Extreme Edition Dual Cores - 4 threads!

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Xassius, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Xassius

Xassius Member

Perhaps posted earlier today...but here it is anyway

===================================================

INTEL HAS DOUBLE VISION: FIRST MULTI-CORE SILICON PRODUCTION BEGINS

Dual-core System Introduction in Second Quarter 2005

SANTA CLARA, Calif., 8 February, 2005 – Intel Corporation today announced it has completed initial production runs of dual-core processors and provided further details about its multi-core plans to its customers, signalling the beginning of an era when PCs will have two or more “brains” inside.

Intel plans to deliver two separate dual-core products and dual-core-enabled chipsets for its Pentium® processor-class families in the second quarter, including the Pentium® processor Extreme Edition. The Intel® Pentium® Processor Extreme Edition will include Hyper-Threading Technology, providing the ability to process four software “threads” simultaneously.

“In addition to our products, we are investing heavily to further prepare the industry for the shift to multi-core computing platforms,” said Robert Crooke, vice president, Desktop Platforms Group and general manager, Desktop Marketing and Strategic Planning, Intel. “We accelerated this effort with the introduction of Hyper-Threading Technology three years ago and we’re extending it by building multi-core processors. Platforms based on Intel multi-core technology will provide the performance and responsiveness consumers and businesses need to get the most enjoyment and productivity from their applications.”

These first dual-core desktop platforms reflect Intel’s continued investment in silicon and platform innovation, manufacturing technology, capacity and industry enabling efforts that span the desktop, server, workstation and mobile market segments.

“As the leader in the extreme gaming, consumer and workstation markets, Dell plans to offer Intel's powerful dual-core processor technology on high-end systems,” said John Medica, senior vice president, Dell Product Group. “No other companies make innovative technology more affordable to large groups of customers than Dell and Intel.”

Dual- and multi-core products are designed by including two or more full CPU cores within a single processor enabling the simultaneous managing of activities. When combined with HT Technology, which allows a processor to present itself as two logical processors, the Pentium Processor Extreme Edition product can process four software threads simultaneously by more efficiently using resources that otherwise may sit idle.

Platforms based around Intel’s dual-core Pentium Processor Extreme Edition are an ideal solution for PC computing and entertainment enthusiasts who crave computing power for audio, video, digital design and gaming tasks. The Pentium Processor Extreme Edition will be combined with a new chipset named the Intel® 955X Express chipset, formerly codenamed “Glenwood,” that includes features such as Intel® High Definition Audio, PCI-Express and faster dual-channel DDR-2 memory. Intel will also couple its mainstream “Smithfield” processor with two new chipsets named the Intel® 945G Express chipset and Intel® 945P Express chipset, both previously code-named “Lakeport” in the second quarter of the year.

Intel has more than ten multi-core related projects underway and plans to increase its software and solutions enabling product lines, tools, investment and programs to further spur software design and validation.

About Intel

Intel, the world’s largest chip maker, is also a leading manufacturer of computer, networking and communications products. Additional information about Intel is available at www.intel.com/pressroom.

-ENDS-

*Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.

Intel and Pentium are registered trademarks of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.

2. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

wow, if they can deliver on this, we might forget all the delays and cancellation we have seen in 2004.

3. OP
    OP
    Xassius

Xassius Member

Quad Extreme Edition Dual Core Xeons. :leet:

4. eva2000

eva2000 DDR1/DDR2/DDR3 Addict

does that mean only EE dual cores will have HT, keep the price tag high and non-EE dual cores won't have HT ?

5. Ellroy80

Ellroy80 Member

This would be kickass for folding - four different proteins on one computer!!

6. OP
    OP
    Xassius

Xassius Member

yes...intel's PR department at work ;)

7. caz67

caz67 Member

GOD..That will be awesome, can you imagine Dual Core EE's with Phase Change??

8. OP
    OP
    Xassius

Xassius Member

Dual Core Extreme Edition :leet: Phase Change :leet: 4.5Ghz!!!! = 9Ghz of raw power!

9. lazyboy1984

lazyboy1984 Member

let's just forget the rest for a moment, i just want those 4 threads! :leet:

//ctrl-alt-del... oops, i had a accident. some1 hand me a tissue.

10. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

I marvel at so much of commercial "ingenuity". :D

11. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

well that explains the lack of HT on the vanilla dual cores.

any bets on the price the dual core HT processors will debut at?

i'd say $2k wouldn't be out of the question.

12. jboles

jboles Member

Man I can't wait for dual cored Xeon's!

2 sockets x 2 cores x 2 hyperthreads = 8-way MP!!!

13. yaputzis

yaputzis Member

I wonder how many watts these chips will produce.

14. Smithjoe1

Smithjoe1 Member

Got bandwith?

Especially for Xeon, call me a fanboy, but 4x Xeons have enough problems managing their 800mhz FSB as it is, because you have 4 threads accessing ram all along that one channel, if they all access it at once, they get about 200mhz each, slow.

When you have 8 threads, thats 100 each, not good at all, if intel is going to get this to work, especially for the Xeon system, they will need a complete archiceture change, something like hypertransport :D

Plus The pentium 4 archiceture is extremley complex, far too complex to make it all work out efficently for dual cores imho, they need a complete change in design, something like the P-M would be perfect, short pipelines and a simple archiecture would work alot better imho. Plus if you got the P-M upto the P4-EE clockspeeds, imagine how good that would be, seeming that a 2.2ghz P-M has been benchmarked and was on par with the FX55 and the P4EE3.8(or something like that) If you brought that upto 3.8ghz, nothing could beat it, and if you gave that 64bit design :D :D :D

15. cvidler

cvidler Member

Welcome to my world everyday. My workstations at work are all dual Xeon (and theres a dual UltraSparc3 SunBlade1000, but that's a heap of steaming ....), not mentioning all the 4x and 8x servers.

Also I've got two dual Xeon boxes at home (2x 3.06 @ 3.8, and 2x 2.4 @ 3.6), and if you don't mind two REAL threads (no HT), I've got 2 dual 1GHz P3 boxes, and a dual Celeron box too.

Someone likes SMP, guess who.

16. eva2000

eva2000 DDR1/DDR2/DDR3 Addict

i wonder who ? :D

wonder how these dual cores would perform as web/database servers :)

17. wastegate

wastegate Member

That is what I'm looking at too.

I just hope some software that is licenced per CPU doesn't see dual cores as "2 cpus"..

18. jastormont

jastormont Member

I got a e-mail the other day from 1 of our suppliers what is a Lic's newsletter we get. In the news letter it spoke of software compaines redoing there agreements due to the release soon of Dual Core CPU's. It did not say how they will be doing this. I just hope it does not cost more and that it is treated the same with software vendors as they treated the Hyper threading when it came out.

19. DavoRulz

DavoRulz (Banned or Deleted)

g0t heat?

I bet I could cook my dinner on that sucker, maybe it's Intel's move to get into all the other segments of the home, their CPU could be toaster, stove, oven(when put in an appropriate case), heater, hell, stick it in a container and you no longer have need for a kettle......

Seriously though, how does Intel plan to deal with the heat given the heat of the current prescott range?

20. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

well, as we all know Intel is rather inexperienced in the such matters. Processor design and manufacturing is a side business for them, and they are not selling 86% of all processors. Although production of dual core processors has already started after years of working on this, it's quite likely they simply forgot the heat issue. Let's hope they make at least good on their warranty. :(

Last edited: Feb 9, 2005