"F" chord banned

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by broccoli, Apr 1, 2017.

1. broccoli

broccoli Member

April Fool's. How I wish it were true.....:(

My teacher has given me a modified version, where I only have to barre 2 strings. I can make those sound, but when I add another 2 fingers the whole thing turns to crap. It's either/or, not the whole lot.

Internet/teacher tell me that you just have to keep practising. One guy says to turn your barring finger over to the boney side. Sure, and how are you meant to turn one finger in the opposite directions and still use your other fingers on the opposite side?

Any other tips to save me from throwing this guitar in the skip bin and turning to drink?

signed
    Desperate and pathetic useless lump what can't do things

2. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Buy a better guitar. The cheaper the guitar, the harder the barre..

However.. learn to do it on a cheap and crappy steel string with impossibly high strings first, develop skills, callouses and finger strength, THEN when you finally buy a nice guitar, you turn into Tommy Emmanuel overnight.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
    Groff likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

I can't blame my guitar. It's nice. It's not the guitar, it's me. :(

(EDIT: mentioning Tommy Emmanuel is just cruel :D)

4. Boneman

Boneman Member

Practice the shape further up the fret board where its easier, make sure you have good posture and your fretting thumb is centered behind the neck. You can also roll your hand slightly towards the head stock to help develop a callous on the outside of your index finger. It does take time for a beginner though so dont rush it or you'll hurt yourself.

5. alexb618

alexb618 Member

you can do a f major 7 if you want to get the f sound without doing the shape properly but its a bad habit.

basically, there is no easy way, just time.

ever wondered why heaps of people who are good at guitar are unemployed bogans? :)

6. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

Thanks for all of the replies. Even when you read this, hear it told to you, yada yada, it's hard not to feel that there's something wrong with you when you can't do something.

I've set myself a goal to conquer this beast and (shakes fist) by jove, I'm going to!:lol: It's hard for me to stay motivated and do anything, it does help to get it off your chest from time to time and get some encouragement to keep plugging away.

7. negatron

negatron Member

I did it the opposite way,

I was (still am) learning on a good guitar (cole clark fat lady), and then when i needed to learn the F bar chord, got my hands on a really really good guitar (Martin HD-28V) which had a different neck profile, and somehow that helped me develop my technique so i can at least play the darned chord properly.

8. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

My new guitar has a neck profile I like (different to the acoustics), it's quite easy to play (in my case, try to play :D). As I said, it's not the guitar, it's just me :(.

9. jji7skyline

jji7skyline Member

Try practicing the F minor chord first, it requires less overall grip strength but will still help you to play clean barre cords.

10. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

Holey thread necro batman, I'd forgotten my plaintive cry out to the internet :D. I have been tackling an F#minor in my latest piece. I can sort of do it now, noise comes out and it doesn't sound completely terrible, but I still can't get each note cleanly. the second and third strings are a bit of a wash out. I'll just keep trying, one day, maybe....

11. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

Scale length and string gauge can play a.massive part.but I'm against learning chords near the nutt. They are the last thing. After scales , pentatonic, chromatic and chord shapes in the 8-12 fret range.

12. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

I'm happy to do everything there. I took up the guitar because I had a sore thumb knuckle, was getting arthritis/old age decrepitude. The bigger the stretch, the more my tin man stiffness is warded off. (my left hand now feels more flexible than my dominant right hand, I need to get on the piano and get that one moving. It had started feeling like a claw, just there but not good for much.)

13. jji7skyline

jji7skyline Member

Oops, should try reading timestamps more often :p

Lighter strings sounds like a good idea, but you run into issues with having to adjust the truss rod, and having lower volume when switching to a string gauge that is too much lighter than the one your guitar is set up for.

F#m is definitely a good chord to start learning barre chords with as being further away from the nut will give you lower tension in the strings, without going too far up the neck where the strings will start having to be pressed down further.

Of course, you could do what I did and learn to play barre chords on a classical guitar with wide set nylon strings. Pretty much any other guitar feels easier to play after that :)

14. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

I'll have to dig out my classical and give it a whirl, but don't really fancy torturing myself even more than I am already. :D

I think the strings on this one are fairly light. In any case, I'd rather just persist with everything "normal" than try to make it easier and then have to try to adjust again later. I must have made some progress in getting stronger fingers because I tried a "proper" F after this thread got bumped and I can (sort of) do it now. The harder part now is jumping from or to the barre chord.

15. TomJ

TomJ Member

F chord is a bit of bugger. a Bm is a little easier to manage without cramping.

16. grommet80

grommet80 Member

I find stretching for a B pretty hard. I'm ok with a F though

17. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

Yes, I'm finding now that it isn't my barring finger that's the issue, it's the other fingers, mainly my middle one. Separating them like Mr Spock does't come naturally to me, nor does plonking them all as one.

18. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

Any tips on how to manage to change (barre) chords and land them where they're meant to be? A lot of advice for practising says to practise slowly and work up, but that doesn't really help with chords because that movement's always got to be lickety-split to be on time for the start of the next bar.
    It doesn't seem as hard when it's 2 chords next to each other/sort of in the same place, but when one's a few frets up and a different shape then it's a non-starter.

:upset::(

19. pezzy

pezzy Member

you can strum the last note open and use that extra time to change to your next chord. your hand should be relaxed between transitions. but i think once muscle memory sets in, that will come automatically along with switching quickly and accurately.

with grip strength, i find if i place my thumb at the middle of the neck i get a stronger grip strength with my fingers. for further strength, i would use my whole arm to pull back a little to put less stress on my fingers.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  20. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

Thanks.
    I think my muscles are senile, along with my head :D None of my bits seem capable of remembering anything.
    Grip strength/doing the barre is not hard any more. I got a new (as in new to me) guitar and it's really easy on it, it has a very low action.
    sigh, I'm feeling discouraged today, I'll just keep plugging away. sigh.