1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

External radiator or use air cooling?

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by memnoch, Apr 16, 2013.

1. memnoch

memnoch Member

Hi all,

Im new to watercooling, I am considering it for my main rig that I use to mine bitcoins when not in use for gaming. I am looking into watercooling to reduce the noise my PC generates. And reduce the stress on the components.

I am having trouble finding external radiator setups other than something from AquaComputer in Germany.

Does anyone else make something similar to http://shop.aquacomputer.de/product_info.php?products_id=2674

The plan is to water cool a I7 3770k and 2x 7970.
    Moderate overclocking on the video cards in my aim (1100-1200mhz clock on the GPUs).

Alternatively are there any good aftermarket air cooling options for the video cards that would reduce the temps from 80-70c under full load down to around 50c?

2. leithals

leithals Member

Water cooling sounds perfect for you. It's not cheap though. Aquacomputer, IMO, produces the best stuff at the moment. And the external system you linked to is a beautiful thing. However its not going to offer enough cooling for you.

Once again it's only my opinion, but I think you need more like 5x120 of RAD. There's definitely stuff around that will let you build your own external RAD housing, most though will have a internal (in the PC) pump and reservoir. Most of the fun is in choosing the parts :)

Good Luck.

3. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

A 360 rad will be fine for reducing noise and also temperatures, there is no reason to go overkill.
    Pick up an XSPC Raystorm D5 RX360 from thekoolroom and a couple of extra GPU blocks+fittings and you're set. If the stock fans aren't too your liking, get 6 low speed Yate Loons from p-pcs. I'd reccomend running the GPUs in parallel.
    You can always externally mount a triple easy on top or back of your case.

4. converge

converge Member