Extracting data from dead MBP

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by breno, May 2, 2019.

1. breno

breno Member

I've got a MBP here that has a dead logic board and I want to get the data off the HDD. Is it like PC, can I take HDD out, plug into another Mac externally and retrieve files?

2. DarkSnipa

DarkSnipa Member

Yep just like a regular PC you can just take the HDD out and plug it into another Mac and retrieve those files

3. ~Coxy

~Coxy Member

Which model MBP? Newer ones will have soldered NAND instead of SSD, and even slightly older ones have a proprietary SSD which is not-quite-M2.

4. power

power Member

restore from a backup, i mean what model?

5. aokman

aokman Member

What year model Macbook? Depending on generation, it will have a removable HDD / SSD similar to but not the same as NVMe. There are also options to recover from USB port or lifeboat connector despite what Internet trolls will tell you.

Does it power on?

6. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

You can get an adapter which converts the M.2'ish similar looking connector to a regular SATA or M.2 connection.

If it's soldered NAND you're virtually fucked and have to resort to drastic measures to resolder the NAND onto a working donor board or prototype board adapter to retrieve the data.

7. miicah

miicah Member

Thanks Apple

Thapple

JSmithDTV, 3Toed and Matthew kane like this.
  8. aokman

aokman Member

Wrong, the life boat connector or USB ports can be used to extract the data and clone data to another device. Stop making assumptions just because its soldered.

Desoldering the chips will do nothing as they are encrypted to the hardware T2 secure enclave chip. That is the whole point.

demiurge3141, Zee and SpudBoy like this.
  9. OP
    OP
    breno

breno Member

It's actually m.2 and I discovered m.2 to usb adapters are around $60-$70

And no it doesn't power on.. I removed the heatsink and found corrosion/liquid damage and rust lol

10. power

power Member

if it's M2 that's easy you should be able to drop it into another mac. i'd probably boot from an external drive then read the internal drives data. really though encourage this person to get a time machine in future, recovery on a mac is such an unnecessary thing if you just use time machine.

11. aokman

aokman Member

Pretty sure Apple have never used the M.2 interface in the Macbook Pro due to the speed limitations at the time. Be careful as you might fry it.

The interface looks similar yes but it's a custom interface. OWC have adapters for them.

12. miicah

miicah Member

M2 is just an interface, how can it have speed limitations?

Are those not fast enough?

13. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

Apple koolaid increases speed 200%

14. ~Coxy

~Coxy Member

PCIe M2 wasn't ratified or whatever when Apple started using PCIe SSDs.

15. aokman

aokman Member

I have no idea of the technicalities of it as it was quite a while ago but their was some weird limitation that kept other brands capped to regular SATA speeds but in a smaller form factor. Apple were the first at the time to hit 1500MB/s speeds.

It is definitely not a standard SSD but OWC make replacements and enclosures. I think there is a converter available for modern NVMe SSD’s also

16. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

2014 macbook I owned before I upgraded to the 2018 model, I stuck an M2 NVME drive inside, and without LOTS of EFI hacking, the machine was flakey at best. After modding the EFI (which had to be done with hardware each time the machine did an EFI rom update), it didn't know the difference. However yes you can get an apple proprietry SSD adapter (up to 2015 models) to usb converter, plug it into another mac, and make a backup from it, and even boot from it holding down option.