It sounds like you're Linux 10 years ago?

In relation to gaming, I find Linux better than macOS due to Vulkan support, better drivers (especially in the case of Nvidia) and overall more flexable hardware support - Mac hardware is not designed for gaming, sleek may be beautiful, but sleek overheats quite easily and tends to rely on lower specification hardware to remain within thermal thresholds. Game adoption under Linux on Steam will overtake macOS on Steam.

I'm sorry, I had no intention of turning this into an argument, but you're very defensive - Are you aware of that?

I use macOS, Windows and Linux, out of all those operating systems I find Linux to be the more polished OS that suits my needs perfectly, as a result I use it every single day. I have issues with High Sierra and I'm by far not the only one.

Furthermore, Elvis is 100% correct. There's a reason why there's an 'X' in OS X (NeXTSTEP), the fact that it was also the roman numeral for 10 was a bit of handy irony.

elvis likes this.
  12. everybodies

everybodies Member

defensive? about what? i think you are turning this into an argument and being defensive about your uber linux crap.
    like i said, two times, screen tearing is just an example of ridiculous shit you have to deal with in Linux.

gaming under linux ? lol, you gotta be joking
    put 'ubuntu broken after update' into google, see how many hits you get, i got 7,4 million, yes, thats something always to look forward to.
    anyway, im done here, i thought we could have a friendly conversation, me and you, but i dont see that a possibility any more.
    yes, Elvis is correct, but the way he shares that information is equivalent to public masturbation, i bet he makes a lot of friends with that attitude.
    i'd rather be kind than right,

have a nice day

13. elvis

Yup, the "X" gag in the UNIX world has been around a long time. "Multics" preceded "UNIX", and the "ics" to "X" joke is so old, nobody can remember who came up with it.

But consider the lineage with Xerox, VAX, the X Window System and everything else, and you can see that oldschool developer humour shining through (along with classic recursive acronyms, which are the other big UNIX dev in joke). Very cool that both NeXT and OSX continued those "jokes", as a nod to their origins. For all the corporate BS that infests the software industry, it's nice to see some oldschool nerd humour sneaking in there from time to time.

There's no OS war here, friend. In 2018, we're all use to heterogeneous OS environments now. This is the new normal. The business I work for uses Linux, macOS and Windows on the desktop. We'd be mad to only stick with one vendor.

This thread, in fact, is born of someone's desire to format a disk with an OS that supports multiple OSes.

I am also responsible for (amongst many things) the Linux desktop fleet for a VFX studio with over 100 artists on Linux desktops. We don't have screen tearing. That was solved a long time ago (I've been with the studio 6 years, and it was solved before then).

No, we're not. You can play games on lots of different software. Linux too:
    https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/linux-gaming.643119/

In fact, I can't think of a computer operating system across history that doesn't have at least one game on it. (And finding old games on old computers is a hobby and passion of mine).

flu!d likes this.
  14. flu!d

Well, as stated a well built Linux box is a far more capable gaming system than any Mac that I know of under $8000,00.

Bear in mind that you're the one on the defensive here. I just stated that High Sierra is giving me trouble, as it is with many other people and that my daily driver Linux workstation keeps purring along perfectly without a hint of screen tearing.