1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

External Rad w/ thick fans vs Internal Rads

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by MikeCheck, Apr 11, 2022.

1. MikeCheck

MikeCheck Member

Hi guys,

I current have a dual-rad Meshlicious build which is going well but the thinkering bug has got me again.

The rads are a TX240 slim w/ 15mm Noctuas and a Corsair XR5 280mm w/ 140mm Toughfans (Noctua knockoffs). EK DDC pump and tube res.

I'm taken with the Phantek T30s and was thinking of replacing the 2 x radiators with 1 x external radiator. I was thinking a thickboi 360mm (XR7 or XE360).

It would be a fun project but I only want to play around with it if it's definitely at least the same if not better.

What do you guys think?

Cheers

M

2. Spyder6052

Spyder6052 Member

leave the internals and just add the externals to it

3. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Yep - talk to woja mate, beaut setup :thumbup:

woja likes this.
  4. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

5. OP
    OP
    MikeCheck

MikeCheck Member

Yeah I also thought about getting a MORA or whatever they're called, but I was mostly trying to keep it within the realms of non-insanity.

Might just yolo it. Who knows.

So I guess the subtext of the question what would a thicker rad with thicker fans be equivalent to the current setup? I know a thousand different variables but interested if anyone had switchs from multi-to-single even from case to case.

woja likes this.
  6. woja

woja Member

The main question that you want to ask is do you want the option to be able to run it without the external radiator set up as well as with?
    If you don't then it makes life so much easier as you can move the pump/res outside of the case and reduce the amount of tubing within the case. If you do want the option to run external or internal then you might need to lose one of the internal radiators as it will be a bitch to try and do it with the side rad taking up some space.

I'm making an educated guess in that a slightly larger external radiator will be fine as it gets fresh air that doesn't get recycled through another radiator or turn into a hotbox (although probably less of a problem in the meshi as its Meshilicious haha)

With my wife's Meshi I can disconnect my QDC to the Iceman res/pump and plug in my external set up.
    [​IMG]

If I were in your situation I'd keep the front 280mm and mount the pump/res onto your externally mounted 360 and get the best of both worlds of a less cluttered case with extra thermal headroom.